1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
For the best cut, wide open throttle.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Wide open throttle is the only way. My dad's a lawn mower mechanic and has been his entire life. He's got a friend who will not mow at full throttle. Then complains about his mower not cutting well.

U need the blade rpms so wot is the only way.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Edited thread title

You want the mid-PTO to be at 2100 RPMS.
As Kenny posted blades turning at 2100 rpm the engine is apx 32-3250rpm or WOT.
Look at your dash then item B then see the small marking at apx 3200 RPM that is where you should be running your engine speed .
Line Font Parallel Auto part Circle

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Max throttle. Tractor engines are governed to maintain the optimum engine speed for output / efficiency / cooling at max throttle. There is no benefit to run any less when performing work like cutting / tilling / snowblowing.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Set the throttle at the recommended speed of 3200 rpm

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I agree with 2100 PTO rpm, I haven't noticed any better cut when running WOT unless the grass is so thick and deep that's it's pulling the engine RPMs down.

·
Registered
892 Posts
At the RPM speed and PTO mark on the tachometer, most will will give you 540 on the rear and propper rpm at the mid attachment.. No need to run your engine any harder than needed...

Check your owners manual..

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I usually run about 50 rpm over when using the mmm, so 2150 PTO rpm so that when I get into some thick stuff or going up a hill I'm still getting 2100 rpm at the deck. Is it the thing to do? IDK, it's just what I like to do.

·
Administrator
22,931 Posts
Reactions: trav

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,227 Posts
i have a new 54d deck and am not sure what rpm's to run at. any advice?
Am I the only one that's surprised this wasn't discussed by the dealer?

It's also explained in the manual.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,802 Posts
The hour meter display area in the dash control unit will show the actual RPM's of the PTO selected when the PTO is engaged. It cycles back and forth displaying the number of hours on the machine while displaying the hourglass symbol and then will display the PTO RPM's when the PTO is turned on and the PTO icon is illuminated. The PTO icon is shown as item H in the lower right of the dash illustration in ETcallhome's post, which is number 6 in the reply postings.

When the PTO is engaged, you will see the slight variation in the actual PTO output as the numbers displayed digitally in the lower center of the dash unit are shown to the machine operator. As you encounter taller or thicker grass, the RPM's will likely decline slightly just as when climbing a steep hill and mowing.

To achieve 2,100 RPM's of Mid PTO speed generally requires about 3,200 RPM's of engine operation speed, which is where the PTO sysmbol is located on the tachometer. This is the same engine speed needed to achieve the 540 RpM's for the rear PTO when its the selected output location.

Just remember, the engine tachometer ALWAYS shows the engines operating speed while the digital display where the machine hours total is shown at the bottom center of the dash shows the actual PTO Speed when the PTO is engaged.

·
Premium Member
1025R, '30 Ford, '08 Range Rover Supercharged, '63 MGB, '92 300ZX twin turbo, '73 Courier 2.3 turbo
532 Posts
i have a new 54d deck and am not sure what rpm's to run at. any advice?
High rpm - see the little PTO indicator? That's where you set engine rpm for mowing, too. Then set your over the ground speed so you get a nice clean cut. Too fast = poor cut. Too slow = wasted time and fuel. Adjust tractor speed for the grass to be cut cleanly (depends on grass thickness, cut height, damp vs wet vs dry, etc).

Reactions: trav

·
Registered
2022 1025R
278 Posts
The hour meter display area in the dash control unit will show the actual RPM's of the PTO selected when the PTO is engaged. It cycles back and forth displaying the number of hours on the machine while displaying the hourglass symbol and then will display the PTO RPM's when the PTO is turned on and the PTO icon is illuminated. The PTO icon is shown as item H in the lower right of the dash illustration in ETcallhome's post, which is number 6 in the reply postings.

When the PTO is engaged, you will see the slight variation in the actual PTO output as the numbers displayed digitally in the lower center of the dash unit are shown to the machine operator. As you encounter taller or thicker grass, the RPM's will likely decline slightly just as when climbing a steep hill and mowing.

To achieve 2,100 RPM's of Mid PTO speed generally requires about 3,200 RPM's of engine operation speed, which is where the PTO sysmbol is located on the tachometer. This is the same engine speed needed to achieve the 540 RpM's for the rear PTO when its the selected output location.

Just remember, the engine tachometer ALWAYS shows the engines operating speed while the digital display where the machine hours total is shown at the bottom center of the dash shows the actual PTO Speed when the PTO is engaged.
Thank you for that information and description. I was wondering how people knew their PTO speed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts