Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just wanted some input from you folks

I do realize that there will be differences from machine to machine but mine seems to have best performance at about 1700 rpm and in b3 gear when bush in not more then 5-6 inches

·
Administrator
23,184 Posts
There should be a yellow mark on the tach, that will be the recommended engine RPM that makes the rear PTO spin at 540 RPM, you should never be below that-or to much above that for a rotary cutter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There should be a yellow mark on the tach, that will be the recommended engine RPM that makes the rear PTO spin at 540 RPM, you should never be below that-or to much above that for a rotary cutter.
Well there is 2 yellow marks so I will assume anywhere between them is fine just need to keep eye on finished cut

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found this
Recommended Engine Speeds and Operating Procedures

PY6498

A-Tachometer
B-2400 rpm Mark (540 PTO rpm)

Tachometer (A) shows engine rpm, read in hundreds.

Warming Up Engine
Do not place tractor under full load until it is properly warmed up.

1. Idle engine at 1200-1500 rpm for several minutes.
2. Run engine at about 1900 rpm and under light load until engine reaches normal operation condition.

Avoid Idling Engine
Allowing engine to idle at low rpm uses fuel inefficiently, and can cause a build-up of carbon in the engine.

If tractor must be left with the engine running more than three or four minutes, minimum engine speed should be 1200 rpm.

Observe Engine Work and Idle Speeds
Slow idle speed should be 825 ±25 rpm. At light or no load, full throttle speed will increase to 2625 ±25 rpm.

Normal working speed is 1600-2400 rpm rated speed. Within these limits engine can be put under full load.

For correct PTO speed, run engine at 2400 rpm for standard 540 rpm operation.

Restarting Stalled Engine
Should the engine stall when operating under load, depress clutch and restart it immediately to prevent abnormal heat build-up and continue with normal operation, or operate at slow idle for one or two minutes before stopping.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
PTO speed is good unless the field being bush hogged looks like Tarzan lives there,,,

If you take your tractor on such a "safari",,, a much lower speed must be used.

Only stealth, and slow speed will allow you to find the elusive tiger stump,,,

or the elephant rock,,, or the rhino bed frame,,,, or the lion car fender,,, :laugh:

if you enter such a field at PTO speed while mowing,,, expect problems,,,, :dunno:

·
Registered
937 Posts
PTO speed is good unless the field being bush hogged looks like Tarzan lives there,,,

If you take your tractor on such a "safari",,, a much lower speed must be used.

Only stealth, and slow speed will allow you to find the elusive tiger stump,,,^^^^^^

or the elephant rock,,, or the rhino bed frame,,,, or the lion car fender,,, :laugh:

if you enter such a field at PTO speed while mowing,,, expect problems,,,, :dunno:
Actually you are dead wrong here. You can most certainly find that elusive tiger stump, broken T post, cinder block, or irrigation riser at full RPMs!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Actually you are dead wrong here. You can most certainly find that elusive tiger stump, broken T post, cinder block, or irrigation riser at full RPMs!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My next door neighbor has a nephew that grinds pastures for him with a kinda new 5 Series.

He runs that 6 foot bush hog at full PTO speed.

The rocks, branches and other obstacles make the semi-annual event sound like WW III

We are entertained,,, they regularly buy PTO shaft components,,
Last month we heard them saying "Oil is pouring out!!"
I do not know what that was,,,, :dunno:

:kidw_truck_smiley:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.