Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had asked Santa for "Ken's Bolt On Hooks" and did not receive them. Just kidding. I am torn on what style to purchase. The bolt on style which would be quick and easy. Or, the weld on style, mounting them to a steel plate that runs across the width of my JD 2305 bucket. A friend of mine had a JD 4115 with a Fil. He had welded three hooks to a steel plate, then bolted the plate to the top of bucket. So I guess my question would be, Do I need to reinforce to top of the bucket with a plate of steel for the three hooks?
I do not know if the steel on the JD 4115 bucket is same thickness as the JD 2305. I am sure the gauge of steel on the 2305 bucket is adequate for material handling, how about lifting from the center point only? :dunno:
Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I have the 2305 and 3 hooks 2 KBOH's and 1 (Center) is a custom. I used the drill type and the biggest washers I could find to fit on the inside of the bucket. Never had any problems to date (5 years) I think Ken has backer plates or better yet Shackle plates that fit inside the bucket which would hold better and add more option/functions I would add no issues w/ lifting with center point alone, if you do flex the bucket you are lifting too much...

Ken??

good luck Fred

Reactions: Levi

·
Old Pa-pa
11,932 Posts
I had asked Santa for "Ken's Bolt On Hooks" and did not receive them. Just kidding. I am torn on what style to purchase. The bolt on style which would be quick and easy. Or, the weld on style, mounting them to a steel plate that runs across the width of my JD 2305 bucket. A friend of mine had a JD 4115 with a Fil. He had welded three hooks to a steel plate, then bolted the plate to the top of bucket. So I guess my question would be, Do I need to reinforce to top of the bucket with a plate of steel for the three hooks?
I do not know if the steel on the JD 4115 bucket is same thickness as the JD 2305. I am sure the gauge of steel on the 2305 bucket is adequate for material handling, how about lifting from the center point only? :dunno:
Thanks, Bob
Lamborghini Diablo, if ya going to go with this premise, go big.:lol:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
Lamborghini Diablo, if ya going to go with this premise, go big.:lol:
Well if he's going to go big then he'll have to do so with American Muscle. Lamborghini Diablo, what's that? :dunno: :munch:

·
Administrator
18,493 Posts
The top of the buckets are made from 10 gauge steel, and they are all virtually the same (except for the width) between your friends 4115/410 and the current 1 and 2 series with the H120 and H130 loaders. While a heavy steel plate might be nice for some (that may abuse their machines), its just not needed if common sense is used.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I started with 2 hooks and shackle backers, BUUUUUTTTT when Kenny announced the outlet sale I bought another set for the center. I found that I like to center lift some things and would rather have one chain pulling straight than side pulling from the two outside hooks. I don't think it will hurt the hooks, just a preference. I have not tested the limits yet, but it sure looks and feels like a solid setup.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the move and editing.
After reading your responses, I have decided to go with three bolt-on clevis's with backer plates. After they are painted and installed on the JD 2305 bucket, their first chore will to lift and remove gas engine from garden tractor for a starter replacement. My body will surely appreciate it.:bigthumb:
Thanks, Bob

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
I installed a set of Ken's "Bolt-on" hooks when I purchased my original 2720 w. 200 CX loader. When that 2720 went "down the road" the hooks stayed and are now proudly mounted to my 3320 w. 300 CX loader. The welded-on versions are more like a commitment........not that it's a bad thing.

·
Registered
23,272 Posts
I installed a set of Ken's "Bolt-on" hooks when I purchased my original 2720 w. 200 CX loader. When that 2720 went "down the road" the hooks stayed and are now proudly mounted to my 3320 w. 300 CX loader. The welded-on versions are more like a commitment........not that it's a bad thing.
Good point. I bought my hooks before Ken was doing this and had to go with weld on hooks. When I traded up from my 2210 to my 2520 I actually kept my old bucket with the hooks instead of getting the brand new bucket. I had a heck of a time finding someone to weld those hooks on and wasn't going to go through that again......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts