Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been given the 5th delivery time for my 1025r when I gave my $1000 down I was told it would be delivered next week & that was month ago. Excuses have been "short of help" "we have everything but haven't put it together " etc etc. I want to call and cancel the deal, trust and now huge doubt on servicing if they are short of help. I have never been good at dealing with people that tell me what they are going to do & then not do it. Especially ones you pay the price that they get. Will I loose my $1000 down money?

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
That's a tough one. Any chance you could drop into the dealer unannounced? Just to get a feel of the day to day operations. If they are short on help with delivery service could be the same way. Is your dealer just a L&G dealer or do they sell the big agriculture equipment as well? If so you are small potatoes to them. Do you have another dealer you can go to? Hate to see you cancel a deal and then have to go an hour away. Might be worth a polite conversation with service manager to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
I agree with cheesetrain, that's a tough one.
Were the parts and equipment late coming in or are they late putting it all together?
I hate to say it but maybe the dealer is swamped with repair work which is common this time of year. I know my dealer will work on equipment that people make a living with before they would work on my stuff, and I'm ok with that but it has never been an issue.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can forgive delays if the dealer is straight forward and honest about it - it is the busy time of the year. However - incompetence in staffing and not communicating and being dishonest I will not tolerate. I like the idea of showing up unannounced and finding out what is really happening. It's a lot easier to dog off a phone call than it is a live person standing there expecting answers. Give them a personal visit and see what's going on at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Tuff call. I think I would stop in and tell them if they cant get you a tractor soon [ set a date ] you want your money back and are going elsewhere. :unknown:

Things happen, they may be waiting for a part. they could really be swamped and are taking care of those that make the most noise first.

My dealer is huge. Sell every thing from string trimmers to the largest tractor Deere makes. They still manage to give great service to those of us with little tractors.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All equipment is and has been there since day one. He does sell the large farm equipment also and maybe these repairs are taking precedence, but he could tell me that info. I am dealing with the owner not the sales person and he has called me for the first time today, I have initiated all calls for communication & that does not speak well for the dealership. At this point I am going to drive there in the morning & have a talk with him. I have not made up my mind to cancel, but I do not like what I may be getting into. I have other equipment and this will not stop me from completing anything but this type of machine would have made it a lot easier and the mowing faster. Has the 0% deal been extended to the end of May?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
the 0% has been around for along time. I don't see it going away anytime soon.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
The $1250 rebate on the 1 series is good through June 2. The 0% for 60 month financing has been going on for quite some time. I'd give the dealer a chance to fix it. However if they have had the parts for a month I'd make it known that you expect better and that you are prepared to take your business elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I'd show up as well. I waited 2 weeks and it was killing me. I can't imagine the ups/downs you're going through.

FYI...Additional $500 off or extend the terms to 72 months if you go to a Drive Green event.

Make it clear that they made a commitment to get you the tractor awhile ago. Have them make a firm commitment and if they don't meet it get your money back. I don't want to work with a business that operates in that manner. If there is really that much work, hire more people.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Tino, How long has the dealer been in business?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tino, How long has the dealer been in business?
not a new dealer, owns two large dealerships in farming country. Been there as long as I remember. Owner was the person who showed me how fast you can hook and unhook loader & mower. I ordered a1025r with mower & loader & equipment was there on site, no other attachments were needed.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
not a new dealer, owns two large dealerships in farming country. Been there as long as I remember. Owner was the person who showed me how fast you can hook and unhook loader & mower. I ordered a1025r with mower & loader & equipment was there on site, no other attachments were needed.
Time for a face to face. I think you have been more than fair. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Right now, pretty much every dealer is busy and will be for some time. All the landscapers are going full tilt and need repairs and maintenance done, and the farmers are gearing up as well. Row crop outfits are planting and spraying, cattle guys (around here anyway) will be cutting hay in just a few short weeks so they're looking to fix the stuff that broke near the end of last season and getting service done for this year. It's not surprising that a dealer would be short staffed this time of year, they're probably about as busy as they get.

"Bring on more people" is easy to say, but hard to do. This work is cyclical, there's not nearly as much activity in the shop when January rolls around. It's hard to hire a good technician, then send him home with no check a few months out of the year when things get slow. He'll go elsewhere to find steady work. Some dealers will bring on highschool/ tech school kids right now to assemble and prep new machines, but that's a tricky thing to do. The kids are inexperienced and may not do the best job simply because they don't know how, but that new machine is often a customer's first impression of that dealer, which carries a lot of weight with the customer. It's easy to see why dealers are slammed right now, and I err toward being very patient.

With that said, even in my industry there are more times than I can recall when the shop has asked for/ required overtime because somebody promised a customer that their equipment would be ready by X date, and we were going to make good on that. If I were in your shoes, I would stop by the dealer in person and check things out. Once you get a feel for the situation, sit down with the person you've been talking to (since that's the owner, I expect it will make a difference quickly) and tell them what you told us, with your language and temperament tempered by the feel you get for the overall place when you visit. Perhaps you can get them to settle on a definite, written in stone 'delivered by' date. If they won't, then it might be time to find another dealer. While I tend to be very patient with dealers/ service shops, they have to be making an effort to take care of the customer. Granted I don't work for an ag dealer, but I know that if the outfit I work for had a customer waiting for over a month to get a machine we had in stock, somebody would be in the owner's office with a lot of explaining to do.

Best of luck, and remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Polite, but firm. Let us know how it works out! :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
The other thing to consider is once you get them to work on your tractor, what kind of / quality of work are you going to get? You don't want the lot boy setting it up.... I would check it over very carefully when it is delivered.

I would also consider asking for some incentive for your patience.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
The other thing to consider is once you get them to work on your tractor, what kind of / quality of work are you going to get? You don't want the lot boy setting it up.... I would check it over very carefully when it is delivered.

I would also consider asking for some incentive for your patience.
I agree. I'd go over every square inch of it preferably with the sales guy/owner with you. I'd see if maybe they'd cover the 50 hour service as well.

Google luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Met with owner

Not completely satisfied but meeting went ok with owner/salesperson. Guaranteed Friday delivery and maybe Thursday late. Expressed my disappointment with the process and my lack of trust that was lost. No concessions were given. Wait and see - again.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Not completely satisfied but meeting went ok with owner/salesperson. Guaranteed Friday delivery and maybe Thursday late. Expressed my disappointment with the process and my lack of trust that was lost. No concessions were given. Wait and see - again.
Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good advice

owner/salesperson just called and said that he would not be able to deliver friday but will be at my house on saturday at 8 a.m. I was not happy with another cancellation and gave him the ultimatum : take $350 off the price and throw in the 50 hour service and be on time Saturday or keep the tractor. he never hesitated and said "i can live with that, you have been overly patient. Total time 1month and 1 day (if delivered on Sat) to get a tractor that was on his lot. I am very nervous about the purchase and dread the case of servicing and repairs. I am not comfortable with publishing the name of the dealership here in Mich and still think that I have to look at a longer period of doing business with the dealership. He has been in this business since 1951 and I have got to give him the benefit of the doubt that this is a very unusual situation for him. Thanks to all for your honest opinions and advice

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Good news Tino and good for you.
Me being me.........I'd take the $350.00 and if everything is up to snuff after a couple of days I'd give it back to him, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
14,710 Posts
Hate to hear they cancelled again, I would make sure the discount is taken off the bill, get the agreement signed by owner and sales person of the free 50 hr service.
I do have some concerns with this last cancel delivery ! I admit it is the busy time of the year for repairs. If this is the type service they give to a new customer what can you expect when you need service ??
I have had my share of visits to my dealer either for the 1026r or the Gator. I can call the dealer today and within a 5 work days or less , the machine will be in the shop and being worked on.
With your dealer having the tractor and eqpt on site, and lack of employees. OK is because all his shop employees quit, off work because of a illness, WHAT ?? Like others have stated and myself ,, What quality of service will you get when you have questions or need repairs ?
I don't how far it is to another JD dealer , but at this stage of the game, I think I would be making a few phone calls to dealers close to you and see what they have and when it could be delivered.
Oh , you may loose your deposit , since items were in stock and nothing had to be ordered ,it might make a difference. If dealer had to order anything to complete the order then you would be out of luck, at least in WV and PA. Some have had luck talking to a lawyer getting there money back.

Wish you luck , I agree if tractor not there on Sat I would walk away from the deal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts