Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For setting 4x4 PT posts, what are your opinions on auger size? I've heard 9" and I've heard 12" for better adjustment and less hand digging if you're off. If you're cementing the 12" will clearly take more concrete. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have had no issues with the 9 inch auger. Measure twice and you’ll use less cement.

Reactions: Dr Kubar

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have both auger sizes: 9 and 12 inches. I set at least 20 4x4’s using the 9 inch auger. This worked perfect in my opinion. I believe it took 3 50-lb bags of quikrete per post. The 12 inch auger is more suited for 6x6 posts or 8” round wood posts. Also, the 9 inch auger seemed to be more efficient at getting the loose dirt out of the hole.

7D003EDD-6EDC-40B6-992E-40BADF18BC9F.jpeg

6F66A442-7ED3-41F2-9BCA-D8E420BE2063.jpeg

·
Registered
222 Posts
Agreed that 9” is best for 4” posts. Getting 6” posts in a 9” hole usually doesn’t work out too well so will use the 12” for that size. I don’t concrete the posts in, just tamp the soil removed from the hole back in around the post. I think the post will rot out faster when set in concrete than without.
Having a helper to guide you with keeping the auger straight is really helpful. I like to straddle the fenceline with the tractor, that way if your holes are angled to the side it should be close to the same for each hole and easier to get the posts aligned.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,055 Posts
I too say 9"

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Nine

·
Registered
558 Posts
Another vote for 9.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I use a 9 inch auger on my County Line PHD. But that is all I have, so not much choice. So far, I have not needed anything bigger.

Dave

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 10 of 10 Posts