Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the market for a set of Frontier disc harrows, I know I could pull the 48" set just wondering if the 66" would be too much for a 1 series?

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
:munch:

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
:munch::munch:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
So I'm in the market for a set of Frontier disc harrows, I know I could pull the 48" set just wondering if the 66" would be too much for a 1 series?
What does the 66" weighs? I think the 1 series can pull it but curious how well it can handle lifting it

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does the 66" weighs? I think the 1 series can pull it but curious how well it can handle lifting it
The 66” is 445 lbs, only 60 lbs more than the 48”, my concern would be pulling them.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DH1066?? I'd say yes.

JD lists the DH1066 for up to 28hp and the gangs are adjustable which is what you'd want. Mutton/JD shows a sub-compact pulling it when I looked up the DH1066.
Exactly why I want the frontiers, four different adjustable angles. I’m thinking if they were adjusted aggressive it might be a challenge.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking same as you. It can be adjusted a little more aggressive cut after each pass. Which should pull easier.
Are you implying more seat time

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Okay, then the question might be lift if I can lift 681 lbs how far back is the center of the 445 lbs
Does this make sense or am I overthinking this. It’s a lot of money to lay out.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have a brush hog? If so how does it's weight compare to the disk? Reasoning is a brush hogs weight is farther back as well.
Good answer, it’s not much lighter than the discs. I knew I was overthinking it.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Like others have pointed out, the weight of a disc gang is further back from the pivot point of the rear axle than say a tiller would be. Example...a 600 lb tiller could be lifted because it is much closer to the tractor lift point than a long similar weighted disc gang. More leverage on the disc gang.

Another thing to consider is transportation of the disc gang. The 1025 is low to the ground and a long implement hanging out on uneven terrain could prove challenging. Also loading tractor with a disc gang attached onto a trailer would also be challenging if not impossible.

All that being said, I would go with the smaller set and take a few more passes if needed.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like others have pointed out, the weight of a disc gang is further back from the pivot point of the rear axle than say a tiller would be. Example...a 600 lb tiller could be lifted because it is much closer to the tractor lift point than a long similar weighted disc gang. More leverage on the disc gang.

Another thing to consider is transportation of the disc gang. The 1025 is low to the ground and a long implement hanging out on uneven terrain could prove challenging. Also loading tractor with a disc gang attached onto a trailer would also be challenging if not impossible.

All that being said, I would go with the smaller set and take a few more passes if needed.
I’m actually leaning that way too, for most of those reasons , I appreciate your input Big

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
For what it's worth, I have had several guys tell me my 3520 wouldn't pull the disk I use. When I told them it pulls it fine they said "well, it won't lift it". Well heck, how did I figure out it pulls the disk just fine. I sure didn't hook to it and drive across the field without lifting it as well lol. The soil here where my tractor handles the disk fine may not do worth a crap in your soil though. You know your tractor and you know your soil so I'd probably go with my gut on which size disk to get because your right, it's a chunk of money to throw out. I would want to be certain I was getting what would work best. With the weight of the 66" being under 500lbs, I think your tractor would handle the 66".

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
PJR832---how about a pic of these implements ur wanting to know about.

did u check u-tube to see if there are any video's of what ur wanting?:dunno:

:munch::munch::munch:

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PJR832---how about a pic of these implements ur wanting to know about.

did u check u-tube to see if there are any video's of what ur wanting?:dunno:

:munch::munch::munch:
Yes I have BigJim, I haven't seen anyone pulling bigger than a 60" with a 1 series. I guess the Mutton site could be a bit misleading, picture shows a SCUT pulling them and it says UP lto 28 hp. My gut says I could pull them but it also says if it can pull the 66" it would pull the 48" even better.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts