Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a pole barn for my tractor. Roof is up and concrete floor is being poured today. Barn is 16' x 32'.

What size garage door (height) should I go with - 9' or 8'? I have 10' ceilings. I want a garage door opener and am worried about the rops hitting it.

Thanks for your input.

Here's where things are so far...

12%u002525206%253A11%253A19%2520AM.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,812 Posts
9 foot. We just put up a building where I had 8 ft doors installed and if I had it to over again I would have designed in at least 1 9 ft door. An 8 ft door works but is a little too close for me after concrete is poured and the doors are up.
After reading your post again, I am not certain you will have enough head room for a 9 ft door. BTW I am installing 3 door openers tomorrow. Our ceiling is 9" 6" (bottom of truss).

·
Administrator
20,875 Posts
You might check and see if you can get an 8 1/2' door. Somebody posted about getting a 7 1/2' in a different thread.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,812 Posts
I'm certain the ROPS will NOT hit the door opener even with an 8 ft door and 10 ft ceilings.
Also, I ruled out the jackshaft opener but a lot of people use them. Not safe enough for me but require no overhead room.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I am building a pole barn for my tractor. Roof is up and concrete floor is being poured today. Barn is 16' x 32'.

What size garage door (height) should I go with - 9' or 8'? I have 10' ceilings. I want a garage door opener and am worried about the rops hitting it.

Thanks for your input.

Here's where things are so far...

View attachment 10498
There is a "low head room" style that I have in my Morton building. It allowed me to get a 12x12 door with a 13 foot sidewall. The torsion spring is mounted back by the opener instead of along the door header. Then the cables run to a pulley that heads the cable down to the door bottom. The opener hugs the ceiling pretty close. Nice clean look. Your overhead door guy will know all about them. It doesn't seem to have any disadvantages. I've had them for 12 years now.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I'm certain the ROPS will NOT hit the door opener even with an 8 ft door and 10 ft ceilings.
Also, I ruled out the jackshaft opener but a lot of people use them. Not safe enough for me but require no overhead room.
What is a jackshaft opener?

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
What is a jackshaft opener?
The actuator motor is mounted low and by the garage door opening frame. The motor jack-shaft is connected to the garage door spring shaft via sprockets and drive chain. Think of a bicycle; but the chain runs vertically.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I have a 2520, so I would expect the 2320 to be at or slightly below the height of my machine.

With the ROPS up, the height is roughly 7.5 feet.

I'm designing my new shed and have accounted for an 8' door opening. I'm building the shed with 10' finished height interior walls, and will use a lower profile set of door tracks to raise the door completely out of the way and leave the full 8' opening to work with. I could change my design and go to the 9' door, but it really isn't necessary for me.

With the ROPS down, the tractor fits easily through a standard 7' opening.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered an 8' wide by 9' high door in case I add a canopy or get a bigger tractor some day... I will post more pictures later, but aside from the garage door ( another week until delivery) and fascia aluminum and window capping, I am basically done. Electric and gas lines were run this week. What I thought would be an easy job turned into two days of brutal struggle - trenching 400 feet for both gas and electric runs with a Vermeer 18" trencher. I never want to do that job again!

But, I now have a beer fridge cold as can be!

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
I ordered an 8' wide by 9' high door in case I add a canopy or get a bigger tractor some day... I will post more pictures later, but aside from the garage door ( another week until delivery) and fascia aluminum and window capping, I am basically done. Electric and gas lines were run this week. What I thought would be an easy job turned into two days of brutal struggle - trenching 400 feet for both gas and electric runs with a Vermeer 18" trencher. I never want to do that job again!

Did I miss the thread with pictures? :unknown::cheers:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pictures are coming. As well as a lot of thanks, especially to you Ken. Without your Picasa online albums, I wouldn't have been able to build what I now have. I based mine on your plans...

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
Pictures are coming. As well as a lot of thanks, especially to you Ken. Without your Picasa online albums, I wouldn't have been able to build what I now have. I based mine on your plans...
Well, I am honored-thank you!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I ordered an 8' wide by 9' high door in case I add a canopy or get a bigger tractor some day

You did the right thing. I have 8' high doors and my 2320 ROPS barely fit.

Now that what I'm talking about! :drinks: Good deal!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
You did the right thing. I have 8' high doors and my 2320 ROPS barely fit.
How tall is the opening for your door and does the door retract all the way up above that opening? An 8' opening should be more than enough room for a 2320 with the ROPS up if the door retracts all the way up (I can fit my 2520 through an 8' opening and it's slightly taller than the 2320, I believe).

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,812 Posts
How tall is the opening for your door and does the door retract all the way up above that opening? An 8' opening should be more than enough room for a 2320 with the ROPS up if the door retracts all the way up (I can fit my 2520 through an 8' opening and it's slightly taller than the 2320, I believe).
I zip our 2320 right through an 8' high door opening. Although, a canopy on top of the ROPS is not going to go in unless you drive really fast.:lol: I think the ROPS on the 2520 is about 3/4 of a inch higher.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I zip my 2320 right through an 8' high door opening. Although, a canopy on top of the ROPS is not going to go in unless you drive really fast.:lol: I think the ROPS on the 2520 is about 3/4 of a inch higher.
Yes... Extra height requires extra speed. And lots of it.

That's sort of what I was thinking about the 2x20 ROPS... The 2320 was the lowest height of the three, but not by a lot... I *believe* the top of my ROPS measured somewhere around 7'6", easily clearing an 8' opening. The key is to make sure that the door tracks are installed to allow the door to fully clear the opening. It's also necessary to ensure that any opener in use doesn't leave the bottom panel of the door hanging in the opening either.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,812 Posts
Yes... Extra height requires extra speed. And lots of it.

That's sort of what I was thinking about the 2x20 ROPS... The 2320 was the lowest height of the three, but not by a lot... I *believe* the top of my ROPS measured somewhere around 7'6", easily clearing an 8' opening. The key is to make sure that the door tracks are installed to allow the door to fully clear the opening. It's also necessary to ensure that any opener in use doesn't leave the bottom panel of the door hanging in the opening either.
"Yes... Extra height requires extra speed. And lots of it"
I guess. No matter how many times I try to get our 2320 into our other shed that has a lower opening it doen't work.:lol: I'm a slow learner.

"The key is to make sure that the door tracks are installed to allow the door to fully clear the opening. It's also necessary to ensure that any opener in use doesn't leave the bottom panel of the door hanging in the opening either."
You also need to make sure the bracket that is attached to the door that the door opener uses does not hang down to far when the door is open.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
You also need to make sure the bracket that is attached to the door that the door opener uses does not hang down to far when the door is open.
Especially true on 8' wide doors. If you're putting in wider ones, it isn't as critical since you don't have to clear the center of the door. And, the wider the door, the less critical this piece. A 9' door you still have to consider it. A 14' door and it doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts