Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site so please forgive the questions. I'm going to order a 1026R and a loader. What is a good size of bucket to get? A 49" or the 53"? Can you guys think of any other accessories I should order with the tractor?

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts
Welcome to DT Kirk:thumbup1gif:

What material do you plan on moving most often with the loader? Rocks and dirt: get the 49", mulch: get the 53". The 53" a good fit, and you can always take smaller bites if need be.

I am no fan of the IL kit's. There is just no good reason to use the 3PH or loader with the MMM mounted since they are so easy to remove. The IL cost's more and is a lot more complicated. Lot's of discussion about this if you search.

iMatch QH for sure, Ballast Box is needed also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

What material do you plan on moving most often with the loader? Rocks and dirt: get the 49", mulch: get the 53". The 53" a good fit, and you can always take smaller bites if need be.

I am no fan of the IL kit's. There is just no good reason to use the 3PH or loader with the MMM mounted since they are so easy to remove. The IL cost's more and is a lot more complicated. Lot's of discussion about this if you search.

Cool, thanks for the feed back. I'll hold off on the IL kit then.

·
Registered
75 Posts

When I was deciding which size bucket to get for my tractor, I found this thread (lots of great info on this forum - and learning more and more every day!):thumbup1gif:

The "problem" that I am having is the 53" does not sit flat on the ground when I take it off - it rocks back onto the angled part. Is this normal? It just makes it harder to take on and off from what I had been used to. This bucket seems a lot deeper than the 49" and I would have to believe that is part of the reason - its center of gravity is towards the rear. I'm thinking about making something for this bucket to sit on for when I take it off that will hold it flat. Thoughts?

I'm going to add a tooth bar since all my property is hard clay, which might move the center of gravity forward again so that it sits flat, but once I mount your grab hooks it will be on its back again!!:laugh:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have the 53" and love it! Nothing negative to say about it!:unknown:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone have the 61" bucket. I am considering a 1026r with this bucket. Also would a heavy hitch be suitable, instead of a ballast box?

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Does anyone have the 61" bucket. I am considering a 1026r with this bucket. Also would a heavy hitch be suitable, instead of a ballast box?
I think 61" is to big, and the HH should do well on those machines.

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts
When I was deciding which size bucket to get for my tractor, I found this thread (lots of great info on this forum - and learning more and more every day!):thumbup1gif:

The "problem" that I am having is the 53" does not sit flat on the ground when I take it off - it rocks back onto the angled part. Is this normal? It just makes it harder to take on and off from what I had been used to. This bucket seems a lot deeper than the 49" and I would have to believe that is part of the reason - its center of gravity is towards the rear. I'm thinking about making something for this bucket to sit on for when I take it off that will hold it flat. Thoughts?

I'm going to add a tooth bar since all my property is hard clay, which might move the center of gravity forward again so that it sits flat, but once I mount your grab hooks it will be on its back again!!:laugh:
I think they changed the buckets since I got mine, I have never heard of them "rocking" before.

·
Super Moderator
7,909 Posts
I'm new to the site so please forgive the questions. I'm going to order a 1026R and a loader. What is a good size of bucket to get? A 49" or the 53"? Can you guys think of any other accessories I should order with the tractor?
It all depends on what material you'll be moving. If you'll be working with heavier loads like sand, soil & gravel use a smaller width bucket for maneuverability and safety. If you'll be moving lighter loads like mulch or pushing brush the larger width bucket is preferable. I like the 61" bucket for pushing brush because it straddles and protects the tires, loader frame and exposed areas below the engine (fuel filter and lines). Again, there's no right size unless you know what you'll be working with.

Work safely!
Frank

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 1026R and went with the 53" Seemed like a good middle ground. Get the iMatch and Ballast Box. I am going to get a Heavy Hitch soon to use when I am not using the FEL and to attach a 2" trailer hitch for pulling my 10P cart and/or log splitter or chipper.

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

The 53" is the best all around bucket for GP work.

IMG_1483.JPG

Nothing is more satisfying than a full bucket during FEL work. :thumbup1gif: I was near the working limit with the tractor in this photo but had no trouble getting a full bucket. The 61" would have been too much, but you could still work with it taking smaller bites. The 49" just barely covers the width of the front tires.

As mentioned before, If you only worked heavy materials, get the 49". If you only work with light materials, the 61" might be appropriate. I believe the 53" is just the right size:bye2:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Rear Ballast

Can you recommend a rear ballast weight for heavy FEL loads? I have an Omni-Hitch coming that will allow me to add up to 8 40 pound suit case metal weights. Counting the 80 pound hitch, that will make 400 pounds on the TPH. I also have Rim-Guard in the rear tires. That would put me a bit over 500 pounds of ballast. I'm looking for a comfortable average operating weight. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts
Can you recommend a rear ballast weight for heavy FEL loads? I have an Omni-Hitch coming that will allow me to add up to 8 40 pound suit case metal weights. Counting the 80 pound hitch, that will make 400 pounds on the TPH. I also have Rim-Guard in the rear tires. That would put me a bit over 500 pounds of ballast. I'm looking for a comfortable average operating weight. Any suggestions? Thanks :)
For at or near capacity FEL work, nothing works better than a full ballast box hanging off of your TPH. That heavy weight further out to the rear is magnified compared to rear axle weight. It's a longer lever to counteract the heavy FEL "lever" out front. The Hitch plus weights will work good for less than capacity FEL work. You will quickly find yourself in a squirrly situation if you attempt to used the FEL at or near load limits without adequate ballast. Rear axle weight whether it is fluid or rim weights will only help you further. The only disadvantage is it's not handily removed like any TPH attachments are. :hi:

The 100 lbs at the rear axle isn't the same as 100 lbs hanging off of the TPH. The distance from your CG (center of gravity) has a huge effect on how stable your tractor is. You want to balance the tractor as good as you can. Think about this, If you have 500 lbs in the bucket 3' in front of the front axle, then you want 500 lbs 3' behind the rear axle. (This isn't a real world example BTW) The further away you are from the CG, the greater effect the weight has.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think they changed the buckets since I got mine, I have never heard of them "rocking" before.
Okay - hopefully these pictures will make sense. Here is my bucket after I have taken it off. To do that, I set it down and basically drive backwards to let it sit back onto the angled part, while making the cut carrier almost horizontal. The 49" bucket that my friend has on his 1026R sits flat. Every bucket that I have seen in the past has sat flat.

IMAG0231.jpg

Here is a view with the cut carrier next to it. There is no way to hook it up this way so I have to make the cut carrier horizontal again and push it forward.

IMAG0232.jpg

Here it is pushed forward onto the flat part and ready to lift up to connect the pin.

IMAG0233.jpg

Am I doing something wrong? I have used loaders for years and was able to just pick the bucket up. This one takes more work then I think it should. Don't get me wrong, I believe that the 53" bucket is the sweet spot for the 1026R, but I need to fabricate something so that when I set it down, I can unhook from it normal instead of what I currently have to do.

Needless to say, if I ever leave this bucket sitting outside, I sure don't want it sitting like it does or else it will fill up with water. Is everyone else with one of these buckets having to do this?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Okay - hopefully these pictures will make sense. Here is my bucket after I have taken it off. To do that, I set it down and basically drive backwards to let it sit back onto the angled part, while making the cut carrier almost horizontal. The 49" bucket that my friend has on his 1026R sits flat. Every bucket that I have seen in the past has sat flat.

View attachment 6672

Here is a view with the cut carrier next to it. There is no way to hook it up this way so I have to make the cut carrier horizontal again and push it forward.

View attachment 6673

Here it is pushed forward onto the flat part and ready to lift up to connect the pin.

View attachment 6674

Am I doing something wrong? I have used loaders for years and was able to just pick the bucket up. This one takes more work then I think it should. Don't get me wrong, I believe that the 53" bucket is the sweet spot for the 1026R, but I need to fabricate something so that when I set it down, I can unhook from it normal instead of what I currently have to do.

Needless to say, if I ever leave this bucket sitting outside, I sure don't want it sitting like it does or else it will fill up with water. Is everyone else with one of these buckets having to do this?
Mine does it to as I'm sure does everyone elses, I don't seem to think about it, I just hook up and yes if it has rained, I dump out the water.:unknown:

·
Registered
111 Posts
my 49" does this too, IIRC. the way I unhook is remove the lynch pins, lower the bucket to within a couple inches of the ground and then dump the bucket until the carrier is ~ 30-45 degrees to the ground. usually by this time the bucket is on the ground and completely detatched, if not I lower the loader some more. and then back away. hooking up I usually go in @ the same angle and get the top of the carrier under the hooks , lift the loader a little and then roll it back. the loader will not lower enough with the carrier anywhere close to vertical. yours looks even worse than mine!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, plus the bigger bucket will be better for snow. I think I will change it to the 63" bucket

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was kinda thinking the same thing, bigger bucket would be better for snow as well. I mostly move mulch and debris. I dont want the tires riding in the snow come winter though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts