Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some hay equipment for our small 10 acre startup sheep farm (looking at a 20acre hay lease as well for next year). Currently have a NH 463 cutter, NH model 68 square baler, and a JD 660 rake. My brother in law is letting me use his JD 1020 and 4020 tractors until I can purchase my own, which led me to this forum. I’m trying to decide what size tractor I need to purchase to meet my needs and will last me the years to come. The 4020 is a bit overkill for the baler and has higher risk of shearing pins, but I don’t believe the little gas 1020 50hp can handle the weight of the NH 463 cutter in upright travel position.

I’ll never get into cattle, I’ll stay with sheep/goats and only square bales. The 463 NH cutter is the only thing that concerns me with sizing the tractor. The manual states a minimum size of 45hp and that it weights just under 1000lb, so my concern is traveling with the cutter in the upright position. What size and model JD do you guys recommend? I would also like to note I want to stick with a pre-emissions tractor and have a loader. Those are really my only two requirements (besides keeping the price under $20k anyways)

·
Registered
859 Posts
In current jd terms a 5 series will do fine....personally I would want a tractor with a cat2 3pt...I am assuming you mean a 463 disc mower 3pt...

The 1020 is a 4-5k # tractor and under 40hp(current terms a series 3 or 4).....the 4020 is much more at 8-9k+ and 90hp (current series 5 or 6)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it’s an old 463 disc mower. Is the 5 series the new production tier 4 tractors or have they been made a while? My tractor experience is limited to older tractors so the newer models have been a learning experience

In current jd terms a 5 series will do fine....personally I would want a tractor with a cat2 3pt...I am assuming you mean a 463 disc mower 3pt

·
Registered
859 Posts
5 series is current so yes currently tier 4....but it also backdates back into tier 3 tractors also...the tier4 transitions are dated and not always tied to model numbers.....sites like tractordata.com provides weight/hp/3pt lift capacities/engine type etc for almost every current and past tractor

1 - 4 of 4 Posts