Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
A little Stabil never hurts in stored gas.
Even if it isn't ethanol mixed.

Regular gas will varnish over time in carbs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I use Sta-bil in my ethanol-free gas. I also have a couple of bottles of StarTron Enzyme Fuel Treatment I'll use once my supply of Sta-bil is gone.

Quite frankly, I'm not convinced it's necessary to use any additive in ethanol-free fuel- especially if you're using it within a season. Ordinary ethanol gasoline is a different case altogether.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
Another Sta-bil user here. I usually have 15-20 gallons of Ethanol free fuel on hand for my emergency generator and small engines. I use the storage dosage (2oz. per 5 gal).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Stabile or Amsoil gas stabilizer

·
Registered
58 Posts
I stopped using Sta-Bil after having two carbs rebuilt while using it. Push mower and an ATV. I switched to Lucas Oil brand on a friends recommendation. No trouble with after several years of using it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I have a partial answer, I filled up my generators 2 years ago, need one this week, they were filled with ethanol free gas with StarTron Enzyme Fuel Treatment, I now have 3 carbs that I have to take apart and clean, I have never seen carbs with this much gunk in them:nunu:

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
well I have a partial answer, I filled up my generators 2 years ago, need one this week, they were filled with ethanol free gas with StarTron Enzyme Fuel Treatment, I now have 3 carbs that I have to take apart and clean, I have never seen carbs with this much gunk in them:nunu:
That seems like a long time. Does the bottle say how long the fuel can be stored? Even Sta-Bil, when mixed for long-term storage is only good for 2-years. I use Sta-Bil in everything but have never let gas sit in any equipment more than 1 year.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That seems like a long time. Does the bottle say how long the fuel can be stored? Even Sta-Bil, when mixed for long-term storage is only good for 2-years. I use Sta-Bil in everything but have never let gas sit in any equipment more than 1 year.
from there ad's
Star Tron will stabilize fuel for up to two years, preventing the formation of gums and other solids that clog carburetors and fuel injectors.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
from there ad's

Star Tron will stabilize fuel for up to two years, preventing the formation of gums and other solids that clog carburetors and fuel injectors.
Was the bottle new when you treated the fuel? I know Sta-Bil is only good for 2-years from the time you open the bottle.

I have never heard of StarTron so I don't know what kind of track record it has. It appears to more concentrated than Sta-Bil at 1oz/16gal whereas Sta-Bil is 1oz/2.5 gal. I've been using Sta-Bil for 20 years in both non-Ethanol and E10 gasoline in all my small engines and no carb issues. SeaFoam seems to also have a good reputation.

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
I've used Seafoam w/Marvel Mystery Oil according to label directions for years with no fuel problems!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I had StarTron and 100% gas in my generator for exactly 2 years. It started on the first pull. I usually put a piece of tape on the fuel cap or gas can. Then use a marker to write the month and year when the fuel was purchased. Also if the stuff is 100% gas or the usual 90%/10% ethanol mix. Also note the oil mixture on my 2 stroke can.
Seeing I was moving and taking the generator with me. I used my Mighty Vac to remove the 6 gallons of fuel just so it was lighter. Plus after 2 years I wanted to replace it anyway. The gas looked and smelled okay so I dumped it into my Wrangler to use it up.

This sales guy from the company Castle came into the bike shop. He was pushing his Highway 95 ethanol fuel treatment. We mixed up 2 test tubes for compression. Both had 90%/10% fuel and an equal amount of water. The only difference was either StarTron or H95 additive. The H95 mix suspended the water better than ST. After the mix sat for a period of time the water would collect in the bottom of the ST tube. The H95 mix kept the water suspended. He had us use our own fuel and product for the test.

Right now I'm using this Lucas stuff. My darling daughter left my almost empty quart of StarTron laying on its side. So it leaked out all over my JD cargo bag. The only station in my area that sells 100% gas had the Lucas stuff in stock. The label says it is good for any type of gas.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was the bottle new when you treated the fuel? I know Sta-Bil is only good for 2-years from the time you open the bottle.

I have never heard of StarTron so I don't know what kind of track record it has. It appears to more concentrated than Sta-Bil at 1oz/16gal whereas Sta-Bil is 1oz/2.5 gal. I've been using Sta-Bil for 20 years in both non-Ethanol and E10 gasoline in all my small engines and no carb issues. SeaFoam seems to also have a good reputation.
yes bottle was new, tried to find sta-bil around here yesterday, no one seems to stock the old stuff, the new one says for ethanol, guess I'll have to look further afield. I put a tag on the engine that say's when the fuel went in and when the oil was changed and with what etc. Ended ordering a new carb cheaper than a rebuild kit and driving to get it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,048 Posts
I've been using Sta-Bil for 20 years in both non-Ethanol and E10 gasoline in all my small engines and no carb issues. SeaFoam seems to also have a good reputation.
X2

I've used Seafoam w/Marvel Mystery Oil according to label directions for years with no fuel problems!
Good stuff, IMO. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
371 Posts
#1, I only run ethanol-free gas in any of my small engines (and my 75 GMC truck), and #2, I use Sea Foam in it. Works for me, although I agree that ethanol-free may not need it. I don't store large amounts of gasoline- I buy what I can burn in a month or so, primarily because that's how many cans I have.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I see here things about people with old gas in their generators. I've got a manual transfer switch that powers 2 refrigerators and a freezer plus the outlets in the attached garage. I pull my Coleman generator out once a month, or so, hook it up and run it for an hour with some load. When that's done, I top it off with fresh fuel. I wouldn't trust it with two year old fuel, because it hasn't been run in two years more than the fuel age.

Just throwing that out there.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
I see here things about people with old gas in their generators. I've got a manual transfer switch that powers 2 refrigerators and a freezer plus the outlets in the attached garage. I pull my Coleman generator out once a month, or so, hook it up and run it for an hour with some load. When that's done, I top it off with fresh fuel. I wouldn't trust it with two year old fuel, because it hasn't been run in two years more than the fuel age.
Just throwing that out there.
Similar here. I have a manual transfer switch for whole-house power. Even though I use non-Ethanol fuel treated with Sta-bil I run my portable generator for 15-mins every month in the winter and every other month in the summer. I use a couple electric heaters for a load. The oldest I let gas age is about 1 year and that is in my old walk-behind snow blower. Even though I have the 2720 with blower/plow I've kept my old 20+ year old MTD 33" walk-behind. I wouldn't get all that much for it so I let it sit in the corner of the garage. I keep about a quart of Sta-bil treated non-Ethanol gas in the tank and each November I get it out, run it around the driveway, run it dry and refill with fresh treated fuel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts