Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m a new owner to a 4066r with r4 tires. Just want to see what everyone has their tires set too. In the book they have the rears at 24.7psi and the fronts at 45psi. I feel that seems a bit excessive. I do have a 440r loader installed as well as two sets of wheel weights. Even all that there is no give to the tires at all.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
On my 4066R, I have the rears set for 10PSI and the fronts at 40PSI because of the loader. R4 tires.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,299 Posts
On my 4066R, I have the rears set for 10PSI and the fronts at 40PSI because of the loader. R4 tires.

Dave
Those are values I would agree with. :good2:

Maybe 15 in rears but that is a good size tire so I could certainly agree with 10. With the loader you have to keep the fronts high.

·
Old Pa-pa
12,141 Posts
Got R 1's on my 4066r with cab, rears set at 15 PSI, slightly lower than 17.4 called for, fronts set at 25 PSI, slightly lower
than 27.6 called for.

Pretty decent PSI difference between R 1's and R 4's settings.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
My 4044R has R4’s and all 4 are filled with Rim Guard and set to the recommended pressures. I dug this rock out of the field with no problem, but moving it to its new home (selected by my wife) made me wish the front tires had more pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
My 4044R has R4’s and all 4 are filled with Rim Guard and set to the recommended pressures. I dug this rock out of the field with no problem, but moving it to its new home (selected by my wife) made me wish the front tires had more pressure.
I would suggest a ballast box on the rear to counter balance heavy loads like that. The front axle seals and wheel bearings will thank you. My ballast box weighs about 1500 lbs. You can see it in my photo collection. My ballast box has a Cat 2 mount that I adapted to a Cat 1. The Cat 1 box and the Cat 2 box were the same price buy only the Cat 2 box was in stock. To avoid shipping cost that was equal to the cost of the box which was $200 I took the Cat 2 box that was in stock. It worked out well and I can get what ever amount of ballast in it that I need.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
MrTaz is correct. You definitely need rear ballast for such a heavy load. Here is a pic of a very large hunk of concrete I lifted with my 4066R. My RFM weighs 1500# and there is no way I could have lifted that hunk of concrete without rear ballast.

Dave

IMAG0410.jpg

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
I would suggest a ballast box on the rear to counter balance heavy loads like that. The front axle seals and wheel bearings will thank you.
Thanks, I actually had ballast weight when I moved the rock. My wife was at work and asked for a photo so I staged the photo after having put everything away. My mistake for posting a photo that showed an unsafe condition.

Even with 1000 lbs on the back and the rock that was probably 1500-2000 lbs, the tractor was still a bit tippy. The loader could pick it up easily, but I kept it within a couple inches to the ground. Moving weight like that is not something I need to do very often and hopefully I’ve got all the large rocks out of the field.

·
Registered
55 Posts
keeping the tractor stable with a load

Everyone has different conditions...so here in hilly CT I have factory rear wheel spacers on my 4052r and a backhoe for weight in the back. I find the spacers an enormous help in keeping the tractor stable with either forks or my front loader heavily loaded. Yeah I do have to watch my corners with all that stuff on but can do jobs I never dreamed of before this tractor. I keep the rear tires at 25 psi and the fronts at 45 which is what the dealer set up when they sold me the tractor. A soft tire here, might let the tractor tip to the side with a load and then I'd be dealing with a whole other problem. I 'm jealous of you flatlanders....you can get away with a lot that would be a disaster here.
All in all this tool is a hoot and I just put in several posts that required my back hoe to dig holes for in our stony ground. I keep finding more work to do with ....so never get bored.
Karl Olson in SW CT where the wet weather has my nice weeds 6 feet high.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm with ddinham, I noticed quite a rough ride at the 25 lbs that were in my R4 rears, so I lowered to what he has in his. Plus grip is better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts