Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old girl (GT235) gave me over 20 years of service but her time is near. Please reccommend her replacement.
It must be green and have a 54" deck.
Is the X380 a worthy replacement?

·
Registered
X590 & GT225
32 Posts
I just went thru this upgrading my GT225 (same tractor 2 less hp) The GT series was kind of a hybrid JD tractor, a smaller engine with a heavy duty transmission. Your GT235 has a Tuff Torq K71 transmission. The X390 has a lighter duty Tuff Torq K58 transmission.

I had to step up to a 500 series to get both a bigger engine and K72 transmission. I ended up getting an X590 and love it. It's better at everything than my GT225 was.
I guess it all depends on your budget, how you use it and whether going to a lighter duty transmission is an issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agree with BajaX590. An X500 series is likely what matches the GT235.
I replaced an LX280 a few years ago and talked with the dealer about replacement. The x300 series matched the LX280 specs. When I told him I pull a loaded 10P up a grade he suggested I step up to the x500 series for longevity.
When I researched the specs, (even researched the tuff torq internal specs) I decided to go with the K72.
As I'm getting older, went with power steering and deck lift. This should be my last Deere.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
A 1 series tractor is a suitable replacement (y)

Reactions: Rule292

·
Premium Member
10,339 Posts
Call me simpleminded but if the rear rims/tires do not have lug nuts/bolts leave it where it sits.
Agreed. For my son on the surface a Lowes series would have done fine so would a 300 series. We went with the 570 just because over a few years it just doesn't cost much more. Turns out growing up here he is used to being able to use something and not worry about it and using what is available to get the job done. I think it does more pulling the lawn cart behind it than it does mowing.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
A 1 series tractor is a suitable replacement (y)
My recent progression: GT245 starts acting up => research x300 => then research X500s > next research 1 series => then buy 2025R :unsure:

·
Premium Member
10,339 Posts
My recent progression: GT245 starts acting up => research x300 => then research X500s > next research 1 series => then buy 2025R :unsure:
Seems normal around here.🤷‍♀️

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,806 Posts
Actually already have a 2520 but wan't something smaller to pull cart, roller and lawn sweeper.
The heavier duty the transmission, the happier in the long term you will be...........Pulling items or ground engaging items add a lot of stress on the transmissions over time. Can you change the fluid and filter in a transmission as part of scheduled service? If you can't service the item, plan on replacing it sooner..........

Also, Look at the warranty Deere offers on the machines you are considering. How long the company provides warranty coverage speaks to their results of the time before larger problems requiring repairs are likely to begin......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.