Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a X300 for 11 years now and has served me mostly well. I use it in winter for snow with a blower and that is my main issue. The tractor can get stuck on flat ground if slippery at all. Chains and weights are no help and i myself an 220lbs. Have been looking at Posi drive units in the 500 series 570 is nice but once you are up to the 590 the price gets a bit staggering.(i can only fit 48 inch deck in shed) We are talking small car prices. I have put new trans in x300 last year. Should i just add more weights or take the plunge and at least step up to the 570 so i can get the Locking diff option.
Any constructive input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
For what your doing a garden tractor is the way to go.I just bought a x590 the previous 345 was still going but wanted the new features.I for sure got my money worth out of 21 years. So you may pay a lot at the start but you have to look at the longevity of what your getting.

·
Registered
447 Posts
An x5 is what you are looking for. If the new tractor price is too steep then looked at the used market. There are generally a good selection of tractors with less than 200hrs on them for thousands of dollars off new prices.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I would go find an older X748 or an X5 or 4 with 4WD. Most of the attachments you can get for the new tractors are compatible with those generations of tractors. You can find low hour machines that will fit the bill.

I'm surprised you have a 11 years out of a x300. It doesn't owe you anything.

If you are not interested in spending big money on new equipment I would go the slightly used route. Late summer/early fall or early spring are the times to look for used equipment. There tends to be more for sale during those time periods and sometimes you find a great deal. Craigslist, Facebook market place are good places to start. Machinefinder.com will let you know what the dealers are asking for their used equipment and you might find something you like as well.

If you have space in your storage area, you may want to consider a snow blower only tractor and find some old but well maintained iron like a 318 or 420. They are 2WD but generally when folks add weights and chains no one complains about their performance in the winter.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Honestly I’d strap on enough weights to make it work and run it till it blows. Especially if your snowblowing isn’t clearing parking lots. 5yrs? 10yrs?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a 580 and was getting stuck all the time. Vbar tire chains and all. But in the tractor defense i was plowing snow thru the yard. As long as I stayed on the gravel driveway it did ok.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Green Boy, I'm thinking 2 problems with your tire spin: moving too fast, and lack of weight.

I throw snow with a 314...turfs w/chains, ww fluid in rear tires, 6 suitcase weights on rear...and a 49 thrower. I was on both dirt & asphalt, going both level & uphill. I cleared my 3 car garage & 120 foot with 24" of snow. Yeh, 2 foot of snow going uphill I'd occasionally spin the tires. If you start to see snow build up in front of you, you're moving too fast.

A snowblower can only move so much snow and what it can't push out the discharge chute it just pushes it ahead. The added weight of PUSHING the snow with a snow blower results in tire spin.

A quick...and cheap!...way to add some weight is fill your rear tires with windshield washer fluid (ww). It'll add about 50+/- lbs to each tire. Weight, slow down, and you'll be fine. Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. It is not that i cannot afford a new one i am just trying to weigh all my options and get feedback on what everyone else is up against. I could get a blower for my 23e but then the x300 is 11 years old and is getting tired and need the smaller mower deck. new transmission gave it some new life but it is on its way out. 570 will save me some money but features of 590 are impressive but are they worth the $$? Less to go wrong with non hydraulic etc, but on other hand just other things to go wrong. I am waiting till tomorrow to see what i can get for my x300 with blower and that will make a decision for me. More to come then.....

·
Registered
128 Posts
pretty sure you can still use the same 44 inch blower on 500 series, I know they changed the bracket so you have to check. See what dealer will give you on trade. I'd go with X580 or X590, I have the X590 and use the terra grip chains and can pretty much go thru anything. I seldom even have to use diff lock ( also have suitcase and wheel weights) The hydraulics on 500 series is time tested and extremely and I mean extremely reliable. Power steering is a nice option and hydraulics lift is a big help snow blowing. Feel the pain once and be set with a 580/590 for next 25/30 years

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
570 will save me some money but features of 590 are impressive but are they worth the $$?
Not unless you're rich or disabled.

I've owned both. The 590 is quite nice, but, the 570 is just as much tractor, just fewer gadgets. It also has a tighter turning radius than the 590. Power steering and hydraulic lift are nice, but unnecessary.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after test ride/mow i decided to go with the 570. I like the foot pedal for raise and lower since i use it a fair bit when doing my lawn and just find i can do it easier manually. The other was the power steering. My 300 has a granny knob i put on so my hand stays in the same position when straight. The 590 does not return to same spot after a turn so using a granny knob has your straight line home position all over the place. Makes my comfort level not very nice. Got a decent price on it as well. Should get it next week. Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks for all the input. It is not that i cannot afford a new one i am just trying to weigh all my options and get feedback on what everyone else is up against. I could get a blower for my 23e but then the x300 is 11 years old and is getting tired and need the smaller mower deck. new transmission gave it some new life but it is on its way out. 570 will save me some money but features of 590 are impressive but are they worth the $$? Less to go wrong with non hydraulic etc, but on other hand just other things to go wrong. I am waiting till tomorrow to see what i can get for my x300 with blower and that will make a decision for me. More to come then.....
And the answer is yes, the additional features on a 580 or 590 are well worth the extra money. Power steering and hydraulic lift open a bunch of doors, and although some people are happy with an Armstrong lift system, they usually aren't happy for long. My 580 has HDAPs and Terra Grips. My driveway is 275' long and 3 cars wide with a turn around and then another 100 feet out back. I don't have a blower and the 48" blade with hydraulics id the job all winter long with no problems at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did not get the hdaps tires. They are nice. If i have real snow issues i have the 1023e with front end loader and backhoe that can dig me out of anything mother nature throws at me. No Armstrong needed.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just a quick question, would studs in the tires and extra weight be a viable solution to a slippery situation? My friends and I used to put hex head screws with raised shoulders in the lugs of our motorcycle's knobby tires and race on ice. I just wondered if anybody had any experience trying this with tractor tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a quick question, would studs in the tires and extra weight be a viable solution to a slippery situation? My friends and I used to put hex head screws with raised shoulders in the lugs of our motorcycle's knobby tires and race on ice. I just wondered if anybody had any experience trying this with tractor tires.
I did this on my old ferguson and it really helped till they started falling out and finding their way to my other tires. I ended up making set of chains for old ferguson. Have to make sure you know how thick lugs are! I had calcium in the tires as well so made big difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts