Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody i'm curious as to how much "bad" ground a guy can get through with a mfwd 5100 or the like?I don't have much seat time on any tractor but have run various equipment and am unsure of what a tractor can get through.Any pictures or examples would be fantastic!:read:think:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I notice that there are no grease fittings on the universal joints (looks like two per side) in the front drive. Strange my implement manuals say to grease the pto fittings every 8 hours. With the diffirential lock essentially youl have three wheel drive. I can't see that the supposed limited slip front axle amounts to an asset making truly four wheels spinning.

What do you have the r1 tires and air? What do you mean by bad ground just greasy or how much slope before steering is lost? and then that depends on what implement on it to a large degree.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couldn't say for sure what tires are on it--i'm still waiting for it to arrive.The bad ground would be greasy and most likely swampy areas.Probably just have 3-pt disk on back with loader in front.I'm just trying to avoid getting myself in a really bad situation(stuck beyond belief).:cry::shhh::kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Swampy, What you can get across the first time won't be so easy the second time.

Greasy, If the soil sticks to the tires it can be amazing how much things change from when the soil scours in the tires and when the tires remain clear. Scour is when the soil progresses from center of tire to edege and there is kind of a fresh bite so to speak.

With a three point hitch you can raise it unlike a drawbar one with wheels that push down via hydraulic cylinder or no way to raise it.

You state you have experience with other equipment. A tracked dozer or excavator can go back and forth on soft ground more times than an articulated loader because the loader has point loads and kind of liquifies the soil to a larger degree.

fran

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I can tell you from experience with the 5x00 series, once you bottom out an axle, or once one thing hits the ground other than a tire, you are done. I would not go deeper than your draw bar. Stay in a gear that you will have power and speed. R-1's need to have some speed to clean out sometimes, but by the time you are that deep and your tires plug, your in trouble.

Its best to stay safe as getting these rigs out is not easy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.I was hoping to hear things like "you'd be amazed at how much you can power thru!" but sounds like i'll need be pretty careful or will have problems.Good to know either way--Thanks!

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys.I was hoping to hear things like "you'd be amazed at how much you can power thru!" but sounds like i'll need be pretty careful or will have problems.Good to know either way--Thanks!
Lucky for us, we don't have mud in minnesota; just grass, blue skies, and lakes:lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For sure on the mud--my house and yard are on high ground and the other 110 acres is swampy,muddy and thick brush.I'm hoping to carve out some food plots and improve habitat in general.I think it will take longer than i'll be alive but i'll atleast get it started.:dunno::kidw_truck_smiley:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.