Green Tractor Talk banner

what to look for in a disk

2007 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  andy b.
I am looking to buy a disk for my 2520. I will use it for food plots and trails my land is mostly clay with lots of small to medium size rocks (softball to basketball size) What should I be looking for angle or box frame, numberand of discs, notched or smooth discs and working width.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I am looking to buy a disk for my 2520. I will use it for food plots and trails my land is mostly clay with lots of small to medium size rocks (softball to basketball size) What should I be looking for angle or box frame, numberand of discs, notched or smooth discs and working width.
I have a brand new 6 footer for sale that would be just the ticket for that 2520 .too bad your far off
See less See more
I have an angle iron one that I purchased for our 4110 and I found I did not use it so its home here and I use it once and a while. I also have a box framed one that I use all the time. IMHO I would rather have a heavy narrow disk than a light wide one. Go Heavy and well built.
I would look for a box frame disc so that the disc will last for a long time. Easy slide-adjustment of the front and rear gangs is usually featured on these style discs. I would get at least 18" blades and heavy blade thickness would be a big plus if you have rocks like you say. But, the HD blades may run the price up significantly. Most discs have a 7.5" spacing IIRC. Notched blades will cut up brush and trash better than smooth blades.....but will not leave as good of a finish. Look for about 50 lbs or more per blade in order to get some penetration for general purpose food plot purposes. PRIMARY tillage discs may have up to 200 lbs weight per blade! (but you would not be able to lift this kinda disc - nor pull it)

A narrow disc will provide for better tillage on your tractor. A four or five footer would seem ideal. I own a 5.5' King Kutter Box Frame with 18" notched blades. It does fair to middeling work and seems like it will serve me well for many years. I have broken a couple of blades with it when hitting rocks or trees....but that goes with the territory.

IIRC I paid $850 for the disc from a KK dealer. An angle frame disc would only be a few hundred less...and would not take the punishment of the HD box frame IMO.
See less See more
Thanks for the info I was thinking sort of along the same lines in getting a box frame one. The other thing I noticed was that the box framed ones have sealed bearings. Now I will have to look for the best price. It looks like the KK will most likely be the one to get in my area.
I would look for a box frame disc so that the disc will last for a long time. Easy slide-adjustment of the front and rear gangs is usually featured on these style discs. I would get at least 18" blades and heavy blade thickness would be a big plus if you have rocks like you say. But, the HD blades may run the price up significantly. Most discs have a 7.5" spacing IIRC. Notched blades will cut up brush and trash better than smooth blades.....but will not leave as good of a finish. Look for about 50 lbs or more per blade in order to get some penetration for general purpose food plot purposes. PRIMARY tillage discs may have up to 200 lbs weight per blade! (but you would not be able to lift this kinda disc - nor pull it)

A narrow disc will provide for better tillage on your tractor. A four or five footer would seem ideal. I own a 5.5' King Kutter Box Frame with 18" notched blades. It does fair to middeling work and seems like it will serve me well for many years. I have broken a couple of blades with it when hitting rocks or trees....but that goes with the territory.

IIRC I paid $850 for the disc from a KK dealer. An angle frame disc would only be a few hundred less...and would not take the punishment of the HD box frame IMO.
Intriguing point: Just bought a 1026R Series 1 John Deere with Cat 1 capabilities. Was thinking of selling my Brinley Cat 0 disc (which I can still use on the 1026R, as the arms due squeeze together enough to do so), and perhaps buying a wider (5-foot or so) Cat 1 disc. Now I am thinking perhaps am better off staying with the smaller, narrower Cat 0 disc... (which is also handy in small garden plots... 50X100 garden) can really load it up with sandbags for "cutting" better when taking down the old garden, etc.
See less See more
How much do these 5' disks you guys are talking about weigh? The reason I ask is that I have a 5' disk, and it seemed a little light so I stacked 4 big rocks on it. It was heavy enough to lift the front end of my old JD 40U up in the air when I would lift the disk. The 40U weighs about 2800 pounds and is a little longer than my 2520 and I am thinking my disk will be too heavy to use with the 2520. I do not know how much my disk weighs, but the Woods 3PH backhoe I borrowed from my neighbor didn't even make the front end of my 40U light, so the disk definitely weighs more than the backhoe.

I definitely agree that the heavier the disk is, the better it works.

Andy B.
See less See more
Here are a couple pics of the 5 1/2 KK disks I use. Don't use them often but they work well, I have broke up 10 acres with them.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 1
John,

That is pretty similar to my disk. If it works on your tractor, I guess mine should work on my 2520. I'll have to take the rocks off though. They add a good 100 pounds to it or more.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.