Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new here and I've had limited experience with tractors. I've owned JD garden tractors (315 & 425) and am now buying a new 1025r w/loader, backhoe, mower deck and snow blade from the local dealer. I've read horror stories about new machines delivered with problems which I'd like to avoid. Is there any published checklist to go through to check all the systems before delivery? Any tips of what to look for that may not be obvious?

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's a good question, my 4044r just arrived at the dealership and had R1 tires on it when I orderd R4s, that makes me wonder if it's from another dealer not from john deer, now I have a bunch of thoughts like how many hours are on a new tractor. Friday is my pickup day, Ben waiting over a month

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My dealer has promised a full, hands on tutorial before it is shipped, so I am hopeful all will be well. Will let you know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am not sure if there is a check list. My advice to you is upon delivery of your tractor have them show you how to attach and remove each attachment. Make sure you are comfortable in doing it yourself with their guidance. Be especially certain that the AutoConnect mower deck works properly and you feel comfortable with it. Tell your dealer that before they deliver your tractor that they are certain that each attachment has been properly adjusted and make sure the the delivery person has adequate time to explain and show you how they are attached and removed. I do not have a backhoe but I have read that it takes a little practice to attach/remove. Before delivery, read the owner's manuals to get familiar with how they work. Finally, when you get that new tractor....be safe and have fun!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hello,
I'm new here and I've had limited experience with tractors. I've owned JD garden tractors (315 & 425) and am now buying a new 1025r w/loader, backhoe, mower deck and snow blade from the local dealer. I've read horror stories about new machines delivered with problems which I'd like to avoid. Is there any published checklist to go through to check all the systems before delivery? Any tips of what to look for that may not be obvious?
The person who delivers it should go over everything with you when he brings it to you. Don't be shy when it comes to asking them any questions. Make sure you make a list before they come so you don't forget anything like I did. I had to drive 2 hours to my dealer to have them show me a couple of things that I forgot to ask about.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Read the online manuals before you get the tractor

This way you are familiar where/what the switches are and what lights should come on when you 'do something'. I spent 20 minutes perusing a (albeit used with only 200 hours on it)3046r and turned everything on (including the air conditioning). I noted the 4wd light didn't come on, and it didn't seem to engage. The dealer was apprised and they are addressing it.

The others have made good comments as well and should be given consideration. It is YOUR time so make the most of it and try and avoid having them rush you to complete. If possible, and suitable, try to do it at the dealer (like I did) before they deliver it. Simpler to address issues while at the dealer than having them come and get it later (and you get to pay more transport fees possibly).

It think this is your owners manual (1025R): http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMLVU25849_19/?tM=

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
The dealer has a check list that they do and that they are supposed to do with you. Ask for a copy before delivery. That will get you on the right path.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,806 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to GTT.
Not all problems are avoidable, a bad dealer is. A good dealer will rectify a problem, a bad dealer may.
Get a gallon off hydraulic oil. If the dealer is really good he'll give you a gallon.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
My 1025R was almost a quart low on tranny fluid. Luckey i caught it at the dealer before i purchased it. look over all fluids. good Luck

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Most 1025R TLB are factory assembled now. That should nip a lot of the errors in the bud. A dealer could still assemble one, but I don't believe it would be profitable.

As your getting a plow, you're also getting a Front Quick Hitch. The grill guard, front hitch hooks, and mower deck front hook utilize the same attaching bolts. With all three, those that come with the kits will be too short and will not fully engage all the threads in the nuts. So check for that.

Mower deck setup is where most of the issues are. As others have stated, make sure the drive over autoconnect feature is smooth. With the mower deck lowered to cut height, the gauge wheels should be approximately 1/4" above a hard surface. Check for somewhat the same gap at all wheel gauge wheels, although this is not how you measure mow height. Do a test mow with it and check the cut for evenness.

The mower deck should be fairly quiet when engaged. If you have shaking and rattling, something is not right.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
527 Posts
gttgreen.gif

Hi Rick and Welcome from not to far Southern Maryland. I am attaching the "Daily Operating Checklist" from the 1025R Owner Manual below which covers some of the basic things to look for. In addition the dealer should take the time to show you all the features of the tractor and actually demonstrate the removal & installation of any implements you have (ie- loader, backhoe, mower, etc) as examples. Congratulations and good luck. :bigthumb:

Daily Operating Checklist

□  Test safety systems. Perform safety interlock system checkout procedure.

□  Check engine oil level.

□  Check / drain water separator.

□  Check transmission fluid level.

□  Check coolant level.

□  Clean air intake screen and radiator screen.

□  Check air filter elements and dust valve.

□  Check wheel bolt torques.

□  Check tire pressure.

□  Check fuel level.

□  Remove grass and debris from machine.

□  Check area below machine for leaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All very good and informative advice. I'm taking this all in for when I go to the dealer to inspect it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Here is my opinion.. Take it for what its worth.. Don't sign crap until it's delivered. Have the salesman. . oops.. Salesperson.. Go thru it with you. Detach all items.. Reattach. Have them show you that ALL fluid levels are correct. Note.. If the fluid levels are in the cross hatch on dip sticks.. Yur fine. Dents, dings, rust spots.. Address all cosmetic issues NOW. When yur happy.. Sign z papers.
The reason I say the salesperson is because if they can get the attachment on and off.. You should too. Any problems will quickly come to light. If not happy.. Tell em to take it back. . make it right. . you signed nothing.. Its still theirs. JMHO..
JD has always strived for customer satisfaction. . make that dealership walk the walk.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
What is usually hour(s) in the meter when it delivers from the dealer?
We usually try to keep it under 100 hrs.. But it depends. . like if we had to split it to fix a major trans leak we run hell out of it on the dyno. Or we needed to use it at home.. Or we moved gravel and back dragged the lot in prep for the company party or the CEO coming.. So it varies.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We usually try to keep it under 100 hrs.. But it depends. . like if we had to split it to fix a major trans leak we run hell out of it on the dyno. Or we needed to use it at home.. Or we moved gravel and back dragged the lot in prep for the company party or the CEO coming.. So it varies.

How about the brand new 1025R from a dealer? How many hour(s) on the meter will consider as a brand new tractor?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
How about the brand new 1025R from a dealer? How many hour(s) on the meter will consider as a brand new tractor?
I was just tounge in cheek. We dont actually do that! It's been a looooong week! You'll see anywhere from .1 to an hour. But no matter the hour.. It is from that hour and date forward as a new tractor when the warranty starts.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I'd say it's like a car. Should be no more than a couple tenths to 1 hour on the meter. Think about it. One hour would be 60 miles on a car. That ain't new no more.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts