Green Tractor Talk banner

What to put on the bttom of a new mower deck?

10K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  RetiredDoc 
#1 ·
This is my first new mower any recommendations on what to treat it with to keep grass from sticking

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Lots of things have been tried with little to no help. Grass is very abrasive.

If someone has something that actually works, they've never posted a picture of it after some use, let alone a season.

Paint it now. Use it. Before you put it away for the winter, clean and paint it again. Many a mower decks have lasted many many years with this method. :good2:

BTW, I edited the title for clarity and better searches. :hi:

#7 · (Edited)
Mine was that way too from the factory. I used two things under the deck. I did not clean last fall and had painted it with the mix in the spring allowing both to cure. Once I get over my flue or whatever it is, I will take a picture of the underside. Stayed fairly clean but needs to be redone for the spring. The Graphite paint was put on after the undercoating. Wish I just used the graphite alone. I will get the exact name of the paint and the picture next week, PM me if I don't.

Added the below pics. The darker was done first and is the undercoating. The gray color is the graphite coating.
Vehicle Car Auto part
Auto part Vehicle Automotive wheel system Wheel Machine

#5 ·
I've been through this quite a few times over the years. Clean, prep & paint it. Use for the season and do it all over again. There's nothing that will effectively keep the grass from sticking. The airflow, grass and debris will take your fresh paint off after a short while. I now use high lift blades and much less grass accumulates under the deck.

#9 ·
I agree with everyone about grass being abrasive along with the dirt , sticks and other debris that gets thrown around the deck before it's spit out . I use a product called clean machine and it seems to help grass accumulations easier to remove . My deck is two yrs. old and I have no corrosion to speak of . Hope this helps . :kidw_truck_smiley:

Attachments

#11 ·
I've been around this block many times.

I am always mowing wet grass in spots here no matter how dry it is or what time of day. The 62D deck has been terrible with grass sticking. When I was mowing commercially I had to clean the deck everyday - I just can't do that anymore.

So I stripped what was left of the original paint down and painted the deck with spray cans. That wasn't really worth it as most of the paint wore off within a month or so.

So I cleaned the deck and sanded it down once again to get a good clean surface and now apply ~6 coats of EZ-Slide in the fall after a good cleaning. Yeah, the EZ-Slide still wears off like the paint but not nearly as much I think.

The past 2 years went the entire mowing season without cleaning under the deck. I was quite anxious to see what it looked like at the end of the season but was pleasantly surprised that very little grass was stuck to the underside - just a few clumps here and there.

1st pic is what it looks like at the beginning of the season after the coating of EZ-Slide - 2nd is after a good pressure washing at the end of the season.

Vehicle Auto part Car City car

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Car

When I had my 757 commercial zero-turn with the 7-Iron commercial deck I never had any problems like this even after mowing in the pouring rain.

#12 ·
Clean and good prep, then had been using paint, then ezglide from TSC , then last year FIL said he started using smooth spray on bed liner. So I'm giving it a try for upcoming mowing. If I would stay just mowing grass all seem to last the ezglide seemed better than paint.

My problem have a area under the trees, very little grass ,plus branches .

#13 ·
Deck paint

When I bought the deck last year for my 4100, it was used and neglected. Broken bearing housing and grass from years of mowing. Was surprised that it still had green paint in most spots. I used a small die grinder and cleaned everything, after removing the spindles. I used Rust o Oleum primmer. Then coated with truck bed liner spray paint. Was pleasantly surprised that the bed liner paint held up well. Only place that did not was the out feed chute on the top only. I will pressure wash it again in the spring and re coat with the DuPont bed liner paint. I was pleased and I am in a sandy environment especially when dry in the summer

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.