Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 54" blade coming, and want to know what you guys use to keep snow from sticking? I used Mo Deck on my new deck this year, and it worked great! Can I spray that on my new blade, or use something else? I would like to have something that would last all winter without reapplying. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I always used the blade at full angle combined with SPEED with the old lawntractor:laugh:

First season with the 54" blade on a 1025R for me.....looking forward to it.

It's a painted surface, so wouldn't car wax work?

Reactions: Levi and DRobinson

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always used the blade at full angle combined with SPEED with the old lawntractor:laugh:

First season with the 54" blade on a 1025R for me.....looking forward to it.

It's a painted surface, so wouldn't car wax work?

Yes, but it won't last all season.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Just spray PAM cooking oil on the blade every time you plow. Now problem with snow sticking.

Reactions: Levi and etcallhome

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Just spray PAM cooking oil on the blade every time you plow. Now problem with snow sticking.
Same thing for wet snow when using the blower. use Pam . If it is a powder or air temp very cold snow won't stick to blade or in blower shoot.

Or like someone else us some car wax , either way nothing will last the complete winter season.
FIL was saying he used Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating, Black, 16.5 oz. Aerosol on the underside of his mower deck ,,,not the none with a grid or texture might work on blades or snowblower shoot.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
IF you store your plow INSIDE a heated space, roll it outside and let it cool down to the ambient air temperature completely BEFORE you even think of plowing snow (blowers especially). Then apply your favorite "stuff": Car wax, floor wax (wax when warm if possible),WD-40, CRC, Pam, Crisco, teflon spray, silicone spray, Preparation H, baby powder, etc... There is nothing that works for every plow in every snow condition every time (snow moisture content dependant) all season or even one entire snow event sometimes.

I'm a habitual re-applier of WD-40 out of a re-use rug spot remover (multiple cats) pump sprayer. Not only the blade, but the swivel pin and trip hinge as well. I'm so excited when I'm getting ready to plow I just plain go crazy with the stuff!:laugh:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use just old car wax on my snow blower and it works great. I wax it at the end of each season so it is ready to go.
As for mower decks and blades, use kerosene or diesel fuel on them. Re-apply each time you sharpen your blades and at the end of the season. :greentractorride:

Dennis

·
Registered
517 Posts
IF you store your plow INSIDE a heated space, roll it outside and let it cool down to the ambient air temperature completely BEFORE you even think of plowing snow (blowers especially). Then apply your favorite "stuff": Car wax, floor wax (wax when warm if possible),WD-40, CRC, Pam, Crisco, teflon spray, silicone spray, Preparation H, baby powder, etc... There is nothing that works for every plow in every snow condition every time (snow moisture content dependant) all season or even one entire snow event sometimes.

I'm a habitual re-applier of WD-40 out of a re-use rug spot remover (multiple cats) pump sprayer. Not only the blade, but the swivel pin and trip hinge as well. I'm so excited when I'm getting ready to plow I just plain go crazy with the stuff!:laugh:
^^ this.. I use wd40 on everything as well.. I even use it on the underside of my quad when I go mudding to make clean up easier.. Just hit it with the hose when I get home and sticky mud pretty much falls right off..

Reactions: Levi and 316

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another thought. I've used cheap tire shine under my atv and it Mage it so easy to clean off. I'm going to try that on my blade as well bet it works great!

-----Kev

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts

Good post and funny as well. The first sentence says is all.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Same is true for winter sports. Ski's, snowshoes will all build up with a ton of snow if you don't let them cool down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts