Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after using a Fecon tree shredder. I shredded a 2 acre patch of small (4") trees interspersed with big mature cottonwoods, and oak trees. The midsize trees over 4", up to about 14", I have cut down and split for firewood, and burned the remainder. All stumps are cut down to ground level. My question is what tool would be best for gathering up the massive amount of trash and chunks left by the tree shredder. A rock rake at just above ground/stump level? A drag harrow seems like it would fill up, and ride over the trash after just a few feet. Any experience or suggestions? It would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Don't know if this will apply to your situation or not, but after a few big storm damage clean-ups here, I'm sold on my rubber edged 48" and 54" front plows! I got everything (broken branches, big chunks of wood, pine cones, etc.) that will not go through a PowerFlow bagger pushed away with the plows. Bagged the rest. In softer ground you'll need to ride the FEL control a bit, but on frozen ground just let the blade float and it works like a charm. (Saw chips excluded.)

·
Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
When they cleared the lot behind me, they came in with debris loaders (basically large leaf loaders like the landscapers use). The pick-up hoses had to be at least 18" in diameter. They dragged them around with skidsteers and loaded everything into trailers. As the smaller trailers filled up they hauled them over to a chipper, shoved everything into that and the output of the shipper loaded directly into a couple of 40' trailer. I think all of that got sold off to a biomass plant.

They had about a dozen laborers working on it for 6 or 7 hours and when they were done there wasn't a twig or leaf left on the 2 acre lot. Pretty amazing to see. Never seen anything else like it before that.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
after using a Fecon tree shredder. I shredded a 2 acre patch of small (4") trees interspersed with big mature cottonwoods, and oak trees. The midsize trees over 4", up to about 14", I have cut down and split for firewood, and burned the remainder. All stumps are cut down to ground level. My question is what tool would be best for gathering up the massive amount of trash and chunks left by the tree shredder. A rock rake at just above ground/stump level? A drag harrow seems like it would fill up, and ride over the trash after just a few feet. Any experience or suggestions? It would be appreciated.
As a couple of suggestions as food for thought:

Economical - Mount a landscaping rake on your loader

Ideal - A Grapple/Fire Rake:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Why not give the kid next door $20 and a rake? It may not be as fast, but it would certainly be cheaper.

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
Unless you paid for his healthcare insurance.:laugh:

Reactions: rtgt and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
We did the exact same thing this Summer. I only had the FEL at that point. I tipped the bucket down and drug the debris in long lines then scooped into piles and hauled them to the side. I believe a landscape rake would be perfect. This would allow dirt to filter out. I am sure I scooped a bunch up the way I did it. Right after I did this I broadcast grass seed as the soil was turned up. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have a 4' york rake mounted on my Artillian plate set up similar to Chris @ Artillian above. I have done an amazing amount of cleanup with it and would recommend it to anyone. You are in total control, you only look over your shoulder to make sure you aren't backing over something, it is easy to do hillsides and uneven terrain, see when it is clogged or you are missing something. I have used it as high as it will go to pull grape vines and bittersweet out of trees.I will say it allows you to put to much pressure but that is pilot error. I think that setup if you have the fork setup already ( i had the york rake too) would be the cheapest way to get what you want and you will find many uses for it. JM2C

1 - 10 of 10 Posts