Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was ready to go with the Heavy Hitch bar I see TTWT using all the time when I came across the Piranha tooth bar today ... I really like the design of it a whole lot more than the HH ... any input you all can give me would be appreciated.. I'd rather have 2 bolts on the side to attach it with than the allen socket head studs HH uses. I can just see the issues of working with allen head studs after they have been installed and subject to the dirt, mud, water and other debris.. easy peazy to cut a nut and bolt off .. not so easy to remove a rusted allen head stud off ... I also like the design of the teeth a lot better on the Piranha..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
What is the task you wish to complete with a tooth bar? This will help determine which bar suits your needs

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the task you wish to complete with a tooth bar? This will help determine which bar suits your needs

basic digging and scraping, spreading road gravel.... working with hard pac, digging bushes out, roots etc ..

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
In a nutshell, the consensus is the Piranha is better for brush, as it works well for shearing small saplings/brush. I believe those with a Piranha say it works well enough for finish back dragging, whereas the Tiger Teeth not as cleanly, though the Tiger Teeth and bucket do work for rough back dragging. The Tiger Teeth of the HH works better for piles and insertion into hard dirt.

I have a Titan toothbar that I swapped the duck-billed teeth to Tiger Teeth. Now it's similar to the HH. Works great for digging and piles.

Any toothbar is better than none. I think you'd learn to work with whichever you got, but it sounds like you'd be a candidate for the Piranha.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I have the heavy hitch tooth bar. It’s a really heavy duty built tooth bar. I think the teeth are bit too big for our little tractors to make full use of. I have never seen the piranha in person but, I think it might be a better fit for the one series.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I only have the Heavy Hitch so can't speak for the Piranha. I got a toothbar to allow me to break up hard soil. It seemed to me the points on the HH would have more penetrating power than the flatter areas on the Piranha. On the other hand, I think the Piranha would be better for chewing through roots and brush if you were clearing an overgrown area. I have a grapple for that work.

·
Premium Member
8,007 Posts

Just a few of the previous threads regarding the same question.

·
Registered
206 Posts
In a nutshell, the consensus is the Piranha is better for brush, as it works well for shearing small saplings/brush.

The Tiger Teeth of the HH works better for piles and insertion into hard dirt.
This ^^^^

That is what it comes down to. What is your main use? I went with the Heavy Hitch because my use is more digging and breaking up hard ground. But the Piranha is pretty clearly better for brush and tearing up shallow roots.

Don't let concern about the set screws on the Heavy Hitch bother you. After several years of use, I can tell you that they are no problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks GUys, looks like the reality is .... I need to buy them both!!! I'm thinking since I'm a brandy new 1st time tractor owner ..and need lots of attachments ..... it'll be the the PTB 1st ... need to decide on a 48" tiller as well ... that's looking like the KK unit...

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Thanks GUys, looks like the reality is .... I need to buy them both!!! I'm thinking since I'm a brandy new 1st time tractor owner ..and need lots of attachments ..... it'll be the the PTB 1st ... need to decide on a 48" tiller as well ... that's looking like the KK unit...
Yeah you need both. It really comes down to the task at hand. At times I think I should have gone with the smaller bucket. I have the 53” it’s fine most of the time. But I think smaller would be better for heavy digging.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I’ve never found any situation where the HH didn’t work well. As you know from our videos, I’m a huge fan!

·
Registered
616 Posts
When you're done talking about toothbars, I'd love to see more of that Turbo Buick.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve never found any situation where the HH didn’t work well. As you know from our videos, I’m a huge fan!
Thanks Tim for the response .... I feel like I know you... been watching your video's way too much ..... at work .. 😄 It's where I've seen you using the HH allll the time. In fact just watched the video of you cleaning up the debris in a big back yard in preparation to till it... you had to pile up the existing debris then pile in a bunch of logs... you kept saying how the grapple would be the better tool.. but you got it done with the HH! Fact is, after watching it, I decided I would get the HH 1st... oh ya... and you got Johnny stuck in the weeds... I'm brand new at this... purchased a brandy new 1025R .... again.. because of watching Johnny at work.. now I'm learning a few things the hard way .. got the pallet fork frame with headache rack set up for the loader, but ordered the 48" forks .... the day it arrived.... I watched your video on what forks to purchase ... oh well.. not going to fret over it... I have so many questions about attachments..... I want the tiller, I like the KK you have, I purchased some weights for the front end... have the JD weight box for the rear.. need the weights for the wheels ... on and on.. every time I watch your vids.. I want something else..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you're done talking about toothbars, I'd love to see more of that Turbo Buick.
Not bad for a 6 cyl .. with a little turbo ..

·
Registered
616 Posts
HAHAHA, once I saw your signature, after I replied, I realized who you were. Awesome. Cool to see you here. A legend in the Turbo Buick community.
I was thinking Duttweiler at first, when I saw the off color Buick. It's been a long time since I lurked over on any of the TB forums. Always loved those cars!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep... been around for a while.... time for a little different fun... it's tractor time! My son wants to put a turbo on the 1025r ... I told him to forget about it.. If I want to go fast.. I jump into the Pumpkin.. it's orange, but it's not a Kubota.

Well, good to meet you, did you have a GN before..

·
Registered
616 Posts
Not even just a teeny tiny little turbo? lol

Had a couple friends that had them. I could only afford the diecast cars when I was younger. I played with LS motors, have a twin 68/70 Comp billet turbo 5.3, powerglide, 2nd gen RX7 swap car project, that I've been wrenching on for years now. Always wanted a WE4 tho. The Turbo Buicks are what turned me onto forced induction, I definitely have a soft spot for them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, they are an amazing car.... I picked up a new Charger Scat Pack, Daytona this summer.. talk about a crazy car ...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Did ya get the Plum crazy purple with the brass colored wheels?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 30 Posts