Green Tractor Talk banner

What Toothbar that's NOT a Piranha?

15K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  BigJim55 
#1 ·
For the JD quick attach 53" bucket.

I know you guys like the Piranha, but I have small kids and that thing looks like injuries waiting to happen.

Was thing WR Long's flat bottom but looks like the teeth are not well supported

Oh oh, Iowa Farms Flat Tooth bar

Maybe they are better now? Or their non flat bottom?

Heavy Hitch is an option but I like the idea of side bolts instead of their set screws.

Any other ones out there that are good?

#6 ·
My toothbar is a CATERPILLAR,,,

It is a flame cut piece of cutting edge,,, with some parts welded on it.

I could fabricate one of these,,, I think.:dunno:

Two bolts hold it on,,, easy to remove.

#7 ·
Piranah Muzzle?

You could park it "teeth down" if parked in gravel or dirt and or laying flat bottom if paked on hard surface. Thats what I do so I don't snag an ankle or shin on it but I do that with everything. I have a piranah bar and they work great as you've already heard. They look intimidating,I don't know that it would be any more or any less prone to cause injury than any other toothbar?
I guess you could slide a piece of foam pipe insulation or one of those big fat bright "swim noodles" with a slit lengthways over the teeth when not in use,kinda like sheathing a sharp knife or a muzzle for an unpredictable dog.
I used to slide those bright colored foam swim noodles over the horseshoe stakes sticking out of the ground in case of fast moving dogs or careless children/people.
good luck on the toothbar hunt. There are lot of effective styles out there but i think the Piranah is quite popular for good reason.

#8 ·
Keep your wits about you and pull that trigger.

Yes, the Piranha tooth bar is sharp. I honestly though I'd be able to cut paper with it, when it was new. The fact that a person could really get hurt by it weighs so heavily in the back of my mind that it's never been a problem. By that, I mean, if you have one, you're always sure to put the teeth down in a manner that no one could possibly get hurt. You teach yourself to handle it just like you would a gun or anything else that could impose a danger in our everyday lives.

Unlike other toothed bars, the progressive angle of the teeth leave no blunt edges to impede the digging capabilities. It truly is an impressive design with benefits you won't get from old-fashioned, excavator-type teeth bars.

I have two loader buckets. The 49" that came with the tractor is the one I have the tooth bar on, and a 61" bucket. The 49" stays safely parked against a fence and the 61" is my "daily driver" since I'm generally just pushing snow, hauling tools or moving dirt around. When it's time to dig or haul stone, out comes the 49". But you've got to be careful with the 61", also. It's so wide that you find yourself smacking into things with it. The outside corner of my garage can testify to that.
:gaah:

#10 ·
If I knew the leading edge of the bucket would always be down when parked that would help. But with the curved bottom of the JD buckets if you wiggle the hydraulics after shut down it tends to lift that front edge up off the ground.

I have the tools and skills to build my own....but I would like to bolt up and go as free time and workspace are very limited these days.

#11 ·
You are correct, letting the pressure off the cylinders will usually cause the cutting edge to curl up off the garage floor. To help prevent that, I stick a short piece of 4x4 behind the back side of the bucket before I drop the loader off. That keeps the bucket level and keeps me from ramming my ankle into the edge. Sometimes my loader sits a little close to my work bench and I've bumped the bucket a few times... :banghead:

I have the Heavy Hitch tooth bar on a 53" so it's got 7 twin pointed teeth... You don't want to accidentally run into it with your legs or feet!

Green Lawn aerator Grass Lawn Soil

#12 · (Edited)
Do you take it on and off? How are the set screws? Seems like a good place for dirt to pack in and you need to dig out. Also unlike a bolt and a locknut, no way to positively lock them down.

Maybe its just me, but I just don't like the look of their v tooth design. Guess its because backhoes and skid steers and stuff don't have them. They said they could put conventional ones on, but they don't quite as well.

Anyone do this with the slotted holes folding the bar into the bucket? Not sure if that's an option on various bars, or just the Long Flat bottom?

Vehicle

Most of the installations I have seen people drill the hole at the back of the slot, which seems like the most secure way of mounting the bar so its tight up against the cutter edge and cant slide forward.

#13 · (Edited)
Do you take it on and off? How are the set screws? Seems like a good place for dirt to pack in and you need to dig out. Also unlike a bolt and a locknut, no way to positively lock them down.

Maybe its just me, but I just don't like the look of their v tooth design. Guess its because backhoes and skid steers and stuff don't have them. They said they could put conventional ones on, but they don't quite as well.
I posted a video with the Heavy Hitch tooth bar. Not sure if you have seen it. It is in this thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=912954

I LOVE the aggressive V-tooth design.
No issues yet with the set screws. I'll update if I ever have any issues with it coming loose, but not sure how it ever would do so. Hard to put much of a backwards pry on it.

I have another video of it coming up...digging out an old crushed stone driveway.

I can't compare with the Piranha, but I can say that this HH version is very helpful, and makes the tractor more productive.

Tim

#14 ·

Anyone do this with the slotted holes folding the bar into the bucket? Not sure if that's an option on various bars, or just the Long Flat bottom?

View attachment 184442

Most of the installations I have seen people drill the hole at the back of the slot, which seems like the most secure way of mounting the bar so its tight up against the cutter edge and cant slide forward.
We can put the regular teeth on, but it does dig better with the twin tiger teeth, as would be the case with any of the other toothbars. Those teeth are the same used on excavators and skid steers to dig in the winter to help dig through the frost. They cost more than regular teeth, but they do a better job digging. The holes for the set screws are behind the leading edge of the shank so dirt doesn't really get packed in the 5/16" allen screws. If you rinse the bucket and teeth off when you want to remove the toothbar, you should have no problems.

#18 ·
Now that is customer service. An offer to modify an existing product directly from the vendor to address the concern of a potential customer. Can't ask for much more than that.
Nice to see it still exists. it's encourageing, this is the second vendor I've found on or thru GTT in a week that I've commented about good customer service.
There doesn't happen to be a tv or internet service vendor on here too is there?:lol:

#20 ·
Nice to see venders on here but I was hoping for opinions from end users not those trying to sell me something...

#22 ·
I have a piranha, and I am VERY pleased with it. It really makes that much of a difference. Sure it is sharp, but no sharper than other tooth bars would be. I just park it with the bucket/blade pointed down. I am also able to park it out of the way, so no one has a reason to go near it.

#23 ·
I can't speak for the Piranha or HH but simple physics tells me they should cut into the ground better because of less resistance. However, I built my own following a simple side bolt style that we see so many of and it digs fantastic. I don't weld very good but I can make steel stick together and I have worked this bar pretty hard so far with only smiles. That said, if you are thinking of a "traditional" bar with side bolts I would think most any of them will be fine. They are nothing more that three pieces of steel with the shanks and teeth.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/metalworking-fabrication/21696-tooth-bar-build.html

#25 ·
I know you guys like the Piranha, but I have small kids and that thing looks like injuries waiting to happen.
I think you would be fine....Considering Natural selection, you will probably only have 1 or 2 moderately severe injuries before they evolve. :mocking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.