Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know this leaf?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
At first glance, I'd guess at Ostrich Ferns, known as Fiddleheads in early spring. They are pretty common around here, but I don't know about VA. :dunno:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I believe that's Mimosa. If it is, it has nice flowers but is weak and can become invasive.

:greentractorride:

·
Registered
622 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mimosas can become VERY invasive. I've spent three years trying to get rid of them here. Thousands of sprouts, rapid growth, and very hard to kill the stumps. It's a 25 foot tall weed, in my opinion (nearly as bad as Kudzu)...
I have both in my yard. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It’s growing out of a stump I thought was dead. Assuming it’s part of the tree. Maybe an Acacia?

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Mimosas can become VERY invasive. I've spent three years trying to get rid of them here. Thousands of sprouts, rapid growth, and very hard to kill the stumps. It's a 25 foot tall weed, in my opinion (nearly as bad as Kudzu)...

Mimosa Tree - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
I don't know of anything worse than Kudzu.....:banghead: (although it sounds like bamboo is pretty close)

:read

Mimosa huh?

Damn. That is what that is. :banghead:

I both in my yard. :banghead:
Apparently I do as well, along with Virginia Creeper, honeysuckle, poison ivy......

Well at least I don't have bamboo. :hide:

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't know of anything worse than Kudzu.....:banghead: (although it sounds like bamboo is pretty close)

:read

Mimosa huh?

Damn. That is what that is. :banghead:

Apparently I do as well, along with Virginia Creeper, honeysuckle, poison ivy......

Well at least I don't have bamboo. :hide:
No bamboo here either. I mostly leave the honeysuckle alone. I like it as long as it stays on the fence. I jump on any poison ivy I see. Didn't used to have any kudzu but it's sneaking over the back fence from the next property over which is all wooded. It's a losing battle when you don't have access to the other sides of your fence.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
No bamboo here either. I mostly leave the honeysuckle alone. I like it as long as it stays on the fence. I jump on any poison ivy I see. Didn't used to have any kudzu but it's sneaking over the back fence from the next property over which is all wooded. It's a losing battle when you don't have access to the other sides of your fence.
My wife really likes honeysuckle and I don't mind it if it is controlled. I have a lot of it that I am clearing from the woods where it has choked out small saplings and trees.

We are slowly winning the battle with the poison ivy.

Like you the Kudzu is coming from a neighbors property and fortunately it had only made a small encroachment into our property.

I clear cut the fence line where it is. The current (new) owner of the neighboring property is actively helping to control it.

My wife likes the Mimosa tree due to it's colorful bloom. We don't have that many of them, but thanks to this thread I have a better understanding of its capability to spread. It also explains why several have died.

·
Registered
558 Posts
We are slowly winning the battle with the poison ivy.
What are you using on poison ivy? I've tried a couple of things, but not much luck.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Looks like Crossbow

Argi Star Crossroads

1.5% or 2 ounces per gallon.

https://www.greenbook.net/albaugh-llc/crossroad

I have had really good success with this on poison ivy.
That should do it when used with a sticker. Roundup will work as well but again a sticker is needed because of the waxy surface on poison ivy leaves. I sprayed some last week and it's just now starting to look crispy but I was using a fairly low concentration of glyphosate plus a surfactant.

Crossbow is widely used in forestry burn down applications. Like Roundup, it's mostly non selective so you catch pretty much everything in one pass except some grasses.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
That should do it when used with a sticker. Roundup will work as well but again a sticker is needed because of the waxy surface on poison ivy leaves. I sprayed some last week and it's just now starting to look crispy but I was using a fairly low concentration of glyphosate plus a surfactant.

Crossbow is widely used in forestry burn down applications. Like Roundup, it's mostly non selective so you catch pretty much everything in one pass except some grasses.

Treefarmer
It is generic Crossbow.

No sticker used for PI. Yellow within 5 days.

It dies in about the same time it takes for the rash on your skin to heal.

I use it at 3 ounces per gallon for kudzu and it is a slow painful but successful kill.

Grasses are still doing well in the treated areas as well as the established trees.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts