Green Tractor Talk banner

what type of new blades should I get for my D130?

2063 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  denverguy
I tried aftermarket gator blades the last few years and they work fine overall, but one thing I've noticed is that they leave a dull cut at the top of the blade, or sometimes spit ends. Not a huge deal but adds stress to the grass during fungus season.

I think I'm going to try the standard JD mulching blades this summer for a cleaner cut, hopefully.

For the Fall, though, I have a quick question. Last year I added the baffle that helps keep the leaves from flying out the side (D130 42") and that works well. I also use a DR Power town behind lawn vac that has an impeller.

What is the best type of blade to use in the Fall, to get the best performance for picking up leaves and throwing them into the lawn vac? The vac already has an impeller so I'm thinking that mulching blades might actually hamper the process. Should I just use the standard JD blades (non mulching) with this type of setup (baffle, lawn vac)?
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I have found that John Deere brand blades work best.
Whether it be mowing, mulching, bagging, etc., Follow their recommendations on blades for the type of work you're doing.
Reactions: 1
No matter what blades you use if you don't sharpen them they'll will give you a poor cut.
No matter what blades you use if you don't sharpen them they'll will give you a poor cut.
Yep and that is something I definitely haven’t done so far and need to either start doing or replace more often.

What is the recommended tool and/or method to sharpen them? I have a lift so it’s is easy to access them. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See less See more
Yep and that is something I definitely haven’t done so far and need to either start doing or replace more often.

What is the recommended tool and/or method to sharpen them? I have a lift so it’s is easy to access them. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use a right angle grinder with a sanding disc on it. It'll sharpen the blades without taking off too much. I sharpen about every 8-10 cuts, but I'm also mowing 2.5 acres.
See less See more
I am a fan of gator blades but they come sharp as a marble which may explain your experience.

I use an angle grinder with a 40+ grit flap disc. It takes longer to clamp the blade than it does to sharpen it.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.