Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what type of pine tree this is? I wouldn't mind planting some of these. This tree was growing near my property in Nebraska. But I don't think it is native around here.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
White Pine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Doubtful that it's a White Pine. Branch and needle structure don't look right. How many needles are in each group? A white pine has 5 very soft and flexible needles in each group.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The only kind that will live in the poor dirt I've got here in NW Oregon.

I've planted a hundred or so and all are healthy.......The Bark Beetle or whatever its called are killing the Fir trees by thousands up here.....part of why I bought a Sawmill. All the new firs I planted live a couple years and die.
The Ceders are doing well...it irritates me to see my 100' plus Fir trees dying.

What I planted they call Scotch pine..? I think?
Look a lot like Lodgpole Pine which is Native in Central Oregon in the High Desert (3400' ish)
When I lived in Texas ...Granny always called them Long leaf pine.
I'm @ 500' and an hour from the ocean

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
I was wondering what type of pine tree this is? I wouldn't mind planting some of these. This tree was growing near my property in Nebraska. But I don't think it is native around here.
It looks like the Austrian Pines I planted at our place in the early 00's. They were the first thing I ever planted in my life and are still going strong. Austrians are a hardy tree.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The only kind that will live in the poor dirt I've got here in NW Oregon.

I've planted a hundred or so and all are healthy.......The Bark Beetle or whatever its called are killing the Fir trees by thousands up here.....part of why I bought a Sawmill. All the new firs I planted live a couple years and die.
The Ceders are doing well...it irritates me to see my 100' plus Fir trees dying.

What I planted they call Scotch pine..? I think?
Look a lot like Lodgpole Pine which is Native in Central Oregon in the High Desert (3400' ish)
When I lived in Texas ...Granny always called them Long leaf pine.
I'm @ 500' and an hour from the ocean
I was going to say long leaf pine as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Looks like the Ponderosa Pines in my yard...

Personally I dislike them.
It sheds needles every year and they progressively die off from inside out.
This means eventually the needles will only be on the outside of the lower branches.

I'm also not a fan of the long needle look.

As I'm planting, I'm replacing with Meyer's Spruce. Very similar to a Blue Spruce, but supposed to be more disease resistant.

·
Super Moderator
7,949 Posts
Looks quite a bit like this one that sits alongside my driveway.

NrU91bdfTASf34iQdXTkSg.jpg qnE+aiHISbeInCGogJTjng.jpg

It was a little sprout that I noticed while weed eating the banks along the driveway. That was 11 years ago just after I purchased this property. I decided to avoid it hoping it would survive and mature. Sure enough, it turned into a big 'un!

I've always thought it was a White Pine although that's likely the generic term.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Not quite the same

I was going to say long leaf pine as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't tell for sure but it doesn't look like the long leaf pines I have. Those are only a few years old but somethings a little different. It could be age difference or environment so I won't say for sure it's not a long leaf.

Here's a pretty good video on long leaf id: Identifying Longleaf Pine - YouTube

Treefarmer

·
Registered
495 Posts
Looks quite a bit like this one that sits alongside my driveway.

View attachment 692612 View attachment 692614

It was a little sprout that I noticed while weed eating the banks along the driveway. That was 11 years ago just after I purchased this property. I decided to avoid it hoping it would survive and mature. Sure enough, it turned into a big 'un!

I've always thought it was a White Pine although that's likely the generic term.
Thats a White Pine, or some call it an Eastern White Pine.

Pinus strobus is the Latin or specific name.

White Pine is a "common name", not accurate. So your sorta right about White Pine being a generic name, in some areas people might use the same name for a different tree.

Somethings have several names used in different places, like Sugar Maple, Hard Maple, Rock Maple and they all identify the same tree. Thats why if you want to be specific use the latin name, Acer Saccharum for sugar maple.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts