Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering which brand weather stations are in use on this site. I'm needing one. Thanks

·
Registered
21,214 Posts
There are basically 2 choices - low end and high end with nothing in between.

Accurite and Ambient Weather are the low end. Good enough equipment for a hobbyist but they only seem to last a few years. They can run from $125 to around $300.

Davis is the high end. I’ve had my Vantage Pro2 for 14 years now without an issue. Much more accurate than the others also. But to buy that station today is around $700. Their Vantage Vue is much better around $300. But to get it to automatically send info to the internet will cost you another $200.

As I said I know of nothing in between.

My Davis system now finally needs some work after all these years so I just bought an Ambient Weather WS2902 to try out for $135. The jury is still out as I just installed it yesterday. But for $135 gets you a decent color console and automatic uploading to Weather Underground.

·
Registered
591 Posts
"Alexa, how high was that gust of wind just now?" :laugh:

I am following this thread be cause I too would like a personal weather station. I have found what coaltrain posted to be true about pricing, along with there seem to be two types when it comes to wind and rain collection. Well, there are probably more 'types' when it comes to methodology. What I meant was the the weather stations that are all built into one assembly and the ones that are individual components. From what I've researched, the wind speed gauge wants one set of mounting heights and other parameters, and the rain gauge wants another. So if you are wanting optimum accuracy, you don't want one that has everything on one pole. Then you are back to coaltrain's statement, the ones with separate components are pricey and not always end-user friendly.

This is what I learned in a vigorous 30-45 minutes of research, before I got paralysis by analysis and moved on. I would like to hear real live end users results, you can't trust online reviews any more.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I have the Davis Vantage Vue, but have never been willing to spend the extra $200 to hook it to my computer. It gives me today's info, this month's info and the year's info. But I cannot see what happened yesterday or any other day except today. It rolls over at midnight. It works great and is dependable. I suspect if I was willing to spend the extra $200 to hook it to my computer, I could then have the other info that is not now available to me. It will give me rain amounts of as little as .01 of an inch.

Dave

·
Registered
195 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Until recently, I was using the guy down the road at the same elevation as me who has a high end Davis with every sensor available all properly installed like a pro. Kept the direct link to his weather underground PWS bookmarked on all devices. And also ingested it's data into my home automation system with an API key. I did the same at my old house, but used the API to pull from the airport weather station to ensure accuracy. But wunderground recently dumped their API program and torpedoed the PWS website, so I can't do that anymore.

The thing I hate about what seems like all the personal weather stations is the wind. It is never accurate, even the fancy high end ones seem wrong all the time. I can standing outside in a 40mph wind, and every PWS is reporting 10-15 mph variable. I think a lot of them are taking a 16 second average, and whatever mechanism and algorithm is being applied just sucks. I want my own now. But I also don't want to spend money on something that will give me the same crappy data I'm already obtaining for free.

·
Registered
21,214 Posts
"Alexa, how high was that gust of wind just now?" :laugh:

I am following this thread be cause I too would like a personal weather station. I have found what coaltrain posted to be true about pricing, along with there seem to be two types when it comes to wind and rain collection. Well, there are probably more 'types' when it comes to methodology. What I meant was the the weather stations that are all built into one assembly and the ones that are individual components. From what I've researched, the wind speed gauge wants one set of mounting heights and other parameters, and the rain gauge wants another. So if you are wanting optimum accuracy, you don't want one that has everything on one pole. Then you are back to coaltrain's statement, the ones with separate components are pricey and not always end-user friendly.

This is what I learned in a vigorous 30-45 minutes of research, before I got paralysis by analysis and moved on. I would like to hear real live end users results, you can't trust online reviews any more.
Your 30 minutes of research is pretty much right on.

Until recently, I was using the guy down the road at the same elevation as me who has a high end Davis with every sensor available all properly installed like a pro. Kept the direct link to his weather underground PWS bookmarked on all devices. And also ingested it's data into my home automation system with an API key. I did the same at my old house, but used the API to pull from the airport weather station to ensure accuracy. But wunderground recently dumped their API program and torpedoed the PWS website, so I can't do that anymore.

The thing I hate about what seems like all the personal weather stations is the wind. It is never accurate, even the fancy high end ones seem wrong all the time. I can standing outside in a 40mph wind, and every PWS is reporting 10-15 mph variable. I think a lot of them are taking a 16 second average, and whatever mechanism and algorithm is being applied just sucks. I want my own now. But I also don't want to spend money on something that will give me the same crappy data I'm already obtaining for free.
My Davis wind measurement was pretty accurate. But this new Ambient low end station does the averaging.

Wind is my least important factor. I live deep in a hollow surrounded by tall mountains. Even with a NOAA official wind instrument it wouldn’t matter. The wind direction and intensity is vastly modified by the mountains.

What is important to me is temperature, humidity, and rainfall. I am testing this new Ambient system alongside my old Davis system to see how they compare.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oh my. Haven’t seen that Heathkit in a while. I bought one for my Dad and he gave up. Gave to an engineer friend and he gave up. Ended up building it myself. Game changer. Gave me the confidence to fix just about anything. The unit fried along time ago but I still use the sensor as a weather vain.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Unfortunately wind is one of the most important factors to me. I'm at the top of a 1200ft "mountain", with little to no obstruction to the prevailing wind. Whatever wind is down in the city is usually way less and variable. Where I'll be in a steady unrelenting blast. When storms push through from the west, it's like getting hit by a freight train sometimes.

·
Registered
21,214 Posts
Wanted to add a bit of my thought process here - maybe it will help...?

Like I said, I’ve had my Davis Vantage Pro2 for 14 years without any issues. I have the added data logger which is hooked to my PC. I have been running Weather Display software on my PC all these years and uploaded automatically to Weather underground.

The recent months have had my questioning even using my PC anymore as I use my iPad now 90% of the time. Also have been having some hardware issues. I like having data on Weather Underground.

So I looked into the new Davis hardware that will automatically hook to the internet. It’s $200.

Then the last couple weeks my temp/humidity sensor went out. This is kind of common every 4-5 years I hear - guess I’ve been lucky. Also, when checking things out on my station I noticed the solar panel was cracked.

So, to get my station online without a PC running, and the parts needed to repair, I was looking at a bit over $300.

I then started looking at the lower end stations. I wanted one that has internet connectivity built in and also a nice color screen console. Both Ambient and Acurite have plenty of choices. Now what to do....

So I started reading reviews on Amazon. This can quickly become overwhelming. But I looked specifically at reviews of the customer service and Ambient seemed to be the obvious leader.

I called Ambient with some specific pre-sale questions. There are in Arizona (speak English) and were most friendly and helpful. That made my mind up.

I bought directly from Ambient although most of their sales are through Amazon. It was $30 cheaper that way - why not. Unit was shipped the same day as my online order.

I ended up spending less than 1/2 what the Davis parts would have cost for a complete new system. Yes...it won’t be as robust or accurate, and will likely never last as long, but I don’t really need any of that now at my stage of life.

We’ll see how it goes but so far so good!

Ambient Weather WS-2902A Smart Weather Station with WiFi Remote Monitoring and Alerts

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have the Ambient Weather WS-1002-WiFi. Ambient Weather WS-1002-WiFI Smart Weather Station with Remote Monitoring and Alerts
I think it works pretty well. I have it in a sunny spot next to the driveway, so I know the temp readings are a couple degrees high. Which is fine, I don't need 100% accuracy. I don't care much about accurate wind readings. Since it is shielded by the house, I know that if I exceed 10MPH wind gusts, it's pretty windy. The rain guage is pretty nice. Again, don't need it to be 100% accurate for my needs.
I really like that I can see the conditions at home, whether I am sitting in the backyard or at work 70 miles away, either on my ipad, iphone, or PC.
My PWS is https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNHBOW14?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

·
Super Moderator
5,463 Posts
I have to talk the wife into letting me get a station. I like the one coaltrain just got!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
21,214 Posts
I have to talk the wife into letting me get a station. I like the one coaltrain just got!:thumbup1gif:
They are kind of fun - for me anyway as I've always loved watching the weather plus it fits in with the geek factor in me.

Just so you know - the one I got you need an IOS or Android device to get it online. The WS-2000 unit does it all from the console itself but is $100 more.

It's really quite simple to install. Very good instruction book written by someone who knows English.

If you do get it online with Weather Underground this is what you get - my station -

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KPADRIFT1?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Scroll down to see lots of graphs etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
VANTAGE VUE w/ WEATHER LINK

Just wondering which brand weather stations are in use on this site. I'm needing one. Thanks
I've had the Vantage Vue for 8 years with no problems. A natural occurrence is that in the dead of winter with little sun to recharge the battery it will die at -20F. It's no fun to get up on a ladder to change the 123 battery with no gloves. I don't throw them away, warm them up and reuse them again. It could have an easier way to change batteries.
My weather site: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNYCOBLE2?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Weather Conditions At FW2602

·
Super Moderator
4,847 Posts
I have one of the Acurite 5-in-1 systems with a few add-ons. It's easy enough to setup and accurate enough for me. One of the reasons I got it was so that I could add more temp sensors so I now have 4 - one on main sensor in the back yard, a front sensor on the front porch. One or the other of these is in the sun/shade at any given time of the day so one is "temp in the sun" and the other is "temp in the shade". Then I have one in teh unheated garage so I know how cold the tractor is getting during the winter months. The 4th is in my chicken coop.

I'm not particularly enamored with the system but it's functional and does what I need it to do. I think I paid just over $200 for it.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Davis Vantage Pro2. A bit pricey but I really like it. Have a console in the den and one in my bedroom. Installed the data logger and a web appliance that uploads info to weather underground and ambient.

Box

Sent from a magic box in my pocket.

·
Registered
21,214 Posts
Davis Vantage Pro2. A bit pricey but I really like it. Have a console in the den and one in my bedroom. Installed the data logger and a web appliance that uploads info to weather underground and ambient.

Box

Sent from a magic box in my pocket.
I still have mine running. Will be replacing the temp/hydro sensor. Then I will see how the Ambient stations holds out. I may still get the Davis web appliance someday in the future....

It's one of those challenges for me now to see just how long I it will keep working. 14 years so far - makes the investment a lot more easy to take when they last so long - and are so accurate.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would buy a weather station tomorrow if it would give an hourly forecast for the day. I know there’s an app for that but it would be convenient to see it on a display.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts