Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 411 Posts

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
Got the Green and the Yellow painted for the 400’s snowblower. Hopefully will get the black done tomorrow or Wednesday.:good2:

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
Started the instal of a 20hp phase converter yesterday and then changed the oil and rotated the tires on my car and sons truck. Today is the first day in a long time just kind of did little chores but spent the rest of the day sitting around.

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
Finished up the phase converter install sometime this week. Don't remember what night:laugh:

With the double isolation for the motor mounting it is almost as loud as my cordless drill. Since it is running off a wall receptacle I added a 220v single phase outlet to the side of the box for my stick welder and then at the other end of the workbench is the 3 phase receptacle for the mig.

North American Phase Converters was very knowledgeable and helpful when I went up there to pick out the size and fact find. I really was not planning on buying it then so I drove my car. Just like every other time I do something like this I ended up buying it and stuffing the 20hp motor in my trunk.:good2:

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
Made myself a weight bracket for the back of the 400 to hold 10 40lb weights to see if I could get away without using chains. Worked like a charm, of course the cab is not light but with just the cab I still needed them. I finished it up last night just as the snow started. I need to add the receiver hitch, don't know why, I don't think I will ever use it but the time to add it is now before I paint it. I think I am going to steal an idea from Sully Bear and add a removable bracket to hold my 322 snow blower as well. I drilled the cross holes drilled so just a bit more fab work.

Its bad enough you have the tractor so you need accessories. I believe the 322 bracket is an accessory to the accessory. :unknown:

It never ends.
:kidw_truck_smiley:

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
Quick change snow blower shoes

In years past I had 5 driveways to do but all were blacktop or concrete. This year I have 1 blacktop and 1 gravel and one 1/2 & 1/2.

I needed a way to adjust up the blower 5/8” so I wouldn’t pick up rocks. Now I can change in under 30 seconds no wrench is required.:good2:
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Auto part Tool accessory Wheel Cylinder Hardware accessory

Auto part Wheel

Green Auto part Machine Wheel

Automotive tire Floor Tire Vehicle Automotive wheel system

Vehicle Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Transport

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
What is that thing for? It would almost be worth having just to look sharp in the shop.
It generates a 3rd phase for machines or welders or motors in general which are 3 phase instead of single. Not to be over simple but usually you have 2 incoming 110v lines providing 220v. Three phase is 3 of these, since most people do not have this coming in to their place it allows you a way to create the 3rd. Hope that helps.

FW. Your right that is pretty successful. Good to see more people making things here.:good2:

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
Thanks, it always nice to see other parts of the country. Very nice place you have.:good2:

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
Was able to get back in the shop for a bit today. Worked a little on the 2 cycle snowblower carrier. Used the torch to form some hooks. Which reminders me. I bought this torch cart at an auction 20 years ago for 2 bucks I think. Ever since I have been going to make a better one. Problem is this one works fine but was put to together by a neighbor who welded on the side. Building a torch cart did not make money so the handles are different lengths and some of the pipe still has threads on it.:laugh: I will probably keep it as is because was a good guy and it makes me smile everytime I use it because he really did good work.:good2:

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
Got some shop time yesterday morning and finished up the rear weight bracket and snow thrower carrier for the 400.

Paint will be Gizmo black and a thank you to Sullybear for the idea of the sidewalk blower mount.:good2:

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
About twice a year the electric company let’s me know I use much more electric than others in my area. They also send tips on how to use less. Apparently it takes electric to melt steel.:dunno:

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
We get those "Guilt Letters" every month, I just :lolol:
Agreed. Byron nuclear plan is about 40 miles away and every day I can see the steam clouds coming from the towers. It keeps the river thawed for quite a ways. Its kind of scary how much extra power they have. I can’t imagine the BTU’s to keep a moving river thawed but it is more than 1.:dunno:

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
Got the 445 ready for the season. My buddy said he might start having his son mow so I thought a front bumper might keep me from replacing a hood for him next year.:laugh:

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
The neighbor kid (30yr old):laugh: and friend of the family wife has a dodge 2500 she drag races and pulls. Last year she started having u-joint issues and it turned out there was so much torque on the rear end it actually broke the plug welds that hold the axles to the pumpkin and let it rotate out of alignment. He got another axle and welded the outside as well but he needed to open up the ends of the axles about .050” to fit the larger axles he has. I had the sliding plate for the table of the Bridgeport I made a few years ago but this was so long and heavy I had to make a support stand for it. We bored them this morning. It turned out well but those things are heavy.:laugh:

We blocked it up off of the spring bases so it was easy to square but note the top clamps. They are the gauge wheels from my chisel plow, any port in a storm. Glad I made them out of 1/4” wall.

Attachments

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
I really need to learn how to weld. Then I could make cool things too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Better yet, have your boy learn. :laugh: They used to teach it in shop class, then it would be free.

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
I am feeling good now about my usage. Usually about 950kw with a couple months in the winter when I can get in the shop more at 1300. Doesn’t include heat, water heater or dryer. All gas.

· Premium Member
11,355 Posts
In going through the 445 I found the gaskets were leaking a little on each side of the water pump. Replaced the pump, thermostat and the 3rd case gasket that the water flows through as well. I have to say the JD oil has done a good job of keeping the case clean. This is how it looked when I opened it.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Outdoor power equipment Automotive tire Machine

Also found a leak from the head of this bolt which seems to indicate the gasket for this cover is bad. The bad thing is this cover does not just come off unless a gear on the back side of the block the cover and charge pump is mounted to is removed. I was impressed how easy it was to remove the transaxle out. It did not leak until I re-filled the oil. I guess I could have left it low but it doesn’t seem like too bad a job.
Auto part Engine Fuel line Automotive engine part Vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Formula libre Car Chassis

1 - 20 of 411 Posts