Green Tractor Talk banner

2341 - 2360 of 2390 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Started building a desktop because the wife saw it on pintrest. We bought 2 file cabinets to be the "legs". This will go across the top of them. 3 1×6s and a 1x4. Used a kreg jig and screws on the underside. Wife will sand it and condition the wood. Then walnut stain. Can't decide what to coat it with. I want to do epoxy resin but she isn't sold.
20200723_182122.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
I must admit I have been neglecting my 2320 this spring and summer. I have needed to get back to working on my grandparents old car so this is the year. In late March I got a new 6 v battery, new ignition parts and got the engine fired up for the first time in 16 years. I had to tear into the brakes as the front wheel cylinders were froze up. In April I got it out of the shop under it's own power and drove it around the block a couple of times. I did a bunch of research on getting the materials to restore the interior and finally found a reasonable solution. The past couple of weeks I've been removing all the interior components and taking lots of pictures. I'm ordering the new interior next week and plan to work on it through the fall. The heat this summer in our area has kept me from working on it except for early mornings. Here's a few pictures of what I'm up to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,083 Posts
WOW still looks pretty good. My first car was a 53 Deluxe had pushbutton AM radio and power glide transmission.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Started building a desktop because the wife saw it on pintrest. We bought 2 file cabinets to be the "legs". This will go across the top of them. 3 1×6s and a 1x4. Used a kreg jig and screws on the underside. Wife will sand it and condition the wood. Then walnut stain. Can't decide what to coat it with. I want to do epoxy resin but she isn't sold.
If you want a smooth writing surface epoxy resin is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Does that inline six bring back memories of my Mom's '55 convertible with an iron case Powerglide...and godawful vacuum wipers. They had a '54 or '53 similar to yours, but got rid of it for personal reasons. Although I prefer a closed car, I wish I had her convertible.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
You guys are old as dirt! My first car was 78 Nova and it was 8 years old at the time

·
Premium Member
10,177 Posts
You guys are old as dirt! My first car was 78 Nova and it was 8 years old at the time

My first car was a 1927 Chrysler.

I officially drove it in 1971 from the farm to town and then in the parade.

I was 8 at the time!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I made 3 of the same desks last fall from standard 2x material for my daughters. The tops would look similar to what you've done, only these have only epoxy and no stain. I just used boiled linseed oil on the base so it is easy to touch up later. The epoxy provides a smooth surface and its also super easy to clean. We have even got sharpie off, it's really as tough of a finish as you can get. I've always had to do 2 coats with epoxy, the first one always looks a little wacky, and the second cleans it all up and looks like glass. If you can accept the super gloss finish, its really the way to go.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I bought my first car for $225. It was a low mileage 10 year old car. It only had 56,000 miles on it and was in really good shape except for the paint job. That was a lllooonnnggg time ago.

Dave

·
Premium Member
15,083 Posts
There was a 53?o_O
Yes there was a 53 ,,,, Chevy 4door Deluxe and this was the color

If I remember correctly bought it in 1967 or 1968 for $50 or $75.00 , it had been setting in a garage for 10-12 yrs.

·
Premium Member
15,083 Posts
I made 3 of the same desks last fall from standard 2x material for my daughters. The tops would look similar to what you've done, only these have only epoxy and no stain. I just used boiled linseed oil on the base so it is easy to touch up later. The epoxy provides a smooth surface and its also super easy to clean. We have even got sharpie off, it's really as tough of a finish as you can get. I've always had to do 2 coats with epoxy, the first one always looks a little wacky, and the second cleans it all up and looks like glass. If you can accept the super gloss finish, its really the way to go. View attachment 747928

Nice like the looks of those..

·
Premium Member
15,083 Posts
DRobinson,

Don you asked me how long does it take to make one of my trucks. Still don't know for sure but this one has taken me close to 50 hrs.
I spent 5-6 hrs on just the front bumper.
IMG_20200724_095126267.jpg

IMG_20200724_095159058.jpg

Yes some sawdust on the door step, noticed that after I took the picture.
Still need to go over it one or two more times making sure everything is right.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
So I thought I had nailed the storage problem for my Omni Hitch with 3 different options (see posts #2238 and #2239). A couple days after I was "done", a neighbor called and wanted some help moving some really big rocks. I put the forks on the front loader, then loaded all my ballast (both racks) on the back. There went all 3 options for storing the Omni Hitch.

So I searched a long time and found a short hitch extender (more of a riser) from Hornet Outdoors. It worked perfectly, bringing the hitch up just enough to clear the weight bar and not too far out to make the cart tippy. Photos below.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I made 3 of the same desks last fall from standard 2x material for my daughters. The tops would look similar to what you've done, only these have only epoxy and no stain. I just used boiled linseed oil on the base so it is easy to touch up later. The epoxy provides a smooth surface and its also super easy to clean. We have even got sharpie off, it's really as tough of a finish as you can get. I've always had to do 2 coats with epoxy, the first one always looks a little wacky, and the second cleans it all up and looks like glass. If you can accept the super gloss finish, its really the way to go. View attachment 747928

I need you to ship two of those desks to my house. Wife and I have been looking for something exactly like that

2341 - 2360 of 2390 Posts