Green Tractor Talk banner

2361 - 2380 of 2390 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Seeing a couple threads and looking at the prices of canopies and sunshades I thought I’d make one for kicks with some angle iron and heavy duty concrete form plywood. Still need to get some decent clamps. Using a couple C clamps for now. Autta keep my bald head from baking the next month or 2

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
Seeing a couple threads and looking at the prices of canopies and sunshades I thought I’d make one for kicks with some angle iron and heavy duty concrete form plywood. Still need to get some decent clamps. Using a couple C clamps for now. Autta keep my bald head from baking the next month or 2
View attachment 748130 View attachment 748132 View attachment 748133 View attachment 748134 View attachment 748135 View attachment 748136
;) don't forget the TTWT's fan too. have u seen his new roof fan he has-jeepers he has all the coolest toys-huh.

·
Administrator
18,543 Posts
That is one seriously cool corner gusset (y)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
;) don't forget the TTWT's fan too. have u seen his new roof fan he has-jeepers he has all the coolest toys-huh.
The fan is surprisingly helpful. I thought it was a gimmick, but it really does help to cool the operator!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Yea thanks Ron. I autta do that. I built the whole thing with a grinder cuz my harbor freight bandsaw took a dump and returned it. I looked at Kenny’s clamps but they might not fit with the way I mounted it

Didn’t make it in the pic but there’s a clamp above the light bracket. The through bolt for the light bracket is just for stability. It’s not holding it up. With the angle iron 1/4” thick wrapping 2 sides of the 2”x2” that makes 2 1/2” X 2 1/2”. Don’t know if Kenny’s bigger clamps would fit.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
Cleaned up the welder, chop saw and machines. Hopefully it carries through to other areas of the shop. Cutting with oil sure makes a mess of things.
6819EAD5-FA4B-4283-837D-A5269A5E290F.jpeg
8CA66144-00DE-4434-825D-E2AD39F8D2E6.jpeg
8EA82541-D7D8-402C-A6A0-9BF275D39A8B.jpeg
B89C438B-E141-46ED-986D-039FCFCC05DB.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
That's some fine looking equipment you got there Herm (y)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
He builds bulldozers on the side. :LOL:
Sweet shop Herm

·
Registered
69 Posts
I need you to ship two of those desks to my house. Wife and I have been looking for something exactly like that

They really aren't terrible to make. I used a joiner, planer, and biscuits for the tops but one could easily skip all that and use pocket holes. The epoxy would level it all out. I used my dado stack on a table saw for some of the joints on the base, but this could be done with basic butt joints and screws as well if that wasn't an option. I have a rough set of plans that I created, then once I started actually building them made a few changes on the fly. I have access to AutoCAD, so I will often make plans for projects I'm working on. I really like to see both perspectives of design at a computer and then design in the field. No matter how much thought I put in it at the computer screen, once I start actually making it I think of a different way. I'd happily send you this drawing, but with the understanding there are some mistakes in it.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
I like Herm's use of corrugated steel siding as equipment partitions. (y)
I stole that idea from a shop I call on. They have a group of Bridgeport’s surrounded by that. Itreally does help keep everything under some sort of control.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
Still need to poly the top. I am pretty pleased with how it turned out.
View attachment 748575
Work benches in front of windows are great for the natural lighting of the working area.
However, it makes it very inconvenient for open and closing window. Also, mishaps can often times result in broken glass.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Started building a desktop because the wife saw it on pintrest. We bought 2 file cabinets to be the "legs". This will go across the top of them. 3 1×6s and a 1x4. Used a kreg jig and screws on the underside. Wife will sand it and condition the wood. Then walnut stain. Can't decide what to coat it with. I want to do epoxy resin but she isn't sold.
View attachment 747868
I do fine woodworking all the time make sure you use grain sealer before staining to raise the grain then a light sanding with 220. This will help to get an even stain on pine wood and not be blotchy. As for the finish a good POLY will be fine if you wet sand with soapy water and 400 grit sandpaper in between coats. Zar's is a really good brand both for stain and poly Home Value caries Zar's.
IMG_0038.JPG

·
Premium Member
15,083 Posts
MsDaffy VERY NICE, that took a little while to built and finish.. Great job (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I do fine woodworking all the time make sure you use grain sealer before staining to raise the grain then a light sanding with 220. This will help to get an even stain on pine wood and not be blotchy. As for the finish a good POLY will be fine if you wet sand with soapy water and 400 grit sandpaper in between coats. Zar's is a really good brand both for stain and poly Home Value caries Zar's. View attachment 748627 View attachment 748627
Wife stained it the day after that pic was taken.
20200730_201742.jpg

2361 - 2380 of 2390 Posts