Green Tractor Talk banner

2381 - 2390 of 2390 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I do fine woodworking all the time make sure you use grain sealer before staining to raise the grain then a light sanding with 220. This will help to get an even stain on pine wood and not be blotchy. As for the finish a good POLY will be fine if you wet sand with soapy water and 400 grit sandpaper in between coats. Zar's is a really good brand both for stain and poly Home Value caries Zar's. View attachment 748627 View attachment 748627
Knock it off! My eyes! My eyes! That is not only impressing but also beautiful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
I needed to change the drive belt on my 17 year old self propelled mower. I don’t use it much anymore other than for bagging grass clippings for garden mulch and just to make sure it still runs. I ordered the belt a couple weeks ago and today was cool and rainy so it was good time to work on it. I also have had a small spring that returns the drive system to neutral that broke a few years needing replaced. My son and I spent an hour or so tearing it down and changing out the belt and the little spring. That little spring was a bear to get in the right place, now I know why it took so long to get around to fixing it. We put everything back together and fired it up for a test drive. The new belt worked great, the spring made the drive lever snap back to neutral. It was like 2003 all over again! I was letting it run for a little while outside when it started smoking. A lot of smoke. Then it stopped smoking for a few minutes. Then it started smoking again, then stopped. I shut it down for a few minutes and restarted it without any problems. Ran for a few minutes then started smoking again. I’m thinking the head gasket may have blown. It’s a Kawasaki FJ180 series engine. This thing has been great over the years. I’ve maybe changed the spark plug 2 or 3 times. I do change the oil once a year and run synthetic in it. Anyways, looks like it will be back in the barn for some more repairs soon. Picture for your enjoyment.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,823 Posts
Because of the fact that I haven't yet built a shop here at our new place, I worked on this bench in the garage.

While at my daughter's house with the realtor on Monday, I picked up a small bench that she originally had on her front covered entrance area(porch).

The renter moved it to the open patio area which is not covered. In my opinion, this bench is not suppose to be exposed contentiously to the elements. It was a very nice bench, but the weather played havoc on the clear coat. It was also coming apart at the attaching and hinged points. It is built with the ability to fold it and store it way when not in use.
The pic below is what it looked like when new.

I disassembled it and repaired what I could, then glued and screwed it together. I'll sand, prep and paint it with a quality outdoor paint. If daughter doesn't want it back after I complete it, I'll keep it here. We'll make good use of it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I needed to change the drive belt on my 17 year old self propelled mower. I don’t use it much anymore other than for bagging grass clippings for garden mulch and just to make sure it still runs. I ordered the belt a couple weeks ago and today was cool and rainy so it was good time to work on it. I also have had a small spring that returns the drive system to neutral that broke a few years needing replaced. My son and I spent an hour or so tearing it down and changing out the belt and the little spring. That little spring was a bear to get in the right place, now I know why it took so long to get around to fixing it. We put everything back together and fired it up for a test drive. The new belt worked great, the spring made the drive lever snap back to neutral. It was like 2003 all over again! I was letting it run for a little while outside when it started smoking. A lot of smoke. Then it stopped smoking for a few minutes. Then it started smoking again, then stopped. I shut it down for a few minutes and restarted it without any problems. Ran for a few minutes then started smoking again. I’m thinking the head gasket may have blown. It’s a Kawasaki FJ180 series engine. This thing has been great over the years. I’ve maybe changed the spark plug 2 or 3 times. I do change the oil once a year and run synthetic in it. Anyways, looks like it will be back in the barn for some more repairs soon. Picture for your enjoyment. View attachment 748980
Did you have it tipped on its side or upside down when you were working on it? It may have just got a quantity of oil past the rings or into the carburetor through a crankcase vent. If it’s never done this before I would run it for a bit and see if it clears up

·
Registered
230 Posts
Did you have it tipped on its side or upside down when you were working on it? It may have just got a quantity of oil past the rings or into the carburetor through a crankcase vent. If it’s never done this before I would run it for a bit and see if it clears up
It’s smoked a little bit on start up for the last couple years. It probably has at least 500 hours in it. I looked at it a couple days ago and it looks like the float is stuck on the carb and is letting gas fill up into the crankcase. I need to take the carb off and do a quick rebuild on it and see if that does the trick.

2381 - 2390 of 2390 Posts