Green Tractor Talk banner

2921 - 2940 of 2957 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
After longer than I would care to admit, I got my other bike running this last Saturday. After I ran it around the country block, I remembered two things
1. this thing is stupid fast!
2. 40 deg F is really not that warm at 55mph (give or take ;)).

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
After longer than I would care to admit, I got my other bike running this last Saturday. After I ran it around the country block, I remembered two things
1. this thing is stupid fast!
2. 40 deg F is really not that warm at 55mph (give or take ;)).

View attachment 780850
Just open the darn thing up!
Pretty sure it will go faster than the speed of cold.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep nice compressor. I got and old 80 gallon speedair that I hope never quits. Had to put a new motor on it about 10 years ago. Came out of an old gas station my buddy owned.
My old compressor was a Speed-Aire horizontal 5 hp 80 gal.
My Dad bought it in '64 or '65 used. It was a great compressor and ran until 1999.

Nice compressor but this is what caught my eye.

View attachment 780783

What is the story behind that.
Where I grew up, a neighbor had a feed/fertilizer business and had a Brockway tandem dump. I drove it through the summer of '71. It made a man out of me . . . manual steering, cushion seat, inside it was very hot and rode like a Caterpillar, but I really liked that truck.
By the middle 80's, it was literally put out to pasture - in the pasture.

One day I stopped to see him and told me that he was cleaning out the back pasture, including the old Brockway. I asked if I could take some parts off of it and he agreed.
I have the Husky emblem also, I just have to find where I stashed it.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
My old compressor was a Speed-Aire horizontal 5 hp 80 gal.
My Dad bought it in '64 or '65 used. It was a great compressor and ran until 1999.

Where I grew up, a neighbor had a feed/fertilizer business and had a Brockway tandem dump. I drove it through the summer of '71. It made a man out of me . . . manual steering, cushion seat, inside it was very hot and rode like a Caterpillar, but I really liked that truck.
By the middle 80's, it was literally put out to pasture - in the pasture.

One day I stopped to see him and told me that he was cleaning out the back pasture, including the old Brockway. I asked if I could take some parts off of it and he agreed.
I have the Husky emblem also, I just have to find where I stashed it.
'68 Quad 16 speed road tractor that Dad owned. 86 mph flat out loaded.

Nothing fancy, but all truck.

I was in Okinawa when it took its last trip so I didn't get to keep anything from it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bob - that Speedaire was the mint green - typical of the brand. You know real shops had Speedaires(y)(y)Dad got it at auction of a Studebaker dealer!

rtgt - sounds like your Dad had a nice truck. Not many, back then, were geared that fast.
Quad boxes . . . drove them but was never a big fan.
I wanted to order a new Brockway, but they closed before I had the chance. Always had a soft spot for Huskies and Autocars.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
that Speedaire was the mint green
Yep that’s what I thought. Mines the same color. No idea how old it is but still plugging along. I’ll get a pic of it.

·
Registered
JD-2720, JD L130
31 Posts
Installed a Bxpanded Piranha toothbar. I also purchased a step bit from Bx. First time I’ve used a step bit. It makes the installation super easy. Makes the bucket look mean! 😄

7D96DF74-9BA3-4AA5-BAD5-A1D552736414.jpeg

·
Registered
959 Posts
Took a Craftsman tiller "off the dump" ( transfer station...) that looked great...but no engine...

so I stuffed it in my Subaru, dragged it home and took it apart... Not so great. I have never seen a worse neglected/"run it til it don't move" peice of equipment in my life... that's no illusion..the tine shaft was at a 30* angle where it had ripped into the tin housing.

Now it looks like this...(well..cleaned up and painted...)

Tomorrow we'll glue it back together and drop the Predator 6.5 hp I got with a coupon on top of it...
I had replaced the 3.5 Tecumseh on my TB Junior with the 6.5 HF Predator.. But when that thing hits a rock, it's like a jet off a carrier deck...so, I'll put the 3.5 back on that...(needed a carb and some seals)

I'm ok with free, plus an 8$ chain, 12$ pulley, and 100$ HF clone engine... But man, I can not believe these things sell for 800 bucks new. It's a POS right from the factory...add poor maintenance, and it's a disposable...junk

·
Registered
959 Posts
Finished the tiller up... gotta order one "cleaner" tine and a new belt(old one has burnt spot)... just to make it complete and reliable.

So.. total investment.. $158, HF 6.5hp engine, Chain, Belt, Tine, engine pulley.
Then engine bolted on like it belonged there.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
That is identical to the neighbors White (MTD) tiller I fixed the shifter fork in last year. You had a more serious neglect issue but it looks great.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just thought I would update on my project. I I’ve been busy and haven’t worked on it much lately. Just about back together. Waiting on the tool to install the front crank seal. Of course it’s different than the one for a tier3 engine. The wire harness should keep me busy this afternoon
52EE76D5-99AE-4B43-AA78-9183011DE5B4.jpeg
CF25EA47-28E9-456A-AB40-7CE2C2A22FDB.jpeg

·
Registered
448 Posts
Finished the tiller up... gotta order one "cleaner" tine and a new belt(old one has burnt spot)... just to make it complete and reliable.

So.. total investment.. $158, HF 6.5hp engine, Chain, Belt, Tine, engine pulley.
Then engine bolted on like it belonged there.
View attachment 781994 View attachment 781995 View attachment 781996 View attachment 781997
I did just about the same thing 10 or so years ago. The way the case is made if it sits outside water will pool it the v and begin the destruction. I used it for a couple years until I found a Troy Built Horse. Sold mine for $350. Nice work

·
Registered
959 Posts
I used it for a couple years until I found a Troy Built Horse.
I have a Troy-Bilt Junior...way better built machine. It's just a little small for me though. I'm torn about selling it, but don't have the room for 2.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a Troy-Bilt Junior...way better built machine. It's just a little small for me though. I'm torn about selling it, but don't have the room for 2.
The craftsman I had was reverse tine operation. I was never really happy with that because it wouldn’t till anything under. Not sure if yours is reverse or forward. I got lucky when I found the Horse. It needed work but all parts are still available from Troybilt. Nice machine but still not as good as the old Mighty Mac tiller my dad has

·
Registered
959 Posts
The craftsman I had was reverse tine operation. I was never really happy with that because it wouldn’t till anything under. Not sure if yours is reverse or forward. I got lucky when I found the Horse. It needed work but all parts are still available from Troybilt. Nice machine but still not as good as the old Mighty Mac tiller my dad has
Both, its got select-able forward or reverse tine rotation.
This Craftsman machine is not in the same league as the old Troy-Bilt stuff, it is truly junky.
But with care and proper use it should do all I need it for for a few years.
The TB Junior is a nice little machine but I am admitedly working it too hard for what it is.

2921 - 2940 of 2957 Posts