Green Tractor Talk banner
3221 - 3240 of 3267 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Made a new buffet for the fur balls and then worked on a kindling splitter for a friend of mine.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Paw print on ends a nice touch. :) Are the shoes part of the buffet? :LOL:
They’re so spoiled if they liked shoes my wife would prob buy them they’re own.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Put the backhoe back on the 2025. Took off the thumb and put on the big bucket.
Then installed an I-match on the new to me 3046R . Loaded up the Ken’s bolt on hook tool boxes with my normal tools 1lb hammer, gloves , screw drivers, pliers , rags etc etc

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
Tuned up the Allis Chalmers WD this week. I was tired of repairing the patched up, cracked and re cracking exhaust manifold. I bought a new one from Steiner and I don’t know if it is foreign or US cast but I have to say the quality is superb. I did inspect the intake side of it and had a couple pieces of slag to knock off which is much better than some I have heard about. I make my own gaskets for these out of exhaust manifold sheet because the ones supplied from every supplier I have seen are just paper with no metal inside.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Tractor Red Gas

New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, points and capacitor and set the timing.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas Automotive exterior Vehicle

For the governor I thank god for forums and some the super experienced members out there. One in particular is a Dr.Allis who is on the AllisChalmers forum and Yesterday’s tractors as well. Governor’s can make you pull you hair out or if you read the instructions and follow them for the particular one you are working on can be a piece of cake. In this case there not a lot of instructions but there is a hell of a lot of experience and so much knowledge on my screen and at my fingertips it is amazing.

To give an example there is no throttle adjustment on these, just an input rod from the throttle and a solid rod from the governor to the carb. High Idle or wide open is determined by a spring in the governor. Then there is the tribal knowledge these guys know for changing things.

A WC/WD/WD45 spring should have a white stripe and is PN: 70220702 and will provide for 1700rpms, it was 1645 on mine. WD45’s might have a red stripe but what I could find was the spring was the same.

There is also a P/N: 70223498 power unit spring that would be between a 70220702 and a 70226785 for pull strength.

A model 170/175 spring with a blue stripe PN: 70226785 and get 1800rpm.

and you can put in a D17 spring PN: 70229519 and go to 2000rpm.

And lastly you can go to tractor supply and buy their C-173 spring and get to just under 2200rpm.

Original spring.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Grey Wood

Then you can change the weights out and gain some response. The governor starts working right away when rpms drop but on tractors it will drop 300rpm before it gets to full throttle but if you put in the weights from gleaner E model combine engine the drop will only be 150 rpm.

Ours ran a lot of rpm’s but the governor was not sensitive and in reading I found out why. When the throttle is pulled wide open with the engine off hold the rod going to the carburetor all the way open and the rod should line up with the hole in the governor shaft. Here is where mine was. Way too long which gave more rpms but it took all the sensitivity out of the governor. The rod was perfectly straight.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

This is how much bend I had to put in the rod to get it to go in the hole.
Brown Automotive tire Gas Wood Bumper

The governor will still open the throttle all the way when needed. Making it too short will increase the sensitivity even more but can cause surging.

Sorry for the long post but I found all of this interesting and it is amazing how something 68 years old and all mechanical can still be adjusted to do exactly what it did in 1953.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I bought this painting in a flea market for $5. It had a frame, but it was coming out of it an it was very flimsy, so I decided to make a new frame. I used a piece of red oak from my trip to the sawmill and banged it out.

I thought it deserved something "rustic", so half lap joints instead of miters and rough on the front to leave the saw marks. I did joint two edges, that little bit of work created a lot of shavings.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I bought this painting in a flea market for $5. It had a frame, but it was coming out of it an it was very flimsy, so I decided to make a new frame. I used a piece of red oak from my trip to the sawmill and banged it out.

View attachment 803066

I thought it deserved something "rustic", so half lap joints instead of miters and rough on the front to leave the saw marks. I did joint two edges, that little bit of work created a lot of shavings.

View attachment 803067
You build picture frames WAY better than that halfwit builds fence.

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
That is pretty cool! Nice work sir!!

Now I’ll bet the Herminator will be jealous and plan some project just for spite. Gotta watch out for that guy. LOL

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
That is pretty cool! Nice work sir!!
Now I’ll bet the Herminator will be jealous and plan some project just for spite. Gotta watch out for that guy. LOL
I agree that is a very nice job. I am jealous a lot on this site. Maybe not jealous but envious if envious is better anyway. (y)

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
Bought and installed a new phase convertor in the shed attic for the machines. I had one that was made locally about 12-15 years ago and yearly I needed to replace one of the capacitors and last year the magnetic contactor. Last week the capacitor blew up with enough force to break the contactor so I decided it was time.

I bought a 20hp from North American in 2018 and it has been excellent so I went with their 5hp for this. I do like the fact they are made here and you can just ask questions and get the answer with no "I'm not sure".

Camera accessory Gas Automotive tire Machine Cameras & optics

3221 - 3240 of 3267 Posts