Green Tractor Talk banner
4161 - 4180 of 4434 Posts

· Administrator
24,468 Posts
@dieselshadow
True.
But there are a lot of other threads on this forum that "technically" are not tractor related. Tractors brought us here, but they are only one facet of our lives.
I'm always interested in the other builds that the GTT world takes on!
We aren’t against that, not in the slightest. I certainly wouldn’t stop other members from doing so either. We have forums for just about anything here, I’m sure we’d find a place for almost any thread within reason. 👍🏼

· Premium Member
11,291 Posts

· Premium Member
10,791 Posts

· Administrator
24,468 Posts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Automotive design

Engineering Gas Machine Electronic engineering Auto part

· Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,361 Posts
nothing in the shop but started the pavers in the shop driveway. thought I might finish but the old body said not today old man...............2/3's of the way
Can't really tell but guessing it looks pretty good. Pictures are kinda small

· Registered
340 Posts
After 16+ years and 230,000 miles the water pump couldn’t pump any more. Glad to have heat in the garage today.

View attachment 875360

View attachment 875362

View attachment 875363
That looks similar to the one I replaced in my wife’s old Tahoe at about the same mileage.

nothing in the shop but started the pavers in the shop driveway. thought I might finish but the old body said not today old man...............2/3's of the way

View attachment 875372 View attachment 875373
Nice driveway for a shop!

Those are the attachment knobs and bolts to attach my chute for my leaf shredder.
View attachment 875448
Does that hardware and boot come with the DR?

· Premium Member
1,616 Posts

· Chief Stick-picker-upper
20,654 Posts
I’ve posted some here and there, but no dedicated thread. This being a tractor forum, a truck build isn’t super aligned with our theme here. I’ve posted most pics in this thread.

If there’s enough interest, I would start a thread for y’all.
I'm interested. If you post it either on this site or one of the others with a link to it. (y)

· Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Played with the mill some. The DRO headunit was damaged in the move and opted to use the existing glass scales and TouchDRO to help my lack of machinist skills. Had to identify the pinouts on the scale outputs to properly connect them - 5 wires, (gnd, +5v, A, B, Z - A/B are the signal and Z is a reference signal). That took a bit of doing, but wasn't unmanageable. Then made the dongles that go from the DRO brain to the scale connections.
Essentially matching the board pin out with the DB9 connector from the scale. Through this process learned there is no "standard" for either color or pinout on these scales, so a bit of caution is needed to avoid sending/shorting the scale reader electronics.
Earrings Eyewear Wood Font Rectangle

Here's the assembled DRO box.
Audio equipment Gas Electronic instrument Font Computer hardware

Hand Communication Device Portable communications device Gadget Mobile device

Then to work on the display. TouchDRO uses a Bluetooth signal and an app on an android tablet. Bought a Kindle Fire HD10 (a bit overkill but for $89, it'll work) had to backdoor/sideload Google play to get the touchdro app, but that was about 15 min of reading and doing.

Decided to use a mix of 67d.com and Amazhina mounting hardware. I love the 67d stuff, but their tablet mount designed for off roading on a a non-moving mill was overkill and way over budget, thus queue the China crap.

Mounting it was painless, getting it configured was pretty easy as well.
Electricity Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Computer hardware Computer network

Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Control panel Electronic component

If only the rain would stop so work on the big shop could continue. The chaos in my 2 car garage is absurd.

· Registered
1,542 Posts
Nice PM-727 there. It was on my list when trying to decide which mill to buy. I've been pretty happy with TouchDRO, my version had the dreaded bluetooth vanishing bug. They have fixed that in a newer version. For now, I just power cycle tablet every now and then. As I'm also an Amazon tablet, getting TouchDRO installed is fun. Which is why I'm still on that version. )

· Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Nice PM-727 there. It was on my list when trying to decide which mill to buy. I've been pretty happy with TouchDRO, my version had the dreaded bluetooth vanishing bug. They have fixed that in a newer version. For now, I just power cycle tablet every now and then. As I'm also an Amazon tablet, getting TouchDRO installed is fun. Which is why I'm still on that version. )
You were my inspiration for the touchDRO. 👍

· Registered
340 Posts
Played with the mill some. The DRO headunit was damaged in the move and opted to use the existing glass scales and TouchDRO to help my lack of machinist skills. Had to identify the pinouts on the scale outputs to properly connect them - 5 wires, (gnd, +5v, A, B, Z - A/B are the signal and Z is a reference signal). That took a bit of doing, but wasn't unmanageable. Then made the dongles that go from the DRO brain to the scale connections.
Essentially matching the board pin out with the DB9 connector from the scale. Through this process learned there is no "standard" for either color or pinout on these scales, so a bit of caution is needed to avoid sending/shorting the scale reader electronics.
View attachment 876970

Here's the assembled DRO box.
View attachment 876971
View attachment 876972

Then to work on the display. TouchDRO uses a Bluetooth signal and an app on an android tablet. Bought a Kindle Fire HD10 (a bit overkill but for $89, it'll work) had to backdoor/sideload Google play to get the touchdro app, but that was about 15 min of reading and doing.

Decided to use a mix of 67d.com and Amazhina mounting hardware. I love the 67d stuff, but their tablet mount designed for off roading on a a non-moving mill was overkill and way over budget, thus queue the China crap.

Mounting it was painless, getting it configured was pretty easy as well.
View attachment 876975

View attachment 876974

If only the rain would stop so work on the big shop could continue. The chaos in my 2 car garage is absurd.
That looks like the inside of some industrial plant! What do you make with that machine??

· Premium Member
4,541 Posts
That looks like the inside of some industrial plant! What do you make with that machine??
Nothing yet - just trying to get it back to good after it was damaged moving it. The shop is 75% woodworking (and the related dust collection hoses), with a bunch of metal stuff recently acquired.

4161 - 4180 of 4434 Posts