Green Tractor Talk banner

What we did in our shop today!

527036 Views 4912 Replies 278 Participants Last post by  trav
So, What Did You DO In Your Shop Today??

OK, for me mowing and gardening season is over,,, I get to spend some QUALITY time in the shop.

Those projects that have been nagging me were left on the back burner because the weather was so nice.
My propane heaters are set up,,, I am ready to start some projects.

A couple weeks ago, I needed to drill some larger holes, so I finally ran power to the drill press.

Today, I ran power to the Jet 9x16 saw,, IT IS ALIVE!! :thumbup1gif:
I really missed the Jet saw, I have been making do with a Milwaukee Porta-Band.

So,,, what did you do in the shop,,, Today,,, ? :dunno:
See less See more
Reactions: 5
4901 - 4913 of 4913 Posts
That reminds me of an old Monty Wards (Gilson) lawn tractor I had years ago. It was always a bear to start. One day my new wife (27 years ago) asks if she can pull it out of the shed to get to some yard tools and I said "If you can start it, you can move it." She hops on, pushes the throttle full on and it fires right up. She backs the throttle off a bit and pulls the little tractor out of the shed with me standing there slack jawed.

:ROFLMAO: :LOL:I never admitted that I didn't know how to choke the darn thing.
I think I just did that. :ROFLMAO: In my defense, it wasn't my tractor.
  • Haha
I made an oriole feeder for my wife using some copper wire. Now to see if the orioles actually start coming back around. Only sort of in my shop - I did it during lunch at work.
See less See more
  • Wow
Wife and kids left a day early for the long weekend….. got some shop time in last night and this morning.

I redid my 50 cal ammo can toolboxes on my 4044R. I originally mounted them using square u bolts with holes drilled into the can (I.e. nuts on the inside). I tried sealing the holes with silicon but always fought water ingress.

I welded up the original holes and welded the back of the u bolt to the box. Also made u bolt brackets using small channel. Bead blasted, primed, and painted them. Glued in a toolbox liner and added a drain in the event water would ever get in. Came out nice. I’ll reorganize contents when I get back from the long weekend.

See less See more
Nice job, Marc. 👍
Pulled the X354 into the shop for mower belt replacement. Also sharpened the blades and checked spindles and pulley bearings. All good so ready for re-install. This took about two hours, since its the first time I've done it. Lots of wasted time figuring out just how far to disassemble to get the belt over the guards.

See less See more
Organized my tools for my 50cal ammo can toolboxes. You can pack a bunch of gear in there……

See less See more
  • Wow
Finally finished repair on grand daughter's writing desk. The red parts. :) Two legs to replace the ones that split and two wing nuts, to replace the ones I can't seem to find. :)

Those M5 x 25mm carriage bolts seem quite rare. Only one to pick from at McMaster and the head dia was too large. No luck with amazon unless I wanted hundreds of them. :)

Also showing is a peek of my realwork(tm) windows laptop. I hate it. :) Who in their right mind, offsets the trackpad to the left of center... Nuts.
See less See more
I customized my vertical exhaust stack on my 3046R.
‘Made it old school or retro with the rain cap flapper.

See less See more
Scored a good deal on some signs and hung three of them tonight.

See less See more
Scored a good deal on some signs and hung three of them tonight.

View attachment 905332 View attachment 905333 View attachment 905334
I do not know what any of those signs represent?
Reactions: 3
Top - Iowa Hawkeyes (I'm a Big 10 fan)
Middle - Cross represents my Christian faith
Bottom - North Dakota State Bison NCAA FCS Champs 2011-2015, 2017-2019 and 2021
Still need to find a large Wisconsin Badgers sign though.
Obviously, I live for college football. It used to be NASCAR (and our garage still has those banners), but lost interest somewhere along the way.
It doesn't look like much but I'm taking advantage of the cooler weather and working on the Subaru project and got it all bolted in and the exhaust hooked up so all of the underneath work is pretty much done. Changing the driver's side motor mount after the motor was already bolted to the trans was a bear, too bad I didn't realize that the mounts were different while it was still on the motor stand. I think the hard parts are done now. It got lots of new gaskets, valve cover gaskets and grommets, oil pan gasket, upper and lower intake gaskets, and exhaust manifold gaskets. It got new filters and spark plugs. I bought the wrong plug wires so I'll have to get those later. I think I'll have to get a new battery by now too, I seem to remember that this one won't take a charge anymore.
See less See more
Reactions: 2
4901 - 4913 of 4913 Posts