1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
18,512 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to wreck it, I just want to find out I won't wreck me if it fails. :lol: That's a kind offer though Ken, thank you.

The webbing is rated at 6,000lbs, so the only real question is whether my stitching is sufficient enough and if it compromised the webbing.

I used 277 nylon thread and have a dozen (or more) passes on each section of tacking which are divided by a box-cross section in the middle. So there's 6 passes, a box-cross about 3/4" square, then another 6 passes. Each row is 6 stitches. So cumulatively there should be no trouble with the whole joint, but theory is one thing and reality doesn't always play along; that's why we don't trust math and do empirical testing. My sewing is also not computer consistent, so there's that variable added in as well.

If it does rip out, it should be a domino effect and decelerate my fall (which is actually beneficial).

I think rather than testing my actual daisy chain, I'll make some test coupons (not sure what the sewing industry calls them) and see how they do against real world loads.

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Jim Timber---:munch: just asking what ya gonna be lifting with that thing? like what is all them added on loops for? i've never seen such a thing.:dunno:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's got a steel ring I'll clip or tie my main climbing rope into, and the loops in the webbing will be clipped together for the girth adjustment around the trunk.

I'll show you a pic later when I'm home.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've climbed El Cap a number of times, am very good friends with quite a few certified arborists, and rigged some heavy construction loads. And I don't see the need for a daisy chain in the situation you want to use it. Unless you can demostrate your need more clearly, I advise against it and just use standard big chokers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If your employee was to use that and get hurt,it would be a slam dunk in civil and criminal court.if it isn't good enough for someone else,it shouldn't be good enough for you to use. 5000 lb min for life support.i doubt if your 6000 lb is still above 5000 lb.
your rip out idea is standard practice with known strength levels.the impact from falling doubles force for each foot traveling.
Two excellent places to get free info is petzel industrial and Sherrill Tree,both have very good catalogs,with much more than needed to sell products

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My employee?? I think you've gotten lost.

This webbing is rated 6klbs, and the rope might not be (7/16" isn't over 5k iirc).

This is for personal use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts