Green Tractor Talk banner

What do you plan to do with you stimulus check, if you get one?

• Invest it

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Buy something for the green machine

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Give it to a relative in need

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • General fund for bills and such

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Something special

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I don’t qualify for a stimulus check.

Votes: 18 29.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,672 Posts
I hear the $250-billion or is it $350-billion set aside for businesses to make payroll, etc will run out tonight, 4/15/2020. How ironic.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Good move (s) RodW, IMO.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
My $1200 showed up in my account yesterday. I’ll take it, but I don’t understand why they would send someone like me that is still work money. Because others won’t come to work I can pretty much work all the hours I want. looks like I will be working 7 days a week now Because my employer can’t find enough help. Jobs are out there if you want to work.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
My $1200 showed up in my account yesterday. I’ll take it, but I don’t understand why they would send someone like me that is still work money. Because others won’t come to work I can pretty much work all the hours I want. looks like I will be working 7 days a week now Because my employer can’t find enough help. Jobs are out there if you want to work.
Most people don't want to work, especially if they know they can sit home and collect good money. This may be the biggest issue with getting the economy restarted - getting people to work. Just a thought.

·
Registered
588 Posts
What is going to happen when these people realize that they now owe taxes on their unemployment compensation which they allready spent

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
What is going to happen when these people realize that they now owe taxes on their unemployment compensation which they allready spent
A win, win for the crooks in Washington.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I paid $1760 and got $2400 back, on the same day.(15th)...I was not desperate for it, but since I'll be funding it , I'll take it...Helps compensate me for the $50K I spend a year on medical bills for my wife.

Other than saving my whole life , I tend to spend too much...I was about to retire by June, and was lucky enough to have moved a 401K to an IRA and it was basically cash when my financial guy received it...2 days before the market crashed. So this is just a buying opportunity at this point. Will probably come out even with my other IRA taking a hit,

The market has done much better than I expected in this Pandemic.

I volunteered to stay home , so other folks can have more work. I honestly have no interest in going back to work...Been working harder at home repairing an older Jeep WJ.

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
I've gotten $0
Same here. We did not get a refund in 2019 or 2018, but did in 2017. My wife said she had to supply direct deposit information to the IRS. She did as soon as the IRS site was set up for that. We will probably be the LAST ones. :unsure: :mad:o_O
I saw paper checks would be mailed by income, lowest first. Then each week sending to the next $10,000 income level, until maximum income to receive a check is reached.

·
Premium Member
7,672 Posts
My brother-in-law got a paper check the other day, and he tried to deposit it a day early at the bank. He's paranoid about the Beer Bug, yet goes to the bank and gets told he has to come back tomorrow. We use picture deposit for checks.

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
My brother-in-law got a paper check the other day, and he tried to deposit it a day early at the bank. He's paranoid about the Beer Bug, yet goes to the bank and gets told he has to come back tomorrow. We use picture deposit for checks.
I told my daughter, next time she comes over to set us up for picture deposit of checks.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Haven't received mine yet, but at least the government site " Get my Payment" finally worked last night. I was able to confirm that I was eligible for a stimulus check. I needed to confirm some information from my 2018 return and I'm all set. Just a matter of time, but how much time is yet to be determined.

·
Premium Member
7,672 Posts
My wife has figured out why we haven't seen a direct deposit of our stimulus cash and that's because we haven't had a refund in years, so they don't know our banking information. So we'll request a direct deposit of the cash instead of a check as our stimulus will go right back to Uncle Sugar to pay 2019 incomes taxes.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
We haven't gotten any check from Uncle Sugar, but we did get a check from our insurance company.

"This has been issued for the following reason(s):
COVID-19 rapid relief for auto policy customers."

"Here is your relief check for $50.00."

"You can always count on us to be there. We appreciate your business and look forward to continue to serve you."

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Really interesting stories online about why many people are not getting their stimulus money. It comes down in large part to how they receive their annual assistance payment from the Earned Income Tax credit and which source they use to file their taxes.

Read these stories here;

One of the parts of our economy which I really dislike are the segments which are largely designed to exploit people because of their lack of knowledge and their limited financial means. Specifically, such businesses as "Payday Lenders", "Buy Here / Pay Here" sellers of everything from furniture to automobiles. Now I understand the risk in dealing with low credit quality people. But read this article and see the extent to which many "Income Tax Filing Firms" really scalp people to get them their "tax refunds".

To many, their "tax Refunds" have become a critical lump sum of money to support their families. The earned income tax credit means many people get "refunds" of between $4,000 and as much as $14,000 between the credit and other "assistance benefits" paid by the IRS. The amounts which many people pay to get this money, is absolutely absurd and excessive doesn't begin to describe it.

For those people who don't have a bank, just imagine the spanking they get for cashing their income tax refund checks through these places. But then when you read the stories about these debit cards which H&R Block, Quicken, Jackson Hewitt and the other tax preparers charge, its mind numbing.

H&R block made $289,000,000.00 in FEES from their "Refund anticipation loans and Debit card Program" in the last year information was available.

Here are some of the fees these people pay for their "Tax Refund Debit Cards", different places have different fees, the following are just some examples I found.....

$20 to $60 for the card issue
$35 to take the balance off the card through any bank or other financial institution
ATM per use fees of $3 to $4.95 per transaction
$4.95 monthly "Card Fees"
an additional monthly "Fee" when the cards are NOT used and are considered "Inactive", which apparently means any 30 days where the card isn't accessed by the holder
and these are simply related to the "Refund cards".

Why people tolerate these fees and don't simply open an account at their credit union is beyond me. But clearly, many people do. Industry experts claim that as much as 7% of the U.S. population does not have access to a bank or credit union account for their financial transactions, which totals about 14 million adults in America.

·
Premium Member
7,672 Posts
The only reason the parasite tax preparation industry exists is because of our income tax system. The only fair tax is a flat tax. The best stimulus would be to reopen the economy, which never should have been shutdown in the first place.

81 - 100 of 144 Posts