Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
TF,
The forum is having issues with some features and pics no...so we cannot see the trailer in question. We hope it will be rectified soon.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can a crack in a frame be repaired? This trailer has a dovetail of sorts and it looks like the frame cracked at the bend.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Yes it can. But the repair could be a very simple one, to a fairly complicated one depending on the frame and where it's located.

A quick picture shown to a reputable welding shop should be able to tell you the cost involved.

*If* you were able to post a picture here, we could answer in better detail. Maybe after they get the site fixed up?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My boss wants to sell this trailer. The frame looks ok and the axles seem alright. Needs new fenders and paint. And lights. And a deck. Haha. 18 or 20 feet long. Fifth wheel not gooseneck.
I would see what a new one like that in your area brings and then cut the price in half, at least, if not more. That one looks kind of rough, hopefully the bones are good. Figure it will cost a couple of hundred for wood. Fenders are a cosmetic thing so not really required unless they are totally gone. You can spend a lot of money on lights if you want or very little. Hard to price unless you are familiar with the local trailer market if you ask me. It also depends on how fast your Boss wants to move the trailer.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
If the tires were good (good tread, under 5 years old- not just holding air) it might be worth $1,000 if someone really, really wanted it. That looks like a very lightweight trailer and I suspect it has a 7k GVW with two 3,500 lb axles. Needs fenders, paint, floor, wiring, and has a cracked frame? I can't imagine too many people want to put that much work into a trailer that can't haul any more than an average bumper pull and fills up the bed with a hitch.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If the tires were good (good tread, under 5 years old- not just holding air) it might be worth $1,000 if someone really, really wanted it. That looks like a very lightweight trailer and I suspect it has a 7k GVW with two 3,500 lb axles. Needs fenders, paint, floor, wiring, and has a cracked frame? I can't imagine too many people want to put that much work into a trailer that can't haul any more than an average bumper pull and fills up the bed with a hitch.
looks like 6 bolt wheels, so 5200 lb axles..... Looks like a lot of work t me. $1K TOPS IMO.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
You nailed it........As someone who was in the trailer business, you want to avoid "Unusual" set up's as they make selling the trailer even harder in the future. Unusual lengths, light weight axles, deck lengths not proportionate for the size of trailer, beaver tail length taking up too much of the deck space, etc. ........................... The 5th wheel is a BIG DRAW BACK in my opinion, it's expensive to purchase the hitch if you don't have one and they are a bear to take in and out of the truck. It's why everyone is using Goose Neck Hitches on this style trailer. You could convert this to a goose neck, but that's time and money.............................. The trailer has light weight axles, probably 3,500lbs each........On a generous day, I would say it's worth $700 to $850, with it's limitations and the work it needs. If it has been sitting for a long time, you can easily spend $450 for decent tires and the brakes likely need to be gone through. Axle bearings need to be checked. Wiring is probably chewed up by mice so you would either be chasing problems continuously or rewiring the entire trailer................................. Personally, you can buy a new trailer like this for between $3,500 and $4,500. A properly built trailer this size should cost between $5,000 and $7,000 new, but it would have at least two 5,200 pound axles, properly rated tires, LED lights and it would be a goose neck..................................... If you can buy it cheap AND you want a project, then this would give you something to do. If you know how to weld, then you can do much of the work yourself. If you can't that's more money to be spent. Chances are there are a bunch of broken welds on the trailer................................... Yep, I am sticking with my $750 to $850 price range. Bottom line, when it's repaired and put back to proper working condition, it's them maybe a $2,000 to $2,500 trailer. So, that leaves you $1,500 to spend on all repairs, new tires, lights, likely work on the brakes and axles and repairing the broken welds..........................

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Looks like a trailer I've owned for a few years lol. I have beat the snot out of many trailers and once used up I sold them in conditions very similar to what you described. I have always been able to get $600-$1000 out of them depending on just how bad of shape they are in, I never owned a work trailer with a 5th wheel hitch though and not sure how bad that affects the value.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You nailed it........As someone who was in the trailer business, you want to avoid "Unusual" set up's as they make selling the trailer even harder in the future. Unusual lengths, light weight axles, deck lengths not proportionate for the size of trailer, beaver tail length taking up too much of the deck space, etc. ........................... The 5th wheel is a BIG DRAW BACK in my opinion, it's expensive to purchase the hitch if you don't have one and they are a bear to take in and out of the truck. It's why everyone is using Goose Neck Hitches on this style trailer. You could convert this to a goose neck, but that's time and money.............................. The trailer has light weight axles, probably 3,500lbs each........On a generous day, I would say it's worth $700 to $850, with it's limitations and the work it needs. If it has been sitting for a long time, you can easily spend $450 for decent tires and the brakes likely need to be gone through. Axle bearings need to be checked. Wiring is probably chewed up by mice so you would either be chasing problems continuously or rewiring the entire trailer................................. Personally, you can buy a new trailer like this for between $3,500 and $4,500. A properly built trailer this size should cost between $5,000 and $7,000 new, but it would have at least two 5,200 pound axles, properly rated tires, LED lights and it would be a goose neck..................................... If you can buy it cheap AND you want a project, then this would give you something to do. If you know how to weld, then you can do much of the work yourself. If you can't that's more money to be spent. Chances are there are a bunch of broken welds on the trailer................................... Yep, I am sticking with my $750 to $850 price range. Bottom line, when it's repaired and put back to proper working condition, it's them maybe a $2,000 to $2,500 trailer. So, that leaves you $1,500 to spend on all repairs, new tires, lights, likely work on the brakes and axles and repairing the broken welds..........................
Looks like two bolts and some effort to slide out the 5th wheel and replace with a gooseneck. Although it is some money, it's easier and cheaper than cutting and welding.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
$500 is all I would pay. If I saw it personally, I could see maybe $1000, but no more. If you can supply your own labor, it might be worthwhile, however, if you have to pay labor, then drop the idea. You can switch out the fifth wheel hitch for a gooseneck pretty easy without too much expense. Absolutely necessary. I don't know anybody using this type trailer with a fifth wheel hitch. Gooseneck trailers all over the place and is the only way to go. Tell him that it is too expensive to fix and offer to just take it off his hands and see what he says.

Dave

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He wanted 450/500. I have an uncle that is an excellent welder. Best I've seen. I was going to buy a trailer from him but someone wanted to give him more for it. No problem there. He said he'd help me fix up one or build one out of a frame he has. Axle is in the first picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
It doesn't matter what I'm buying, I use the following general approach to valuation:

- How much would it be worth if it were exactly the way I wanted it? No repairs or maintenance needed, and the exact style of "whatever" that I'm in the market for.
- Deduct for every repair using fair value for parts (what I would have to actually spend)
- Deduct some amount of value if it isn't the exact type that I need and I'll have to "work around that"
- Deduct a fair value for labor to do repairs and maintenance
- Deduct for anything that will be a "hassle" (home made trailers with or no proof of prior reg or something that will make registration a hassle)

Always remember that the seller has to sell it more than the buyer has to buy it (this is a good one to remember when selling, too).

When negotiating, I never allow myself to get drawn into the emotional side of things: Yes, I realize you've owned it for a billion years and you had it custom built to suit your needs. I'm sure you got MORE than your investment's worth out of it, and that's great. My usage will be different, and, with some effort, I can make this work for me. It's worth "x" to me, and I totally respect the fact that it may not be what you're looking for.

When they decline, I thank them for their time and tell them that this means I'm obviously going to still be looking at least for a short while. If they change their mind, I would be happy to still offer "x" assuming nothing were to change and feel free to give me a call.

All of it with a smile. The fact that you have an established personal relationship with the seller could make things a bit more sensitive. I don't buy and sell things among family and friends unless there's a very solid understanding going into things. I've seen both sides of those transactions do well AND do not so well.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree. It started as a friend of mine wanting to look at it. So I went and looked it over first. I did look to see what the piece costs to switch to gooseneck ball. TSC has it for about $180. After I looked at it I started to throw around the idea of using it. It doesn't really fit what my friend wanted. I may try to find some heavier axles for a bumper pull. A 7000# setup is good but I'd like a little more capacity.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Most States Require Fenders

I would see what a new one like that in your area brings and then cut the price in half, at least, if not more. That one looks kind of rough, hopefully the bones are good. Figure it will cost a couple of hundred for wood. Fenders are a cosmetic thing so not really required unless they are totally gone. You can spend a lot of money on lights if you want or very little. Hard to price unless you are familiar with the local trailer market if you ask me. It also depends on how fast your Boss wants to move the trailer.
Most States require Fenders and so re not cosmetic. Do you all ready have a 5th wheel on the truck you are going to pull this with? I'm sure you could mod to Goose Neck ball and connections but you are starting to add more cost! I would pass on this one.
Leo

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Depending on that frame crack you were talking about, I'd say $500 isn't out of line for it. Swap it to gooseneck and go.
Can always resell later on.

Of course this depends on what your intent to haul is as well. For a SCUT/MCUT it would be fine capacity wise, if its long enough to handle all attachments.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts