Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
10' Deere disk no hydraulic cylinder. With 12' brillion cultipacker. 14' Brillion cultipacker with knobbed packer wheels. All well kept just the disk has been in fencerow. Wheel bearings all good.
I see disks around that size regularly for sale locally via classifieds and at auctions for $600-$1000. Cultipackers however blow my mind at the prices they fetch. I have never paid close attention to those like the 14' in pic due to being far to big for my use but the 12' would bring well over a $1000. I'm sure this is like all equipment though, what sells cheap in one area is sky high in another part of the country.

·
Premium Member
5,804 Posts
I agree on the disk pricing. Here would be about the same, 1k might be a hair high but I don’t see many Deere’s and it looks in pretty good shape. The paint makes me think it didn’t set in the fence row long.

Can’t tell you on the cultipacker, never see them here.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy that's selling them is an older farmer that has to retire. His vision is going bad. I'll probably just end up with the packer that's? hooked to the disk already. My friend now owns the property and they're buying about half of the guys equipment. Just so it stays well maintained and doesn't go to another farm to get beat up. He also has a couple older Parker and Kill Bros wagons. Around 300 bushel I think. We will drag the disk out of the fencerow and see if there's much that would need fixing. I got first choice at equipment because I'm just starting to gain equipment and small pieces of ground and you don't make much custom hiring everything done.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Not much

LOL, in my case I wouldn't pay much as I already have both a disk and a cultipacker sitting around. Neither has been used for years. Probably 15 years ago, most people in this area moved away from a cultipacker to a rolling harrow, perhaps because they are lighter and still work well to break up any clods.

If you are going to have to move the equipment on the highway, the transport wheels are necessary. Those floating rings really help if the soil is sticky as they tend to make the cultipacker self cleaning but you can't run them on the road. Not only is it tough on the road but the rings break when run on hard surfaces. One issue is that 14' is getting a bit dicey to transport on a narrow road if you have to go any distance. That may be another reason for the switch to rolling harrows as those can be folded much easier and can be made in wider widths but still transportable.

The wheeled cultipacker looks in good shape. Check the hydraulic cylinder for any pitting but it looked good in the pictures. I wouldn't worry too much about the wheel bearings on either the disk or the cultipacker as those are pretty cheap and easy to change. The disk gang bearings are a bit more expensive and can be a pain to change, especially getting the nuts off and then back on and tight enough. A good impact wrench helps but there's still a lot of pieces to get in place with a fair amount of weight involved. If at all possible, raise the disk to transport position and spin the gangs over to see if you have any bad bearings.

On the disk, look hard for any hairline cracks in the frame especially at the corners where stress concentrates. Measure the blades to see how much they've worn and check the leveling mechanism to make sure it moves freely and nothing is bent. Both are pretty simple but there's significant stress involved in pulling machines through and over soft dirt so it doesn't hurt to check for any issues.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Robnik and pcabe5

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Luckily our roads aren't too busy other than the people that live here. Most of my ground is within 200 yards of my shop. Haha. I would prefer the one with transport wheels but it depends on what he wants for it. He also had a field cultivator in the fencerow I was going to pull out because it didn't look too bad. With those tools I'd be pretty well set with the exception of a combine. Which my friend will gladly hire himself to harvest. Haha. I had him plant as well this past spring but I was in a pinch. So he is helping me get ahold of equipment because we figured that even if it takes a couple hours more, it's still cheaper than renting or hiring it done.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I thought he meant for each but he said no for both of them together.
You did good on that deal man. You can wear them both out and still get your money back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts