Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 568 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start a thread about what you did on your property, farm or ranch today.
Maybe there’s a thread that already exists. I'm sure someone will let me know.

Id love to see what other people are up to and exchange ideas.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Didn't do anything but work on the tractor. Should have been tilling but...

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
:dunno: i have nothing to add-except i chased after the firetruck's today too see where the fire was:dunno: other than that-nothing!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Piddling stuff

Just piddled around picking up limbs that had fallen around field edges over the winter. Found one on a cross fence and cut that one off the wire. It had broken one wire and will have to fix that this weekend. Grass is slowly coming out and the cows are cutting back on eating hay but still want it there. If we get the rain predicted for today and then it warms up, I think they will give up the hay entirely be the end of next week. Then it will be time to move a temp fence back to allow some regrowth in a couple of areas.

BTW- for anyone who is contemplating a grapple, just get it. For stuff like I did yesterday it's just so much easier than using a bucket that I don't really mind clean up work. :good2: Mine is a retread from a wrecked mini skid steer and could be better but it so handy I won't have another FEL without one.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Do they make a gate stretcher?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Ha not yet! Ive been there done that before! Ive missed measured doing a garden area and was kicking myself. Being that the soil here in Georgia is hard packed clay, we have to use concrete on the posts so they stay, that makes for one hell of a day getting it out. Other parts of the US that have more sandy soils can just use sand which will compact down over time with water.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,685 Posts
I guess this qualifies for this thread.
Had to fix a waterline that runs from the main house to the RV garage/granny flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
You'd think that the underground pipe would break on top of the ground so you don't have to stand in a hole filled with mud. :laugh:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Worked on some new fencing.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I couldn't agree with Tree Farmer more regarding his comment about getting a grapple. Just do it...

After two years of hauling downed trees by hand I finally plunked for a Titan grapple and a WR Long 3rd function for my 4300 w 430 loader.

For the first time I can foresee finishing the clearing and getting fence up. 20170317_182529.jpg

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Tensioner in first pix

Worked on some new fencing.
Is that a gripple or something like it on the brace wire in the first pix? How do you like that vs. the ratchet tightners?

Treefarmer

Reactions: rtgt and PJR832

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,685 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is that a gripple or something like it on the brace wire in the first pix? How do you like that vs. the ratchet tightners?

Treefarmer
Traditionally most people use a twitch (image attached), which is wood handle or metal and you can turn over time. I like these better (Ratchet type), Ive had AG animals beat up and ruin the traditional twitch's and loosen them up over time. With these there's no wood or anything to break. Also it's easier to turn these with a square fencing that I'm putting up because you are tightening parallel to the fencing, and not against it with a twitch that turns into the fencing. Which isn't a big deal with barbed wire, but is problematic with square, were your twitch will get caught up with the wire.

You can find these at most AG supply stores. I bought these at Tractor supply. These are the Heavy Duty style and run $5 bucks, not cheap, but worth it.

Ive attached some pictures of how they work, images are not in order.

I still need to make sure all of these posts are painted, with one strand of barb wire at the top, then cut off the excess tops making them all the same height.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
How do you like the ratchet type tighteners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All we used for corners as described as well as tensioning electric fence wire in conjunction with a spring. Tensioner got it tight, spring provided give for when deer or cows jumped over/through it. Way less broken wires!

1 - 20 of 568 Posts