Green Tractor Talk banner
2621 - 2638 of 2638 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wow, look at the hood on that cuda!! How did you see around corners? Lol. I would love to drive a 440 -6 pack car.
Very cool. Looks like you are a die hard Mopar guy with that collection.
Mine is a 383. Nothin special but I’ve had it for 31 years. Got it when i was 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny thing about that. I worked in aircraft and my Dad and I built that scoop to go back to the windshield for "airflow".
The following year ProStock cars were running the same setup.
It was all aluminum and the hood was fiberglass weighed 7 lbs IIRC.

Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

this was my stable at 21 YO, in my garage of my house I bought at 20 YO
1970 'Cuda 1973 Chevelle SS
The orange front fender was a Monza project that never made it.
Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Nothing exciting, but I dug up an old knockout rose bush and replaced it with a grandiflora. Didn't take a picture, but I employed my 1025R to encourage the old one to come out. I planted one just like it about three weeks ago and it started to flower in short order. Now if I can just remember to water it every day. Plant Road surface Land lot Brickwork Grass
Plant Property Botany Road surface Vegetation
Plant Property Window Road surface Building

·
Registered
546 Posts
well accomplished another project in waiting, I was painting the trim in the bathroom white so I figured why not get the "m" done in the office room. I already had laid it out in the garage so it was easy. I will do a black pinstripe around the outer edge to clean up the lines
Next some shelves and get all my 1/10 scale MOPAR funny cars on display. I need to find some cases to keep the dust off of them. Probably use white vinyl trim boards for the shelves.
Going back to work on the 27th so I am trying to get a lot done.

World Wood Font Art Gas

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 1025R with three point i match and frontier grapple,bucket loader.
283 Posts
Still pruning away on the apple tree. Got four buckets worth so far and still piles on the ground…its been 30 years. I need my ladder to finish but son is borrowing it.

i wish i took a before picture.

Plant Sky Cloud Plant community Shade

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 1025R with three point i match and frontier grapple,bucket loader.
283 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I doesn’t take much. I watched a Cooper’s Hawk chase a Blackbird right through the thickest part of an 8’ Blue Spruce. They both flew right through and the Hawk got him leaving on the other side.

I prune every year making sure limbs aren’t growing into others and all are pointing outward from the trunk. 30 years is a lot of catching up, but better late than never. It’s surprising how much can be removed annually without weakening the tree.

I was taught to trim excess limbs to allow sunlight to reach everything and all the leaves enough space to dry out during sunny days. All our trees are clearly benefiting.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,343 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
I doesn’t take much. I watched a Cooper’s Hawk chase a Blackbird right through the thickest part of an 8’ Blue Spruce. They both flew right through and the Hawk got him leaving on the other side.

I prune every year making sure limbs aren’t growing into others and all are pointing outward from the trunk. 30 years is a lot of catching up, but better late than never. It’s surprising how much can be removed annually without weakening the tree.

I was taught to trim excess limbs to allow sunlight to reach everything and all the leaves enough space to dry out during sunny days. All our trees are clearly benefiting.
While working, investing much time on the property was a luxury. Now retired i am all in 110% on all of it every day. And in two years of being retired, i have made major improvements with much more to do. Mother nature never stops.

and i got great gear to assist. Takes a lot of the labor out of it.

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Just burned this morning. Perfect with no breeze and everything around lush and green. Just went out to check on it and met a doe with her fawn head on. I went back to the house and she followed me to the edge of our back yard. She had the fawn lay down in some tall thick weeds, then crossed to road into the marsh. Probably going to fill her tank with water.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Working on a wick bar to take out some weeds in hay fields and pastures, especially stickweed and some other stuff I haven't identified yet. I'm not sure how successful this will be but am about to drill 44 holes in a 10' section of PVC and glue fittings. I've marked out for the hole but am letting it sit so I can take another look with fresh eyes before I start drilling. I had to go to three places to get 3" schedule 40 pvc pipe and it cost $5.00/foot so I really don't want to get this wrong, not to mention 44 fittings that once glued in are there whether it's right or not. I've got a bit of time for the weeds to grow out of the grass/clover since we've cut hay and mowed pastures.

If anyone has experience with one of these contraptions, any advice is welcome. I plan on mounting it on the FEL and know that I'll get some wiping onto the tractor tires. I can live with that if I get a decent kill on the weeds without wiping out the grass and clover below.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Working on a wick bar to take out some weeds in hay fields and pastures, especially stickweed and some other stuff I haven't identified yet. I'm not sure how successful this will be but am about to drill 44 holes in a 10' section of PVC and glue fittings. I've marked out for the hole but am letting it sit so I can take another look with fresh eyes before I start drilling. I had to go to three places to get 3" schedule 40 pvc pipe and it cost $5.00/foot so I really don't want to get this wrong, not to mention 44 fittings that once glued in are there whether it's right or not. I've got a bit of time for the weeds to grow out of the grass/clover since we've cut hay and mowed pastures.

If anyone has experience with one of these contraptions, any advice is welcome. I plan on mounting it on the FEL and know that I'll get some wiping onto the tractor tires. I can live with that if I get a decent kill on the weeds without wiping out the grass and clover below.
I made one that attached to the FEL. Yours sounds like the one I made using a kit of fittings and rope. Used a piece of angle iron with welded tabs to bolt to bucket edge. The PVC pipe is held in the VEE with hose clamps. The problem I had was it's slow & time consuming. Ten feet across isn't enough at slower than walking pace. If run faster, didn't get a good deposit on the stalks. I also put an elbow & about 18 inches of pipe vertical on one end. It served as a reservoir and a surge tank as the tractor rocked side to side. Was a good spot to refill the wiper. Just pour it down the tube. I also used rubber test plugs to seal the openings. The elbow and straight section made it easy to empty & save the solution by loosening the clamps and rotating the weed wick into a bucket.

There's another weed wiper that's a rotating drum. I think that would work better since the drum has more surface area to transfer herbicide.

I gave up on the weed wiper and just spray the fields.

·
Registered
New 4044R cab, MX6 Cutter, 440 FEL, Aftermarket mirrors
347 Posts
Great,lol.
Unfortunately, I've been told that many times myself. Never understood why it works, but I've had the best yields from the trees pruned pretty thin. Guess they spend more energy making apples than keeping all those extra limbs & leaves alive...?

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I made one that attached to the FEL. Yours sounds like the one I made using a kit of fittings and rope. Used a piece of angle iron with welded tabs to bolt to bucket edge. The PVC pipe is held in the VEE with hose clamps. The problem I had was it's slow & time consuming. Ten feet across isn't enough at slower than walking pace. If run faster, didn't get a good deposit on the stalks. I also put an elbow & about 18 inches of pipe vertical on one end. It served as a reservoir and a surge tank as the tractor rocked side to side. Was a good spot to refill the wiper. Just pour it down the tube. I also used rubber test plugs to seal the openings. The elbow and straight section made it easy to empty & save the solution by loosening the clamps and rotating the weed wick into a bucket.

There's another weed wiper that's a rotating drum. I think that would work better since the drum has more surface area to transfer herbicide.

I gave up on the weed wiper and just spray the fields.
I like the idea of the test plug to empty. I had a cap to glue on but the test plug seems like a better way. I also have the elbow and screw in plug.

I have patches of weeds that I want to hit rather than whole fields. Spraying works, I just have some reservations with getting it done considering weather, wind etc. I've done some this year but also wanted another option.

The company that sold the kit said 5 mph for normal to light weeds, 3 mph for heavy. 5 mph is my normal spray speed but in the heavy spots, I would slow down so this isn't too different except it's not as wide a path.

I'd like to have a more upscale solution but this is a couple of hundred bucks and the fancier ones are thousands. I'm sure they work better but hope this version and some spraying will do what I need.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Unfortunately, I've been told that many times myself. Never understood why it works, but I've had the best yields from the trees pruned pretty thin. Guess they spend more energy making apples than keeping all those extra limbs & leaves alive...?
Being that might be the case, I suspect it will be an ongoing process interspersed with a few other ongoing projects.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I already have one huge burn pile accrued. Fixing to start on another one.

There are two times of year when pruning should be done on apple trees. Here is what happens when you do:

Dormant season pruning, is done in Jan/Feb after extreme cold weather has past but the tree is still dormant. Pruning at this time of year will invigorate the tree to grow, much like fertilizer would do.

Summer pruning has the opposite effect, it calms the tree down but can expose the tree to Fire Blight which is very bad. Pruning in the Summer is normally in August after the terminal bud has been set and the tree has stopped putting out more foliage. Summer pruning also has the advantage of the novice being able to identify fruiting buds more readily.

Now with that said, I often would fret on where pruning/thinning cuts should be made, how deep into the branch, how many fruiting spurs to remove, inward or outward facing bud. The big guys nowadays use mechanical hedgers that are just like it sounds, a hedger. o_O Anything over a certain height or extends to far into the row and it comes off. No discretion what so ever. Afterwards the trees look just fine too. :cool:

Mechanical Summer Pruning in Apples

2621 - 2638 of 2638 Posts