Green Tractor Talk banner

501 - 520 of 598 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have a couple of cyprus that are on dry land. Well one is on dry land, the other is on land that's sometimes pretty wet. They are very cool trees. We're close to the northern edge of their territory but just 20-50 miles south they are more common. I've also got a few cyprus boards which are light, rot resistant and very strong for their size and thickness. I got them for the bottom of duck decoys and have saved a few back.

Treefarmer
Sounds interesting. Had no idea Cyprus wood was like that. Cyprus is to wood as Aluminum is to metals it sounds like. Time to disappear for a month and go explore. I have friends in the south I haven't seen in decades. But i guess we're getting into the high humidity time of the year so it will have to wait till next year i guess.

·
Premium Member
9,784 Posts
I hate chiggers, they are the devils offspring.
Amen.

The other day I got some chigger bites along my waistline.

It seems that somewhere along the line I had some poison ivy on my fingers when I scratched them......

Since coming in the house I have pulled two ticks off of me.

Isn't summer wonderful!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Amen.

The other day I got some chigger bites along my waistline.

It seems that somewhere along the line I had some poison ivy on my fingers when I scratched them......

View attachment 744350

Since coming in the house I have pulled two ticks off of me.

Isn't summer wonderful! View attachment 744351
why were you scratching poison ivy anyway?

I had a bumper crop of ticks last year on my property there were thousands. Then the wild turkeys moved in and they kinda seemed to disapear. Never seen a chigger and I'm not missing the experiance.
Hope the rest of the week is much better for you. Best wishes

·
Premium Member
9,784 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Make that three.

I wasn't scratching poison ivy - I was scratching chigger bites.
chuckle...thanks. . I'm glad we don't have them the ticks are enough

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
In the day of the main they used copper on the bottom of ships not lead. Copper was the roundup of its day and today it is just as deadly as ever. Wasn't untill recently I realize copper pipes were still in use for potable water and city water or well water for that matter can be slightly acidic. That means many people are ingesting elemental copper in trace amounts with every glass of water they drink. No one has looked at the possible health ramifications as a result as yet. Cast iron is likely the pipe that should be required for potable water because the scale buildup with iron can easily be prevented and a little extra iron in ones diet will never hurt anyone.
Copper is used in many alloys used in power systems especially bearings and they do wear. Oil is designed to capture crud and particles holding them in suspension to protect the engine.
I'm not familiar with the environmental impact of the other metals that will show up in an oil analysis but likely as not some of those may be a tad on the toxic side in micron sized particles.
i've drank water from copper pipes all my life--i seem ok-lol. when we was looking at new houses yrs ago-the pex lines was being used a lot --but the builder we decided on used copper. so we ended up with copper lines in this house, had copper in my home place too, so grew up with it, then we bought my homeplace -- the house trailer we first started out in had that black steel--no maybe it had galvanized pipe-as i had to have that replaced cause it plugged up from too much iron deposits in the pipes. coal country has a lot of iron around here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yesterday since the city pickup is late to my area I thought I would tackle felling the dead Japanese Maple tree on the side of house. The goal was don't break a window, don't wreck the fence, and get all to the street before the pickup comes. My chain saw bar isn't long enough to cut across the stum. I will have to work on the stump later because I ran out of steam and it was beer 30 time. Mission accomplished!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you Gizmo and Texomakid I want that stump gone I have enough stumps in my yard now that later this summer I will rent a stump grinder to get rid of this one four others. I am tired of mowing around them. 9:30 here time to get all the little twigs up from yesterday so I mow the yards. everyone have a great day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds interesting. Had no idea Cyprus wood was like that. Cyprus is to wood as Aluminum is to metals it sounds like. Time to disappear for a month and go explore. I have friends in the south I haven't seen in decades. But i guess we're getting into the high humidity time of the year so it will have to wait till next year i guess.
I'd wait. June and July generally, at least here, are "cooler" (low/mid 90s) but the humidity is horrendous. August is the worst mix of both. September can get over 100 but the humidity is lower, so it's tolerable usually.

October is my favorite month weather wise. Wife and I typically take a week off to relax or get some things done around the place.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i've drank water from copper pipes all my life--i seem ok-lol. when we was looking at new houses yrs ago-the pex lines was being used a lot --but the builder we decided on used copper. so we ended up with copper lines in this house, had copper in my home place too, so grew up with it, then we bought my homeplace -- the house trailer we first started out in had that black steel--no maybe it had galvanized pipe-as i had to have that replaced cause it plugged up from too much iron deposits in the pipes. coal country has a lot of iron around here.
I understand there is an easy way to stop that build up in iron pipe at least thats what APAC indicated. I started using there products decades ago cause they send me only products made in USA!

I have also copper and iron. My one house is also copper that i have lived in since 71 and my other which was built in 1944 has i think galvanized.. I've had no issues with either but the home with copper i have installed a six stage reverse osmosise system for potable water.. The last stage is UV sterilyzation and the water does taste very good. My cost for maintaining this system replaceing filters membranes is less than $100 per year. My other house on a well i need to add some kind of system but as yet i only have a rusco spin down filter and a couple of cartridge type filters but I need more for the whole house.

The spin down filter really takes out all particulates large enough to clog dripper and it has made a dramatic change in the house as well. After adding that filter the bathrooms and shower are much much easier to clean.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I'd wait. June and July generally, at least here, are "cooler" (low/mid 90s) but the humidity is horrendous. August is the worst mix of both. September can get over 100 but the humidity is lower, so it's tolerable usually.

October is my favorite month weather wise. Wife and I typically take a week off to relax or get some things done around the place.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'll make a not of what you said. Interesting to note that as things dry out humidity goes down and conditions are more pleasant. October. But that said i will likely be spending most of my time in an air conditioned car which will rewmove the water so what the heck. Maybe after i get my irrigation going I'll just go:). I wanted to visit the town my dad was born in and I can do that as well cause it was in the south. I was up in the high country today back on an old pack train route over the serra nevada mountains and they were logging it again. Ruined my day.. The high light was when i was watching trout feeding on some kind of bugs back at a place named, The End of the World, a huge truct german brown i think came up right in front of me and gobbled up a six incher. That GB loked to be at l.east 24 inches or more. The country i was in has almost no roads it is steep canyon after canyon and no one lives up there no power no services for over 40 square miles. Like a dummy i took no pictures cause i have been going up there since a kid. Wish i would of now then i could post some.
I do have an old pix of a snow flower. They are so beautiful and pop up over night right on the margine of the melting snow. They seem to like elevations with trees above 5,000 feet. This pix was taken at 6,000 feet

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,834 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks. I'll make a not of what you said. Interesting to note that as things dry out humidity goes down and conditions are more pleasant. October. But that said i will likely be spending most of my time in an air conditioned car which will rewmove the water so what the heck. Maybe after i get my irrigation going I'll just go:). I wanted to visit the town my dad was born in and I can do that as well cause it was in the south. I was up in the high country today back on an old pack train route over the serra nevada mountains and they were logging it again. Ruined my day.. The high light was when i was watching trout feeding on some kind of bugs back at a place named, The End of the World, a huge truct german brown i think came up right in front of me and gobbled up a six incher. That GB loked to be at l.east 24 inches or more. The country i was in has almost no roads it is steep canyon after canyon and no one lives up there no power no services for over 40 square miles. Like a dummy i took no pictures cause i have been going up there since a kid. Wish i would of now then i could post some.
I do have an old pix of a snow flower. They are so beautiful and pop up over night right on the margine of the melting snow. They seem to like elevations with trees above 5,000 feet. This pix was taken at 6,000 feet View attachment 744457
Thanks for the memories I grew up in southern CA and the family would go camping in the sierra nevada mountains back in the 60's and 70's. Back then you it was untouched from progress.

·
Premium Member
13,666 Posts
501 - 520 of 598 Posts