Green Tractor Talk banner

521 - 540 of 568 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thanks for the memories I grew up in southern CA and the family would go camping in the sierra nevada mountains back in the 60's and 70's. Back then you it was untouched from progress.
The area i was in is still untouched by progress but logging is allowed. The only paved road and with really nice potholes goes between the pumping station they use to pump water from one resoviour to another. There is no everything, phone, cell, improved roads,
Road pix in the vally floor at just under 7,000 feet. To get to the valley you go up an old mule pack trail turned into jeep trail. Don't have any pix getting to the valley cause you have to give the trail your undivided attention or you break things.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Yesterday since the city pickup is late to my area I thought I would tackle felling the dead Japanese Maple tree on the side of house. The goal was don't break a window, don't wreck the fence, and get all to the street before the pickup comes. My chain saw bar isn't long enough to cut across the stum. I will have to work on the stump later because I ran out of steam and it was beer 30 time. Mission accomplished!

View attachment 744358

View attachment 744359
That was a massive Japanese Maple. I don't think I've ever seen one that big around here.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
Anyone want to see what dust from the Sahara Desert looks like? It arrived in Arkansas yesterday. View attachment 744663
how long does the dust blow in for ---as much as i would love to live in a warmer climate-i don't know if i would like them terrible dust storms they show. i bet that sucks big time-huh

Reactions: PJR832 and rtgt

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
In the day of the main they used copper on the bottom of ships not lead. Copper was the roundup of its day and today it is just as deadly as ever. Wasn't untill recently I realize copper pipes were still in use for potable water and city water or well water for that matter can be slightly acidic. That means many people are ingesting elemental copper in trace amounts with every glass of water they drink. No one has looked at the possible health ramifications as a result as yet. Cast iron is likely the pipe that should be required for potable water because the scale buildup with iron can easily be prevented and a little extra iron in ones diet will never hurt anyone.
Copper is used in many alloys used in power systems especially bearings and they do wear. Oil is designed to capture crud and particles holding them in suspension to protect the engine.
I'm not familiar with the environmental impact of the other metals that will show up in an oil analysis but likely as not some of those may be a tad on the toxic side in micron sized particles.
Copper is still pretty much the standard for high quality construction like commercial buildings. I've never heard that copper caused any issues. Lead solder used to join the pipes could be a problem but I've never heard or read anything about the pipe itself being a problem. If you have other information from testing, please share.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Make that three.

I wasn't scratching poison ivy - I was scratching chigger bites.
Havilah Babcock (outdoor writer) wrote a hilarious story about chiggers. He was known as a quail hunter but was a professor of English at the University of South Carolina. Very funny stuff.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ive got a tree removal contract from the state. So I dropped some pines, cedars, and elms. When my tractor is back from the shop I will use the pallet forks to move them around.

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
Copper is still pretty much the standard for high quality construction like commercial buildings. I've never heard that copper caused any issues. Lead solder used to join the pipes could be a problem but I've never heard or read anything about the pipe itself being a problem. If you have other information from testing, please share.

Treefarmer
tree farmer-they tell me here at my place-the water has some type of acid in it, that takes the copper out of our pipes. we have had a water conditioner on it since we moved in. my dad did not have any thing when he lived here in a house trailer before he passed away. but i will say if u drank a glass of water without ice in it, i could swear i tasted something in it.
now working out in the big garage i would stop for a drink of water, as long as u left it run to get cold it wasn't half bad to drink.

when we changed water lines around last summer, the water out in the garage is now run thru the conditioner. if we had no conditioner on-they claimed in 20 yrs the copper lines would be toast, and we would of had to replace them. been here 17 yrs so far, no leaks so far-ha!

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

Treefarmer
I haven't either but I began thinking they may be hiding something because copper is banned because of its toxicity in so many things.No copper pots for cooking anymore just coated copper. With the hospital bred super bugs it was found that if curtains and room surfaces were sprayed with a copper solution the incident rates of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) went way way down. It kills all bacteria and viruses. That was two years ago i learned of this from a practicing surgeon that i helped him to locate his son that lived on Long Island. Anyway, because of what he told me I made sure my potable water filtration system was equipped to remove all copper. Hey, we only have one body and i would like mine to last at least a few more years so why play Russian roulette with it..

However, we must keep in mind that there are several metals out bodies need in minute amounts, I'm talking a few parts per billion each day. Some substances like dioxin compounds there is no safe amount even though the NIOSH safety guide lists one. In fact a good percentage of the limits were just guessed at with no real research behind them that are posted in the guide. I use the guide as a resource but always lean towards lower limits on everything than those that are listed. I have never seen published limits go up in the guide only down over the years.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Amen.

The other day I got some chigger bites along my waistline.

It seems that somewhere along the line I had some poison ivy on my fingers when I scratched them......

View attachment 744350

Since coming in the house I have pulled two ticks off of me.

Isn't summer wonderful! View attachment 744351
Chiggers? never had a chigger bite, one good thing about the cold is it keeps the riff raff down.

Poison Ivy, it does seem to bother me too bad. I can walk and work in areas with it and I don't get it. If I rolled in it I think I'd be hurting.
I have heard that you can build an immunity to it. I think that's true. Before I retired I worked in doors so it was rare I'd ever come in contact with it.
The first year I started working out in the woods again I got the stuff continuously all summer long.
Now I'm out in the woods pretty much every day. I've been pulling/treating Thistles and Burdock in area that have lots of it.
I wear shorts too. I rarely get it and if I do its minor and gone in a day or two.

Ticks? I got 2-3 last year and 2 so far this year. They seem most active in early spring. Before all the leaves are out. Used to NEVER get one in this area when I was a kid. They were in the Northern 1/2 of the state but like I mentioned not in the southern 1/2 where I've always lived. I think the Boom in the deer population in the last couple of decades maybe adding to it.
I've seen a couple of studies that claim that burning greatly reduces the tick population. I burn my woods and fields on and off.

The biggest issue to me with summer is the heat and humidity. If the temps stayed in the 50-70 range all summer I'd be good.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Chiggers? never had a chigger bite, one good thing about the cold is it keeps the riff raff down.

Poison Ivy, it does seem to bother me too bad. I can walk and work in areas with it and I don't get it. If I rolled in it I think I'd be hurting.
I have heard that you can build an immunity to it. I think that's true. Before I retired I worked in doors so it was rare I'd ever come in contact with it.
The first year I started working out in the woods again I got the stuff continuously all summer long.
Now I'm out in the woods pretty much every day. I've been pulling/treating Thistles and Burdock in area that have lots of it.
I wear shorts too. I rarely get it and if I do its minor and gone in a day or two.

Ticks? I got 2-3 last year and 2 so far this year. They seem most active in early spring. Before all the leaves are out. Used to NEVER get one in this area when I was a kid. They were in the Northern 1/2 of the state but like I mentioned not in the southern 1/2 where I've always lived. I think the Boom in the deer population in the last couple of decades maybe adding to it.
I've seen a couple of studies that claim that burning greatly reduces the tick population. I burn my woods and fields on and off.

The biggest issue to me with summer is the heat and humidity. If the temps stayed in the 50-70 range all summer I'd be good.
Be thankful you are resistant to poison ivy. As a kid, I was as well until we were cleaning a fence row one time and burning the brush and I got in the smoke. Had a hell of a rash over much of my body and I've had some sensitivity to it ever since. My brother is still resistant- it doesn't bother him at all so far.

I have to be careful about ticks. I know I've had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever once and wouldn't be surprised if I haven't had Lymes with few symptoms. As you say, they are worse in spring when I could get a bunch, even with spray. Fleas love me, they will leave the dog to chew on my hide and a flea bite itches like crazy for me. Some of the other biting bugs don't bother me as much as other people, I don't know why in either case.

I supposed God put all of those things here for a reason but since I'm not God, I kinda wish they weren't here.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

You can loose your immunity overnight to the poison sumac family. I have never been affected by it but people that go with me somtimes get it and i even warn them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The solder used for copper pipes ,,no longer has lead in it ,,it was outlawed about 20 years ago,,,was working as a plumber then and we didn't like using the lead free stuff at first because it took more heat to melt the new stuff ,and slowed down our soldering.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The solder used for copper pipes ,,no longer has lead in it ,,it was outlawed about 20 years ago,,,was working as a plumber then and we didn't like using the lead free stuff at first because it took more heat to melt the new stuff ,and slowed down our soldering.
wonder what the new stuff was made of?

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Your right about it not flowing as well. I could do a passable job of soldering with the old solder, I'm not near as fast with silver solder. I get that lead isn't good for you and it's a health improvement but it doesn't flow as well.

Treefarmer

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Your right about it not flowing as well. I could do a passable job of soldering with the old solder, I'm not near as fast with silver solder. I get that lead isn't good for you and it's a health improvement but it doesn't flow as well.

Treefarmer
Yep lead isn't good for you, they say the same thing about cholesterol but without it our bodies would be stiff as a tree. 🦚... Its essential to life.😀

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,772 Posts
Yep lead isn't good for you, they say the same thing about cholesterol but without it our bodies would be stiff as a tree. 🦚... Its essential to life.
Also a BIG money maker, for some.

521 - 540 of 568 Posts