Green Tractor Talk banner

581 - 600 of 677 Posts

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
So, using the belting, you leave it sticking up 8-10", then just drive over it and it stands back up... I like that idea. If I can find some belting I may try that.
That's the idea. Next time I go by a sand/gravel plant and have some extra time I'm going to inquire about worn out belting. There's a recycled materials place that sells it on the web but since the stuff is so heavy the shipping cost is prohibitive.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
That's the idea. Next time I go by a sand/gravel plant and have some extra time I'm going to inquire about worn out belting. There's a recycled materials place that sells it on the web but since the stuff is so heavy the shipping cost is prohibitive.

Treefarmer
Yes I found them, they have a SC location, I am going to see if they have a pickup option, $349 fixed shipping is way high.
And I will also check the quarry option, that should be a good source too.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Wanted to add this too... I have a lot of trails to cut back, maybe two miles or more. These trails have gone 5+ years with no maintenance. I started using a Stihl pole saw HT-133, weed eater FS-94R and machete. Last week I decided I needed to add the hedge trimmer to the arsenal, well the hedge trimmer is a Echo and has seen better days... needs some carb work fuel lines and a new tank (cracked), so I broke down and bought the Stihl Kombi system powerhead KM-131R and a FH-KM power scythe. Whoa! game changer! This is the tool for cutting back trails and roads. I finished up the last mile and a half by myself in just a few hours. Now I can get the new 3039R and bush hog in to cut them down. Picture does no justice to the work... I was probably not thinking right and overheated when I took it hahaha!

Oh, another big deal for me is being able to break it down. I have an old Kawasaki Mule and the bed is super small. Weedeaters and pole saw have to be lashed to the top or fished through the roll bars. Being able to break the tools down to half length is a HUGE plus, and a bonus I wasnt even thinking about. And just like that I am a Kombi fan boy.

View attachment 745667
Yep, the kombi system really kicks butt I have owned one since they first came out. I have most of the attachments and since i discovered how well the pole trimmer trims hedges i don't use my hedge trimmer tool. I try to use it once in awhile but i end up going to the pole trimmer without the pole. Cuts cleaner and nothing stops it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No pictures from the long weekend as it was too hot here in Arkansas but here is a short run of it for me!
Mowed 4 acres with the ZTR's.
Bush hogged wild blackberry - sweet gum - persimmon thickets. Hate that I don't have a picture of the blackberry's as they were over 6 feet tall in places.
Serviced one of the ZTR's.
Removed fuel hoses and cleaned the fuel tank screen on my 4105. It was plugged with gray mud. Looking for a new fuel supplier!
Trimmed sweet gum limbs out of the way for the pine planting this winter.
Root waded and sheered off several small persimmon saplings.
When I say hot it was in the low 90's but so was the humidity. Couple that with no wind and it was plain miserable. It went well beyond boob sweat for this old man!:)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
No pictures from the long weekend as it was too hot here in Arkansas but here is a short run of it for me!
Mowed 4 acres with the ZTR's.
Bush hogged wild blackberry - sweet gum - persimmon thickets. Hate that I don't have a picture of the blackberry's as they were over 6 feet tall in places.
Serviced one of the ZTR's.
Removed fuel hoses and cleaned the fuel tank screen on my 4105. It was plugged with gray mud. Looking for a new fuel supplier!
Trimmed sweet gum limbs out of the way for the pine planting this winter.
Root waded and sheered off several small persimmon saplings.
When I say hot it was in the low 90's but so was the humidity. Couple that with no wind and it was plain miserable. It went well beyond boob sweat for this old man!:)
90 and 90 will kill! 🤪Crazy to work in that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Over the past month my dad, wife and I have replaced the door, current windows, and framed in & added new window on the North end. Two weekends ago we finished residing the North & South faces)
Apologies for the crappy pictures, I really need a new phone.
Before & after:
Just needs a fresh coat of paint on the eves!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Over the past month my dad, wife and I have replaced the door, current windows, and framed in & added new window on the North end. Two weekends ago we finished residing the North & South faces)
Before & after:
View attachment 745837
View attachment 745838
I like her, nice job.👍

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Before & after:
View attachment 745837
View attachment 745838
Somebody stole your handrails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
569 Posts
Went out to drill 19 post holes today. Got one done, started on the second and hit a rock about 10 inches down that the auger just spun on top of. I excavated the rock, and this is where I was after burning up my rotohammer (it was ancient, not surprised):

View attachment 745562

I got nowhere fast with those seven holes, so off to get the cutoff saw. A couple hours later:
View attachment 745563

The face is about 20 inches tall. After clearing out that part of the rock, I checked if my hole would be clear. I won the battle today, but lost the war. In order to set my post where I wanted, the entire rest of the rock in the second picture would need to be removed. Needless to say, I'm altering the fence line, what a waste of a day.
reminds me of the excavators that put in my driveway thru the hardwoods.
They had lots of rocks and tree stumps to move 1st off.
The biggest rocks were maybe 3-4ft in dia., not all that big for a bulldozer and a excavator.
Asked them if they ever ran into rocks that looked small but turned out too big to move.

Showed me pictures of the rock they hit while digging the foundation on Brothers cabin up north.
While digging foundation they hit this rock. Kept digging and digging to find the edges and before they knew it the rock was bigger than a pickup truck with no end in sight.
I asked them what they did to get rid of it.

He laughed and said "we moved the cabin".

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
This is from Monday, we were asked if we wanted to cut/bale a couple of small fields for a neighbor of my in laws.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I tried to cut my lawn but couldn't do it cause of all the yellow flowers. Under all that yeller there are all kinds of different flowers, some very small. Also some violet ones the birds must have planted.

Chuckl;e...that red spot above the yellow flowers is a Massey Ferguson on the BLM road crossing my land owned by a neighbor

The one below i have never seen before.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
This is from Monday, we were asked if we wanted to cut/bale a couple of small fields for a neighbor of my in laws.
It looked like that Gehl baler was taking hay pretty well at a good clip. Nice tractor collection as well.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Looks very similar to wild morning glory, that stuff will choke out a corn field, around they treat it as the enemy.
It looked like that Gehl baler was taking hay pretty well at a good clip. Nice tractor collection as well.
It does when my BIL runs it, my FIL would have been going half that speed, but it still makes good bales.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Honeysuckle?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Looks very similar to wild morning glory, that stuff will choke out a corn field, around they treat it as the enemy.

It does when my BIL runs it, my FIL would have been going half that speed, but it still makes good bales.
Don't morning glory s have a trumpet shaped flower? This one is more like a thistle style

Reactions: Marx1025R

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Don't morning glory s have a trumpet shaped flower? This one is more like a thistle style
Yes, I simply said it looks "similar" too, meaning it could be from a like family. Invasive vines, I'll get a look at some tonight if I remember, we have all over around us.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
I tried to cut my lawn but couldn't do it cause of all the yellow flowers. Under all that yeller there are all kinds of different flowers, some very small. Also some violet ones the birds must have planted.

Chuckl;e...that red spot above the yellow flowers is a Massey Ferguson on the BLM road crossing my land owned by a neighbor
View attachment 746066 View attachment 746067

View attachment 746068
I should remember what that stuff is as we have it. It turns into almost a tumbleweed when it dies down. It's also difficult to kill because it's a lot of vine and roots and not much leaf area. Think, think, think. Nope, not coming up with the name- maybe later.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
75 Posts
Worked on cleaning up more of the thickets in the pasture this weekend. Bulldozed and chopped up saplings, wild blackberry and cow itch vines. This weekend I'm going to rip the fire lanes to clear out the roots and sticks. Going to order my 3 star loblolly pine, a few nuttall oak and red mulberry seedlings Thursday morning. As much as I've enjoyed this job I'm glad it's winding down. The river water level is starting to drop and I need to restock my freezer with blue catfish!

581 - 600 of 677 Posts