Green Tractor Talk banner

601 - 620 of 677 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Had me a little tillage fun today, after I mowed down the buckwheat I chewed it up and turned it under

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I need a mirror like yours. Where did you get it?
I got it from the garage that repairs our trucks at work, but any NAPA or such should have them. It's a 6" big truck spot mirror mounted with a 3/16"x1" piece of flat stock.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Tilled up a 16x25 spot to plant some chicken forage mix. Trying this for the first time. We have some Cornish cross meatbirds coming in September and they’re going to be pastured on this if it turns out. Normally they’re in 4x8 chicken tractors and just get moved around in the yard. Hopefully this cuts back on their feed bill so it gives me reasons for a cultipacker and drag harrow.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Tilled up a 16x25 spot to plant some chicken forage mix. Trying this for the first time. We have some Cornish cross meatbirds coming in September and they’re going to be pastured on this if it turns out. Normally they’re in 4x8 chicken tractors and just get moved around in the yard. Hopefully this cuts back on their feed bill so it gives me reasons for a cultipacker and drag harrow.
How many chickens do you have? We have 22 hens and 1 rooster and they could turn a 16x25 spot of grass into dirt in about two weeks with ease. Ours are not free range though, too many neighborhood dogs and foxes, but they eat like queens this time of the year with all the greens from the gardens. Ours do 100 lbs of layer mash and about 50 lbs of sratch feed/black oil sunflower mix each month, but their only purpose is to provide me with breakfast material and my wife makes a little cash selling eggs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
We have about 100 layers with a few Roos. This area will be for the meatbirds, they only go to 8 weeks max. They’ll still be in their chicken tractor so hopefully this area will make it through the whole 8 weeks. They’ll actually really only be foraging for about 6 weeks, they’ll spend at least a week in the brooder pen. Here’s the finished product. We spread the seed mix by hand then raked it in. My son drove the gator over it pulling an empty yard roller to press the seeds in the soil. Rain is predicted for tomorrow afternoon so that should get it started quickly. We enclosed this area with 4’ orange plastic fence. That should keep most of the hens out of there.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Finish mowing a couple of areas that are tight to get a bigger tractor and mower into. One was between a fence and a stream and we must have missed mowing it last year as it was pretty dicey getting through. Weeds, blackberry bushes, gum trees etc. all had to be pushed over by the grapple before getting to the mower. There was quite a bit of stuff flying out of the mower to say the least. I left it cut at about a foot so next time the stobs will be tall enough for the tires to push them over instead of acting like pungi stakes. At least I hope so.

Also hit one little spot of Johnson grass and a few weeds in one pasture with the spot sprayer.

I was a little late starting and finished at noon. It was already about 92 and headed up from there.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
This area will be for the meatbirds, they only go to 8 weeks max. They’ll still be in their chicken tractor so hopefully this area will make it through the whole 8 weeks. They’ll actually really only be foraging for about 6 weeks, they’ll spend at least a week in the brooder pen.
Okay, I understand now. Ours are like pets to my wife, so no roasters being raised here LOL

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
601 - 620 of 677 Posts