Green Tractor Talk banner

1181 - 1200 of 1288 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Your ticks look so big compared to our deer ticks.

I would contribute more to this thread but I never have a camera with me. Spent the morning yesterday clearing another section of my property of jagger bushes and saplings. Working with my pole saw and loppers helped keep me warm.

No ticks for me yesterday.

When I moved from western PA to Oklahoma, people thought I was crazy for calling "thorn bushes" jagger bushes. This made me smile.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I also noticed termites in the base of a streetside pine tree I've been nursing along. That tree and the one next to it can't be be saved - the heartwood has died out. Unfortunately, the trees are right next to two ground-level electrical transformers and a telecomm pedestel. The larger tree also leans toward the street. I'm hoping the county or the utilities will remove the trees in self defense. Otherwise, I'll have to get creative and try to make a couple of "elevated" cuts so I can pull the top portion with a friend's truck.
Good news -- since my pine trees were bug-infested, the county agreed to take them down and haul away everything for free. I called Friday, they called back Monday morning, and the trees were gone by 9am Wednesday! One of the perks of living in a friendly, not-too-big Southern neighborhood...

I cut the two 14" stumps three inches below ground level today and filled over them. Mission complete.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Set up a couple of the fountains:
HPIM3174.JPG

HPIM3173.JPG

The first one supplies Dottie's cooling tank & yes, I know the windmill head needs a paint job!

I used to use oil drain pans for the second one, but the oil pan quality is so poor anymore, I changed to plastic feed pans this year.

·
Registered
224 Posts
... Also took a locust thorn through the calf. Now that I am back in the house and quit moving my calf is insanely sore and tight due to their toxin.
Those things are evil! Thanks for getting rid of another one. Good luck with the piercing!

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Those honey locust thorns are a pain in the (pick your choice here).

Dave

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,617 Posts
So with what I had planned to get done in a day with the loader ended up taking me a little over 2 full days without it.
Place is beautiful, your efforts were well worth it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I started fixing a low spot in the backyard of our recently purchased 10 acres. I repurposed some dirt from the back of our three car garage, the grade is such that water doesn’t drain away, but flows back toward the garage.

I’m also dealing with a Tick issue. Removed 8 ticks total between two dogs. They can’t piss without getting on on them.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Our daughter and her husband needed some help reclaiming a portion of their lot that had been allowed to go natural. It's an L shaped lot and the back portion was fenced off. Behind their house was trees, brush, various vines etc. that needed cutting. Behind the neighbor's house there was a rickety wooden fence, lots of trash that renters had just tossed over the fence and more trees. I spent a fair amount of time with the brush saw- used all three heads at various times depending on what I was guessing was under the brush- metal three pointed blade if it seem clear, plastic swing blades if not too bad, string head for the really dubious stuff.

Chain saw for the larger trees including one mulberry limb that was about 16" diameter but needed to come down for the new fence they want to put up. I don't really like cutting stuff that big from above my chest but cut it down safely. Pretty good thump when that one hit the ground.

Reciprocating saw for the old wooden fence. This was a 7' privacy fence put up with 10' 4x4s which were only about 14" in the ground. The builder had dug a shallow hole, backfilled all but the top 5-6", set bricks around and then probably compacted concrete dry mix to set the posts. It didn't take much to pull them out of the ground even without any tractor available.

If I could have taken my tractor, it would have been a one day job but spent the weekend and didn't get everything done. Still, it looks a lot better than it did and much of the heavy work is done.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
Started busting up some firewood I brought out of the woods a while back. Bark had loosened enough to get it off. Made for a lot of homeless grubs.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,617 Posts
So green there rtgt, have you mowed yet?

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
So green there rtgt, have you mowed yet?
Not yet. My neighbor broke the seal and cut his yesterday.

The Z is in the garage ready for an oil change.

It is on the "To Do" list.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,617 Posts
It is on the "To Do" list.
I've got a service pack waiting patiently for my X310 as well, but we still have a couple of weeks, at least.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Just inspected one of my remote watering holes with my drone. It’s about a quarter mile away. Looks like the rain topped’r off.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Picked up a scoop of aged sawdust with the 2025R for covering my garden peas before the 23* freeze tonight, breaking it up here:
HPIM3178.JPG

Some of the new whirlybirds in action:
HPIM3179.JPG

1181 - 1200 of 1288 Posts