Green Tractor Talk banner

1221 - 1240 of 1288 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Once it spouts it will be sprayed with herbicide, then fertilized. Then it will be flooded through a system of levees. Water will stay on it until it ripens around September. I'll post more pics as it progresses.
Thanks. Rice is one crop that I've never been around. Corn, soybeans, wheat, cotton, peanuts etc. are all in Virginia but no rice as far as I've ever heard.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
678 Posts
Once it spouts it will be sprayed with herbicide, then fertilized. Then it will be flooded through a system of levees. Water will stay on it until it ripens around September. I'll post more pics as it progresses.
Sounds interesting. Looking forward to following your progress.
Here's hoping your crop is a huge success.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,617 Posts
Busy day, after spending the morning pounding fence post back in( no pics)
It was time to move the poop pile
From here

Down to the compost pile

Then it was time to put a shine on the disc blades, first the potato field

Then on to the corn field

What I was doing in the fields was simply breaking up the sod so it doesn’t clump when my FIL runs the chisels through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Still recovering from our winter storms here in the Texas Hill Country. Our beautiful oak tree canopy is gone, looks like a tornado came through. Today I did more tree pruning using the boom lift and my Stihl pole saw, even with the equipment I can't reach all of the broken limbs so nature will have its way.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Those buffalo gnats leave a nasty welt!

Vanilla extract seems to repel them, but it makes me crave ice cream

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Yep we've tried everything including drier sheets. The best protection is wind. They won't bother you in the wind but as soon as you get out of it they will swarm you. The good thing is warm and dry days gets rid of the little bloodsuckers quicker than anything. We hit 80 degrees today and it made a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Still recovering from our winter storms here in the Texas Hill Country. Our beautiful oak tree canopy is gone, looks like a tornado came through. Today I did more tree pruning using the boom lift and my Stihl pole saw, even with the equipment I can't reach all of the broken limbs so nature will have its way.
I know the feeling. The ice storm we had in Oregon destroyed our oak grove too. We’ll have to get a bucket truck in to reach the tops of the trees near the house so they can be taken down in pieces. Some are no more than 50’ high matchsticks since the ice stripped the limbs off.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I know the feeling. The ice storm we had in Oregon destroyed our oak grove too. We’ll have to get a bucket truck in to reach the tops of the trees near the house so they can be taken down in pieces. Some are no more than 50’ high matchsticks since the ice stripped the limbs off.
I feel for both you and John. Ice is an issue that just never seems to stop causing problems when it hits. Stay safe dealing with the broken limbs. It's sometimes really tough to know exactly the forces on them and how they will react to a cut.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Stay safe dealing with the broken limbs. It's sometimes really tough to know exactly the forces on them and how they will react to a cut.
I agree, that’s why I’ll be hiring a tree service to take care of those. Once everything is on the ground, then I can deal with it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've never had to think about this before but will your homeowner's insurance cover any of the bill for the tree service?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I've never had to think about this before but will your homeowner's insurance cover any of the bill for the tree service?
It's worth an inquiry with your agent. In my case, if the tree is on or damaged an insured structure like my house or an outbuilding then coverage applied. If it fell in the yard, no coverage. If it's hanging over an insured structure, I'm not sure as I haven't dealt with that one. . .yet. Logically you would think the insurance company would be better off paying to remove the hazard before it caused damage but the policy controls that. They may also say it's your problem to fix to prevent damage- dunno.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
13,189 Posts
It's worth an inquiry with your agent. In my case, if the tree is on or damaged an insured structure like my house or an outbuilding then coverage applied. If it fell in the yard, no coverage. If it's hanging over an insured structure, I'm not sure as I haven't dealt with that one. . .yet. Logically you would think the insurance company would be better off paying to remove the hazard before it caused damage but the policy controls that. They may also say it's your problem to fix to prevent damage- dunno.

Treefarmer
back a couple yrs ago when the wind blew off some of the shingles on my house roof. i was telling the agent or whatever the ladys title was about how some of my trees got blew over in the meadow down by the creek. she said oh i'll pay ya $500 for them trees u lost. i said really -ya u have coverage for downed trees. jeepers for almost 40 yrs i had no idea i had that coverage for downed trees not affecting buildings. who knew-ha-i took the check and ran. hehe

·
Registered
25,202 Posts
back a couple yrs ago when the wind blew off some of the shingles on my house roof. i was telling the agent or whatever the ladys title was about how some of my trees got blew over in the meadow down by the creek. she said oh i'll pay ya $500 for them trees u lost. i said really -ya u have coverage for downed trees. jeepers for almost 40 yrs i had no idea i had that coverage for downed trees not affecting buildings. who knew-ha-i took the check and ran. hehe
We must have the same insurance. When my big pine tree fell I called to ask. They told me if it didn’t hit the house or any out buildings they would pay $500 toward the removal.

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
Logically you would think the insurance company would be better off paying to remove the hazard before it caused damage but the policy controls that. They may also say it's your problem to fix to prevent damage- dunno.
You would think they'd at least help with the cost.

Now on the other hand, IF you were to be trying to prevent the hazard and it fell on the house, you're probably covered then.

I recall Dad used that approach once. Damaged tree close to the house. Insurance agent said it was his responsibility to remove the hazard. Dad told him he couldn't afford a tree service and asked if he was covered if the tree damaged the house while he was attempting to remove it. Insurance adjuster told him to get a couple quotes and call him back.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
No, only if they damage a building. The funny thing was it did cover some fencing that was damaged, but only half since it was shared with a neighbor. In the end, the things they did cover that we were unaware of and unexpected, will go quite a ways in paying for the tree service, so in a roundabout way it will help.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
If it's hanging over an insured structure, I'm not sure as I haven't dealt with that one. . .yet.
I specifically asked that question because there was/is a big limb that looks like it could break away and land on the roof. He equated it to insurance covering a worn tire on your car and it might blow before you replace it. They’re not going to cover something that might happen.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I would think an inquiry to your insurance carrier would be worth the few minutes for the call. Coverage can vary from company to company. If you don't know for sure if you are or aren't covered it won't hurt to ask.
I recently retired and shortly afterward I got a card in the mail offering discounts on auto insurance for retired persons. I made a call and took notes of the coverage and cost. I then contacted my insurance agency. One discount I wasn't getting was I wasn't driving back and forth to work every day. After going over all my coverage I ended up saving over $250 every 6 months and ended up with lower deductibles than I previously had.
Pretty good return for a 10 minute phone call.

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
He equated it to insurance covering a worn tire on your car and it might blow before you replace it. They’re not going to cover something that might happen.
I understand the argument, however it is not apples to apples.

You can not drive the car till you can get a worn tire replaced.

A tree limb over the house is a danger until it can be removed and the longer it is there, the greater the risk.

The worn tire happened over time and you can budget / plan for that replacement. It is normal maintenance.

The tree & limb was damaged by a storm and was not neglect or lack of normal maintenance on your part and it is now a hazard to your insured property. Unlike a car, it is not able to be put out of service until a repair can be made.

I hope for your sake that you can get it taken care of before any damage is done.

1221 - 1240 of 1288 Posts