Green Tractor Talk banner
1641 - 1660 of 1688 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sericea Lespedeza and woody brush control? The Nature Conservancy and Bass Brothers Cattle company now own the old Chapman-Barnard ranch east of me and they have been burning this past week. I’m interested to see the results because aerial spraying is only giving a short term control around here. They say the seed can lay dormant in the ground for up to 15 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sericea Lespedeza and woody brush control? The Nature Conservancy and Bass Brothers Cattle company now own the old Chapman-Barnard ranch east of me and they have been burning this past week. I’m interested to see the results because aerial spraying is only giving a short term control around here. They say the seed can lay dormant in the ground for up to 15 years.

Kansas State extension has been recommending fall burns for a minimum of 3 years to fight lespedezia. We're fighting it in the flint hills.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

Yep. I am tired of spraying all the dang time for it. Presettlement fires occurred in the summer every 3 to 5 years. This is basically a test plot for me. I know where the sericea was, so I am going to see what happens.

Here is a recent article on some ranches around here bucking the traditional way folks do things. It talks about late summer burns.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I can’t call it a weed anymore. It’s a prairie virus! GRDA planted it all up and down the lakes and river systems for erosion control. A state east of me they bale it for hay. It blows my mind that some land owners won’t even try a little to control it. There are 2 good cost share programs going on here through the Soil Conservation Board and the EQUIP. It doesn’t take but a hour to fill out the paperwork.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I can’t call it a weed anymore. It’s a prairie virus! GRDA planted it all up and down the lakes and river systems for erosion control. A state east of me they bale it for hay. It blows my mind that some land owners won’t even try a little to control it. There are 2 good cost share programs going on here through the Soil Conservation Board and the EQUIP. It doesn’t take but a hour to fill out the paperwork.

I remember an uncle proudly showing off a field of it- combination grazing and wildlife food. I guess it's good quail habitat but too much of a good thing isn't good either.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Smoothing out more area enough to run a finish mower over. Probably going to take another tilling and raking. Attaching my drag to my rake is a pretty good combination.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
It must be Monday. A neighbor asked if I would take his golf cart to the repair shop which I agreed to do. Check the small utility trailer and found a tire flat. I'm pretty sure it's a bad valve stem so just put a spare on. Evidently while changing the wheel, I loosened the hubcap (through the cap grease fitting) because when I got home it was missing.

I wasn't just me that was having a Monday. At the shop, one employee went to move their tow truck and asked the owner where the cab key was. Answer- there was no door key- who locked the doors?

When we left, they were fishing through the window to unlock the door to the rollback. . .

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

Its a requirement to do something here. Its considered a Noxious weed. However the neighbor to the west never sprays for it. The Federal govt doesn't treat it either. So every time the lake comes up I get a new crop of seed and Johnson grass. I've just resigned myself to the fact I will never rid myself of it. Big pasture to my NW is chocker block full of it. 100s of acres worth. They pulled the cattle saturday so I expect to see either a burn, or a plane flying on chemicals.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Took down barrier between adults and babies in the birdhouse. Also added 2 more inches of sand into the sandbox. That's their favorite spot.
Was expecting adults to be disgruntled but They all had a good time

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Day 1 of framing yesterday with good results, good friends and good beer. One more day and then roofing goes on. Old guys rock! View attachment 802267
Day 3 of building , Buddies and beer. Roof sheathing almost complete. Roofing comes next. Lost one of our volunteers yesterday to something more important to him...................College football
Property Building Wood House Window
Property Building Wood House Window ! Old guys rock.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
The dog & I mowed about 45 acres with the 4440 & a R15.

View attachment 802682
View attachment 802683
Vert very clean old 4440. Awesome !!!
What a beautiful machine.

I grew up running one just like it .
It is just crazy what a clean 4440 cost now days .
The low hour say under 2000 hours super clean condition machines are bringing more then we paid new for them 40 years ago.
That generation 40/50/55/60 are legendary Deere tractors ,

1641 - 1660 of 1688 Posts