Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the beginning of November and time to start thinking about Thanksgiving. Looks like it will be just the wife and myself again this year, but that doesn't stop me from fixing up the whole deal. Seems like we have fallen in to a rut, same ole menu year after year.

I'm going to share what our menu will most likely be this year, and hopefully with input from others' menus I may switch things up a bit.

Here goes:

Smoked Turkey breast, haven't decided on this years brine whether to go citrus or maple
Roasted Turkey (small), mainly for the dark meat for the dogs but also for gravy stock and giblets
Mashed potatoes
Gravy w/ giblets
Stuffing with pecans and cranberries
Candied Yams with marshmallows
Green bean surprise
Corn
Acorn squash (for me, she don't like it)
Cranberry sauce (for her, I don't like it)
Rolls
Apple Pie w/ whipped topping

This will end up giving us 4-5 days worth of meals. You know the drill; Thanksgiving (Thurs), Thanksgiving the sequel (Friday), Turkey and gravy over toast (Sat), Turkey salad tortilla bowls (Sun).

Any ideas or favorites for a Turkey brine?? Willing to try something new this year.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
The plan is to have over close friends who's families are across the country, just as we do each Thanksgiving. Then the menu will be;

Turkey
Dressing with a crispy top finished in the oven
Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Butter
Macaroni Moose (An EXCELLENT Dish from my grandmothers recipe)
Corn
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Home made Rolls
Home made wheat bread
Pumpkin Pie

The Macaroni Moose is a layered dish baked in a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish in the oven. It has cooked macaroni, cream of mushroom soup, pimentos, sliced mushrooms, 3 types cheeses, torn up bread pieces and probably some other stuff I am forgetting. You mix the ingredients (leaving out the cream of mushroom soup) in a bowl and then you put a layer in the pyrex baking dish, layer shredded cheeses across the top, another layer of the ingredients and then another layer of cheese and then a can of cream of mushroom soup spread over the top sprinkled with more shredded cheese and then baked in the oven. I will have to take some pictures of it this year for this site. It's a great holiday dish.

I posted the actual recipe last Thanksgiving somewhere on GTT.....

Mrs. Bear does all of the cooking and she wants to do it by herself.
I will bake the pies, bread and rolls since I have a little experience in the this area.....:laugh::thumbup1gif:

Then consume, clean up and fall asleep on the couch watching anything BUT the New Felon League.........:good2:

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
Our plans are up in the air. We will either be close by or far away, not sure at this point. The menu will be the same no matter:

Over roasted turkey
Stuffing.....pretty fussy about the stuffing....Pepperidge Farm Blue bag, fried bacon, hard boiled eggs, chicken broth, celery and onion
Gravy
Corn and peas
Butternut Squash
Corn Bread Pudding
Jellied Cranberry Sauce
Baked potatoes
All pretty standard stuff, but truly my favorite meal of the year.

Dessert will be:
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Mixed Berry Pie

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...Stuffing.....pretty fussy about the stuffing....Pepperidge Farm Blue bag, fried bacon, hard boiled eggs, chicken broth, celery and onion...
bacon.JPG

May have to try and sneak in some bacon in the stuffing this year.

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
Fry up the bacon. Then use the drippings to cook the celery and onion. Then add the finely diced hard boiled eggs and bacon. Last, add the stuffing and stir adding chicken broth until it gets to a not too dry/not too moist consistency. Good stuff:good2:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Growing up we always had Hogmaw for thanksgiving. My grandmother always made it. I miss it.

This year it will be at the wife’s parents most likely.

Turkey
Ham
Corn
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Green beans
Cranberry sauce or relish
Ham gravy
Turkey gravy
Stuffing
Rolls

Homemade pumpkin pie
And some sort of cake.

We won’t be going hungry. :no:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I almost hate to say what we do for Thanksgiving;

We are alone, never had kids and no family; they are all dead now so we don't do much anymore. Last year the wife did the turkey, gravy, potatoes, cranberry sauce with no friggin seeds, stuffing, and ginger cake with whipped cream, wife had a few white russians and I had a couple Glenlivets, she even set the real table (which is our catch all for keys, eye glasses etc.) instead of eating in front of the TV. The year before a homemade pizza! Yup that's right PIZZA and beer... Like I said we are alone so we don't do the normal Thanksgiving routine. The year before that we had Prime rib and sliced potatoes on the grill. Drinks are always involved and she makes a great margarita.. After that we head to the Legion like all our kid-less or elderly friends do for the rest of the day.. Maybe watch a game on the tube.. Great camaraderie, That's it. and I'm not a communist! :hi:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite days. After our son and DIL purchased a large home on four acres in Kansas, the mantel of hosting Thanksgiving moved from our place to theirs. Given my wife and I are more “Minnesotan” and our DIL is from Arkansas, this resulted in several points of culinary cultural shock, including grits, cornbread and fried turkey instead of the usual fare! (no hate mail…I love grits, cornbread and fried turkey, just not for thanksgiving). Worse yet, no leftovers!

Therefore we started a new tradition of having “second thanksgiving” on Saturday. This year’s menu includes:
Turkey
Mashed Yukon potatoes
Turkey gravy
Cranberries
Asparagus spears with bacon
Homemade yeast rolls
Black Walnut pie
Sparkling Cider

The next day we’ll enjoy German Potato Pancakes while feasting on the leftovers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok so maybe my family is a little weird. We all got tired of the usual thanksgiving dinner menu. So a couple of years ago my wife asked the kids what they wanted (our son is 30 and our daughter is 21) their answer was mexican. So we started a new tradition. We have a taco bar setup, enchiladas, burritos and chips, dip and salsa. Now it seems that everyone looks forward to thanksgiving dinner. Go figure. :laugh:

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
we will be staying home -we always have since both grandparents have passed on. back then it was butcher day on thanksgiving-which when i was kid it seemed like a mad house. the younger kids job that day was to sit a small cutting up table-and cutting the larger slices of lard(which is fat) into smaller pieces so it could be cooked down in a kettle-later. someone always cut their finger-both of my cousins learned if they sliced their finger's open-early into the cutting-and if they bawled loud enough-then they didn't have to cut anymore. :nunu: they still denial it to this day.:lol:
so we ate their for many yrs till the butchering came to a end. so then an uncle and aunt took over for that day-with the same meal-just not the headache of butchering to go along with it.

this yr the wife will make us probably just a turkey breast in her crock pot again--and just about the fixings to go along with it. we have left overs for a week afterwards. the boys and their wimmun's might come-might not:dunno: depends on what work schedules the wimmuns has fro that day. one is in the health field-so it's hard for her to get that day off. one yr the wife had on a weekend so she could come then.
i'm tasting a pumpkin pie now as i type one handed:mocking: she made the pies for her office as today was or is-bosses day. one apple and one pumpkin for there. she made one for here:yahoo:

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
we started a new tradition of having “second thanksgiving”
Essentially we do the same thing, only it's at Christmas. We have a ham dinner at our house on Christmas Eve and then a turkey dinner at my mother in law's when we go up there. That turkey dinner is an exact repeat of Thanksgiving dinner, and none of us mind one bit. In fact, I buy a large roasting chicken and make stuffing and all the fixings several times a year. It's not a hard meal to make and the kids love it.:good2:

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Ok so maybe my family is a little weird. We all got tired of the usual thanksgiving dinner menu. So a couple of years ago my wife asked the kids what they wanted (our son is 30 and our daughter is 21) their answer was mexican. So we started a new tradition. We have a taco bar setup, enchiladas, burritos and chips, dip and salsa. Now it seems that everyone looks forward to thanksgiving dinner. Go figure. :laugh:
Now for us that would be a great idea. We do Mexican every Thursday night at our local REAL mexican establishment... Not Americanised... And by the way, you are not weird! Or maybe we both are??

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Essentially we do the same thing, only it's at Christmas. We have a ham dinner at our house on Christmas Eve and then a turkey dinner at my mother in law's when we go up there. That turkey dinner is an exact repeat of Thanksgiving dinner, and none of us mind one bit. In fact, I buy a large roasting chicken and make stuffing and all the fixings several times a year. It's not a hard meal to make and the kids love it.:good2:
Don't forget Commissioner the turkey salad sandwiches after the fact! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
Don't forget Commissioner the turkey salad sandwiches after the fact! :bigthumb:
:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigbeer:

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
View attachment 480922

May have to try and sneak in some bacon in the stuffing this year.

Our Thanksgiving is pretty much traditional; I like my sweet potatoes baked with butter. There is one special dish that always perks up the meal, and I always somehow finagle getting it on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I really, really like it and I highly recommend it. Although the recipe is in the cookbook, I'm re-posting it here:

Oven Baked Bacon Wrapped Green Beans”

2 (or how ever many you want) cans of uncut green beans

1# sliced, hickory smoked bacon

Chili Powder

Open and drain the green beans; combine enough individual beans to form a bundle approximately 1

1/4 inch in diameter and wrap with a slice of bacon. Secure with a toothpick and place on a cookie

sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining beans and sprinkle with chili powder. Place in a medium

oven and bake until the bacon is done. Enjoy.
Note: if you prefer, you can use your own choice of seasoning such as BBQ dry rub, etc. I actually prefer a dry BBQ rub to chili powder. I use my own rub; recipe which is also in the cook book.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
No idea what I’m doing, but I’m sure it’ll be an adventure.
And, that great looking young lady "Ivy" will be with you.......I bet. There is nothing like a sharp as a whip energetic young canine to keep things interesting.....:bigthumb:

Personally, I prefer my dogs company to being around many people.......Not everyone, but many..........Dogs are always honest and don't put on airs. What you see is what you get and they don't have a malicious or brooding bone in their body. Plus they don't complain and are generally just happy to be wherever you are.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts