Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I'm looking at various suppliers of 2 cylinder engine parts. Sharps tractor parts looks to have a good deal on pistons.

Anyone else have some good suggestions? Wish I could find some NOS liquid propane pistons. They add a little more compression.

The pistons that came out of my 70 were # A 1303 GEP's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Right now, I'm looking at various suppliers of 2 cylinder engine parts. Sharps tractor parts looks to have a good deal on pistons.

Anyone else have some good suggestions? Wish I could find some NOS liquid propane pistons. They add a little more compression.

The pistons that came out of my 70 were # A 1303 GEP's.
There is another source I found about a year ago that had them cheaper than Sharp's. I will try to find that information and get back with you. I have a '47 G that I would like to put some compression pistons in sometime.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is another source I found about a year ago that had them cheaper than Sharp's. I will try to find that information and get back with you. I have a '47 G that I would like to put some compression pistons in sometime.
Ok, thanks. Just let me know if you find out. Otherwise, I may have to go with Sharp's. Been searching for even some NOS LP or even gas pistons with no success.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll double check, but they may be the place I'm going to order some seat cushions from. Will take a look.

All my back-up material is out at the farm........I'll check more this weekend!

New Restoration Parts For Antique Tractors | Buy Vintage Tractor Parts
Thanks Scotty. Yeah Steiner is a well known parts house. I'll take a look through their items. I think they had some good gasket sets in addition to other items. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another fellow tractor fanatic told me about a place in Massachusetts that sells engine rebuild kits. They've been around a long, long time. Foley Engines is the name. Waiting on a price from them for the JD 2 cylinders.
After viewing some of their other kits for 6 cylinder diesel engines, I may buy at least one for a large IH tractor.

When I have time, I'll share some pics of the pistons that were in the 70. You'll see why they cannot be reused.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another fellow tractor fanatic told me about a place in Massachusetts that sells engine rebuild kits. Foley Engines is the name. Waiting on a price from them for the JD 2 cylinders.
Was given some misinformation about this company. At this present time, they don't sell 2 cylinder engine parts. Would have been nice if they would have taken the time to reply back and let me know this.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If anyone else is in need of pistons, I'm holding off purchasing from Sharpe's. Found out about a JD dealer that has been helping collectors to locate NOS(New Old Stock) parts.

I hadn't contacted a dealer about pistons since I figured the price would be inflated. Turns out they don't carry them and are obsolete.

It's just too risky in my opinion to purchase used pistons without first seeing them up close.

Considering the amount of work involved, I don't need any headaches and do-overs caused by me trying to be cheap. :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts
If anyone else is in need of pistons, I'm holding off purchasing from Sharpe's. Found out about a JD dealer that has been helping collectors to locate NOS(New Old Stock) parts.

I hadn't contacted a dealer about pistons since I figured the price would be inflated. Turns out they don't carry them and are obsolete.

It's just too risky in my opinion to purchase used pistons without first seeing them up close.

Considering the amount of work involved, I don't need any headaches and do-overs caused by me trying to be cheap. :laugh:
Kinda dealing with the same issues myself. I'm finding that getting quality used parts are harder to come by. Ordered a differential gear the other day only to find it was cracked when it showed up.:thumbsdown:

If you find a good vendor, please share. I'll do the same.:good2:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kinda dealing with the same issues myself. I'm finding that getting quality used parts are harder to come by. Ordered a differential gear the other day only to find it was cracked when it showed up.:thumbsdown:

If you find a good vendor, please share. I'll do the same.:good2:
Oh man, sorry to hear about the gear issue. Wonder what that tractor had been used for that the differential gear came out of? I've experienced the getting a bad part ordeal. That can really be frustrating.

On an IH tractor I was working on, had to order a salvage part since this particular hydraulic related one isn't available from dealers anymore. It took a while to get the correct part # figured out so the salvage yard could know what I was trying to describe on the phone. Before I paid for the part I stressed to two different people at the business that I must have a part with an unbroken spring.
And, that this spring was what was broken on the original and was the main reason I needed another.

What did they send me? Another part with a broken spring.:laugh: Now I had two identical parts with broken springs. After another phone call was made, they finally got the order right.

I'll definitely share the info about this parts locator. Waiting to see if he can find what is needed.

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts
I seem to be collecting a pile of dead/broken two cylinder transmission gears.... Anybody need a broken differential gear? You pay shipping.:lol:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You may want to try Downing Tractor Parts. They found a used rim for my MT.

https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/Articles.asp?ID=133

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2
Thanks, I'll check with them again. Tried once before, but they didn't have them.

A different company says they have some, but when I compared what came out of mine with the pistons they advertise as for gas engines, they look the same. I asked them if they could help explain the difference, but they haven't so far.

Does anyone have pics of definite LP pistons? Mine are concave on top. I'm no expert on the differences.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Does anyone have pics of definite LP pistons? Mine are concave on top. I'm no expert on the differences.

I don't know about JD specifically, but a lot of modern propane equipment runs the same pistons for gasoline and LP gas. Maybe Deere did the same thing?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts