Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to have a 18x70 area paved. It would need to be excavated out and graded base laid down and compacted. Also a ramp up to the shed area. Total area is about 1250 sq feet.

I had a company bid it and it came back to about $2.53 per square foot. Does that sound reasonable?

One other reputable company just passed on the job as it was too small.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
That sounds like a good deal. I am in a little different situation. I have a paved driveway but need to replace the older section one of these years. One of the fathers in my son's Cub Scouts is part owner of a paving company that does driveways and parking lots. I spoke to him and he said $3-4 per sq depending on how good my base is. He came out and looked at it and said I have a good base so $3/sq and I have 5000 sq/ft to do so I am looking at $15K. Time to save up. In my case they have to rip up the existing and fix one small pot hole area and pave.

Of course there will be some fluctuation based on location.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
$2.53 a square foot is almost EXACTLY what I paid for the tigerwood floors in our house,,, :dunno:

Maybe you ought to put down hardwood?? :flag_of_truce:

You would think gravel would cost less than milled,,, nailed, sanded, finished, trimmed wood?

The gravel does have 10% tar mixed in,,,, :gizmo:

·
Premium Member
7,704 Posts
15 years ago when my driveway was done it was $1 per square foot. Concrete was $2 per square foot. I went concrete. So $2.53 does not sound bad at all.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'm looking to have a 18x70 area paved. It would need to be excavated out and graded base laid down and compacted. Also a ramp up to the shed area. Total area is about 1250 sq feet.

I had a company bid it and it came back to about $2.53 per square foot. Does that sound reasonable?

Are we talking paving in concrete or asphalt (HMA)?????

For that level of work, in concrete at (4" thick?) $2.53/sft sounds like a deal to me!

If it's HMA, there are too many variables to tell- thickness, type of mixtures, number of layers placed, etc. Though any type of paveing worth anything is a decent deal at your $2.53/sft quote.

·
Premium Member
7,704 Posts
I assumed HMA :hide:

·
Corndog Hater
11,687 Posts
Last year there was a new place built a couple roads over (not a booming area we live in!) and they were going to pave the driveway with asphalt. The paving outfit stopped by in a neighborhood canvas looking for other work while they were in the area. My driveway is asphalt and is cracked pretty bad from the garage past the house and out to the road, from the garage to the barn its in pretty good shape. They quoted me $2 per square foot to basically carpet coat and "relevel" the driveway surface with asphalt. I didn't think the price was bad and redoing the driveway is on our list, but way down our list. This outfit was from about 45 minutes away. I had always planned on using one of the local paving company's that we do business with at work. They aren't the cheapest, but don't cut corners and have a solid reputation. Good Luck.:good2:

·
Registered
391 Posts
My experience with asphalt is you will need yearly maintenance and it will likely need to be replaced within 10 years.

Seriously consider concrete you won't be disappointed next year or 10 years from now.

·
Premium Member
7,688 Posts
Does it have to be paved in concrete or asphalt?

A few years ago I redid our recycled asphalt driveway with recycled concrete. As I recall the area was about 4,000 square feet to a depth of 3" - 4". I think we put down about 150-tons at a cost of $14 a ton, which equals $2,100.

A poured concrete driveway would have been about $20,000.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/Driveway

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
$2.53 a square foot is almost EXACTLY what I paid for the tigerwood floors in our house,,, :dunno:

Maybe you ought to put down hardwood?? :flag_of_truce:

You would think gravel would cost less than milled,,, nailed, sanded, finished, trimmed wood?

The gravel does have 10% tar mixed in,,,, :gizmo:
You could be enjoying a paved living room for the same cost! What were you thinking?:lolol:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
You could be enjoying a paved living room for the same cost! What were you thinking?:lolol:
I tried to do that,,, the wife said,,,,, NO!!,,,, :nunu:

:flag_of_truce:

:mocking:

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts

I have a very good friend in the asphalt business so I called him up and asked him your question. He said as long as they are excavating and putting down a base, the $2.53 is a good price. Actually he said "very good price". As he stated, the size of the job is small enough that many bigger contractors won't want to bother with it as they have to haul their equipment out and when they are transporting, they aren't laying asphalt so it costs them money. In our area, the demand is high so the bigger contractors stick with the bigger jobs.

As long as the company you are quoting is reputable and you are familiar with their work and quality, then the price is very attractive. Personally, I would also get a quote on a concrete driveway as the asphalt will require sealing every couple of years where as the concrete will be much less future maintenance.

Also, if they are pouring an "apron" or a ramp, you want them to prep the area correctly if it is attaching to a roadway or other concrete surface. A clean square cut on the other surface is important but any reputable company should be aware of how to do it correctly.

We just had to repave our private roads last fall and we spent about $300,000.00.............Each homeowner had to pony up about $10k

One last point, as you likely are aware, the cost of asphalt is directly linked to the cost of oil as asphalt is a petroleum based byproduct. So with the oil prices so low right now, it should make doing this project now an opportunity........

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
One last point, as you likely are aware, the cost of asphalt is directly linked to the cost of oil as asphalt is a petroleum based byproduct. So with the oil prices so low right now, it should make doing this project now an opportunity........
I asked this same thing to the father that has the asphalt company in my Son's Cub Scout Den. I mentioned how with oil prices being way down, now might be the time to do it. He laughed and said it is like airline baggage fees. Those were added because of oil prices being high if you recall. Well guess what, you still get to pay today with the low oil prices. He said asphalt prices have never gone down as long as he has been in this business. The other thing is that in my case where they are going to rip up my driveway and redo it from the base, the driveway material that is removed will have to be hauled out to a place that grinds it up and resells it. Well he was saying how they used to take it for free. Then one started charging a bit to take it so they make money on both sides of the deal. Eventually all the places that take it thought this was a great idea and started charging.

Maybe there are some regional differences but I wouldn't count on it being cheaper this year than it would have been last. On that note though, doing it this year will likely be cheaper than doing it next year.

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts
. I mentioned how with oil prices being way down, now might be the time to do it. He laughed and said it is like airline baggage fees. Those were added because of oil prices being high if you recall. Well guess what, you still get to pay today with the low oil prices. He said asphalt prices have never gone down as long as he has been in this business.

The other thing is that in my case where they are going to rip up my driveway and redo it from the base, the driveway material that is removed will have to be hauled out to a place that grinds it up and resells it. Well he was saying how they used to take it for free. Then one started charging a bit to take it so they make money on both sides of the deal. Eventually all the places that take it thought this was a great idea and started charging.

Maybe there are some regional differences but I wouldn't count on it being cheaper this year than it would have been last. On that note though, doing it this year will likely be cheaper than doing it next year.
My friend says the local asphalt plant always tells all the contractors that "the prices are going up next year" and this year, they simply chose to not increase the prices over last year. The airline baggage fees are the exact same example I used with him. Incidentally, I read recently where the airlines collectively earned $300 plus million in "special fees" last year.......But rest assured, when the oil prices increase, the price of asphalt WILL INCREASE.........whether warranted or not. :unknown:

I have purchased the "regrind" or whatever they call it for one of my trucking warehouse business trailer parking lots. It worked well as I wanted to get away from the mud but didn't want the asphalt as the trucks turning and parking trailers tends to scuff it up. My main concern was getting a decent base so the trailer jacks stopped sinking in the mud and the mess from the drivers walking through the mud, etc.

I drilled the contractor who did our road project on the asphalt price issue and I also regionally checked asphalt prices since we were spending so much on our project and I was able to get them to drop the price about $10k overall, which is only about 3% of the amount we spent on our road resurfacing. But, here $10k and there $10k and pretty soon it adds up to serious money, especially when it's mine.:laugh:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a very good friend in the asphalt business so I called him up and asked him your question. He said as long as they are excavating and putting down a base, the $2.53 is a good price. Actually he said "very good price". As he stated, the size of the job is small enough that many bigger contractors won't want to bother with it as they have to haul their equipment out and when they are transporting, they aren't laying asphalt so it costs them money. In our area, the demand is high so the bigger contractors stick with the bigger jobs.

As long as the company you are quoting is reputable and you are familiar with their work and quality, then the price is very attractive. Personally, I would also get a quote on a concrete driveway as the asphalt will require sealing every couple of years where as the concrete will be much less future maintenance.

Also, if they are pouring an "apron" or a ramp, you want them to prep the area correctly if it is attaching to a roadway or other concrete surface. A clean square cut on the other surface is important but any reputable company should be aware of how to do it correctly.

We just had to repave our private roads last fall and we spent about $300,000.00.............Each homeowner had to pony up about $10k

Thank you very much for reaching out to your friend in the business. I think I'm going to go with the quote I received. I've used them before, the work is still holding up great, and they've got a good reputation around town.

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
I had my driveway done about 15 years ago; it is approximately 2000 sq feet, including the sidewalk. The guy took out the old concrete, hauled it away, set new forms, put in rebar and put a faux brick border around the drive and the sidewalk. It cost me $4500; he was about $1500 less than the other estimates I had at the time. He actually contacted me the second time with the price, because it was around Christmas and he wanted some work for his crew as the builders were shut down for the holidays.

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts
Thank you very much for reaching out to your friend in the business. I think I'm going to go with the quote I received. I've used them before, the work is still holding up great, and they've got a good reputation around town.
Glad I could help. Not only is the GTT website a great place to learn about a wide variety of issues, we have a great group of people who participate that are genuinely very helpful to one another. I have visited many different forum websites over the years, including many other tractor sites, and I personally find the GTT to be a tremendous group of people who treat each other respectfully and are very helpful.

Having John Deere products as a source of common interests is just one more benefit for all of us. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
22,694 Posts
This is an interesting topic for me as I had no idea how much paving a driveway costs.

So just for fun I used the $2.53 per sq ft (if per sqaure foot is correct) - my driveway is ~800' long and would want it to be 10' wide to accommodate delivery trucks. So that would be 8000 sq ft x $2.53 is $20k - Wow! I had no idea.

Guess I'll keep getting a tri-axle load of 2a every other year and keep it dressed up.......

·
Registered
21 Posts
So just for fun I used the $2.53 per sq ft (if per sqaure foot is correct) - my driveway is ~800' long and would want it to be 10' wide to accommodate delivery trucks. So that would be 8000 sq ft x $2.53 is $20k - Wow! I had no idea.
Guess I'll keep getting a tri-axle load of 2a every other year and keep it dressed up.......
Sounds like more :greentractorride: seat time. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts