Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering what everyone has been putting in there ballast boxes for weight ?

Some things i've seen.

1) Concrete
2) Sand
3) Rocks
4) Steel weights
5) Small Stone

:think:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have seen people put just about everything in them, if I had one it would be filled with something cheap. Think sand, gravel or base course. You can still install pvc pipes to hold tools if you wan't. I don't see the need for concrete? Maybe I am missing something?

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
I have three 3" pipes in mine and it's filled with concrete.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I have Portland cement in mine. I have been thinking of making an extension so I could add more. The 400cx can easily make the back of the tractor light with the weight box and four wheel weights.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Mine is full of bricks topped by a custom tool box in an extension.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I need to add more weight!!!

Well, after only having 4.2 hours on my new 2520, and never having prior FEL experience, I was moving a large stump down a slope and found myself ejected from the seat and rolling down the hill for 60 feet or more with the dual SCV rubber knob still in my hand...must have pulled it off when the tractor launched me on an aerial flight.. fortunately the tractor did not tip over.:flag_of_truce:

To say the least, I was scared sh..tless and wore the seat-belt religiously after that single event. The ROPS was up, and I really slowed things down a bit.

The ballast bucket has about 200 lbs sand in it and the tires are not loaded, so I'm thinking I need to max out the weight in the ballast box and keep it low to the ground when navigating the slopes....

I'd appreciate any suggestions to maximize the amount of weight I can get in my ballast box. Also, moving the wheels to "wide" setting will probably help some.

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
Well, after only having 4.2 hours on my new 2520, and never having prior FEL experience, I was moving a large stump down a slope and found myself ejected from the seat and rolling down the hill for 60 feet or more with the dual SCV rubber knob still in my hand...must have pulled it off when the tractor launched me on an aerial flight.. fortunately the tractor did not tip over.:flag_of_truce:

To say the least, I was scared sh..tless and wore the seat-belt religiously after that single event. The ROPS was up, and I really slowed things down a bit.

The ballast bucket has about 200 lbs sand in it and the tires are not loaded, so I'm thinking I need to max out the weight in the ballast box and keep it low to the ground when navigating the slopes....

I'd appreciate any suggestions to maximize the amount of weight I can get in my ballast box. Also, moving the wheels to "wide" setting will probably help some.
:gtt:

You need a LOT more than 200 lbs in the BB! Hate to say this way-but RTFM :read as it clearly tells you how much ballast you need. Concrete is your friend here.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts

Glad you are ok. People get killed doing what you were doing.

Here is an excel sheet that tells you the weight of the tractor and if you need ballast. Pick your tractor and your options.

Be safe.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?8-Deere-Compact-Tractor-Ballast-Calculator

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
U.D., if I'm going down a slope with anything in the bucket, I switch to 4WD. That way, if things get front heavy you still have some control.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
I was fortunate enough to get these before they went to scrap.
The ones I have are metric,at 44 lbs apiece. I have 12,and with a empty BB weight of 380 lbs,total is close to 1000 lbs.......980 actually.

What I really like about using these is the ability to vary my BB weight for what I am doing.

Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
The ones I have are metric,at 44 lbs apiece. I have 12,and with a empty BB weight of 380 lbs,total is close to 1000 lbs.......980 actually.

What I really like about using these is the ability to vary my BB weight for what I am doing.
Some people have all the luck.:good2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used Portland cement. I figured with rocks it would "get dirty" and gather rain outside while not being heavy enough. Though the concept of removable weight is nice, i really haven't ever wished that i had less weight out back. Either i want ballast or not.

Now if i found some of those nice weights glc posted for cheap.... :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Some people have all the luck.:good2:
Hey Randy
Well this time anyway.I was in the right place at the right time.
We,(company) no longer use the 20 kg weights.They went to the 25 kg,so these weren't going to be calibrated anymore. Lucky me I guess.:D

Greg

·
Registered
771 Posts
I leave the bucket on my 855 and my mowers seems to cut well. I sometimes put the 5' back blade on in the winter. I reverse it and let it ride the ground to help level out the snow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where can I get these weights?

Wow! Seems like a great solution and after my near tip-over I'm now a strong believer of more weight in the ballast box, especially with unloaded tires... can you provide a recommended source for low cost cast iron weights?

·
Premium Member
7,326 Posts
I've heard some guys use discarded lead wheel weights from tire shops. But who knows if that's still a source given commodity prices and I suspect the EPA would classify them as toxic waste.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Wow! Seems like a great solution and after my near tip-over I'm now a strong believer of more weight in the ballast box, especially with unloaded tires... can you provide a recommended source for low cost cast iron weights?
Hello UrbanDeere,
Unfortunately I don't have any info as to where you could find this type of weight,other than what I would do......Google.:D The only reason I have them is because my company uses them for load cell calibration purposes.

Greg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts